1960's Hy-Lo Japanese project

Bringing your older offset back to life.
joeld
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

1960's Hy-Lo Japanese project

Post by joeld » Mon May 22, 2017 4:40 pm

I wasn't sure if this is the right place to be posting this but I thought it would be best united here.

So, it's been about three years since I picked up a guitar to play properly and i wanted to get something cheap from the local classifieds to play. That's when I found this project for $60 CAD:

It's a 'Hy-lo' cheap Japanese guitar. I did some research and found out the company was pre Ibanez. The body is super thin plywood and the neck is super thick, so much so I think at some point someone recessed the heal to lower the action:

I haven't had a chance the remove it yet to see how good or bad the mod was (or even if it is a mod). It needs work but it plays really nicely. I love the neck. So, the next thing is getting a pickup- I know these had Norma goldfoils but I am wondering if I should just get a a cheapy replacement or maybe a p90 or something? Has anyone put one of those cheap gold foil acoustic pickups into an electric guitar?

Second is the body- the paint is all split and cracked, which I don't mind but I am wondering if I should just refinish it? Or maybe build a new body? I am not sure just yet, but I am happy I picked this up and it feels good to be playing again!

Supa-Stang
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 1960's Hy-Lo Japanese project

Post by Supa-Stang » Sat May 27, 2017 6:06 am

Looks like a fun project! What's the action like on it; you mentioned it was may have been sanded at the pocket to lower the action so I assume I might be a little high. If so consider setting it for slide. this brings me to pickups; the large area near the neck looks like it used to house something big, I'd seriously consider a Mojotone or Lollar cooder caster style short pickup which is designed to fit electric guitars https://www.lollarguitars.com/blog/2009 ... available/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or a Teisco style gold foil to keep the spirit of the guitar intact.

To that end I wouldn't be minded to refinish either. Just my thoughts!

CorporateDisguise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CorporateDisguise » Tue May 30, 2017 3:42 am

I picked up a similar guitar at a yard sale a few years back. Only difference is mine has the gold foil more in the middle position. The neck joint on mine like looks exactly the same. Almost no wood on the body side.

joeld
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by joeld » Tue May 30, 2017 11:53 am

CorporateDisguise wrote:I picked up a similar guitar at a yard sale a few years back. Only difference is mine has the gold foil more in the middle position. The neck joint on mine like looks exactly the same. Almost no wood on the body side.
That's a relief! It's funny, I saw another hy-lo online recently (different model) that had a neck heal that was smaller than the neck pocket if that makes sense? I need to take the neck off to have a look but I haven't had a chance to do so! I am having too much fun playing it!