Question - replacing tuner buttons on vintage Klusons

Bringing your older offset back to life.
Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Question - replacing tuner buttons on vintage Klusons

Post by Despot » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:19 am

Hey folks.

Anyone have any knowledge or experience replacing tuner buttons on vintage Kluson tuners for Gibsons?

I've just taken the tuners off my ES345 because the low E had started to degrade to the point where tuning would easily break the button off - the others haven't gone as far yet, but I can see that they're heading that way too and it's only a matter of time.

I've heard that you can replace the buttons (and indeed some sites have them), but I can't figure out how that works? Surely the wide/paddle part of the tuner stem can't fit through the narrow opening of the button - is some glueing or sealing required once they're on? Ideally I'd rather have the original tuners back on there rather than the Faber repros I have on it now.

Thanks

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Question - replacing tuner buttons on vintage Klusons

Post by mgeek » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:33 pm

It's been a while since I did it ('56 musicmaster where they had almost completely rotted), but pretty sure I just bunged the new ones on with a couple of light taps with a padded hammer.

Johno
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Johno » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:50 pm

Check out the Dan Erlewine videos on youtube, has one on replacing the old buttons. In his book he has a section on repairing them with if I remember correct super glue & baking soda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB3RVVye-gw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:51 am

Johno wrote:Check out the Dan Erlewine videos on youtube, has one on replacing the old buttons. In his book he has a section on repairing them with if I remember correct super glue & baking soda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB3RVVye-gw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Great - thanks for that!

Unfortunately these have shrunk/deteriorated beyond repair (the usual rot where they go the colour of brown sugar and shrink just before breaking off). I've seen it happen quite a lot on guitars from about 1959 to 1963/4 ... earlier tuners seem to fare better, as do later types.

I have modern repros on there at the minute that are doing the job well (and the button colour looks old, so they don't look out of place ) ... but I'd like to be able to restore the old ones and put them back ... as soon as I find the right replacement buttons.

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:52 am

mgeek wrote:It's been a while since I did it ('56 musicmaster where they had almost completely rotted), but pretty sure I just bunged the new ones on with a couple of light taps with a padded hammer.
Hey thanks mgeek - I knew I could count on a few old reliables to point me in the right direction. :)