Request for Jazzmaster Information

Bringing your older offset back to life.
greenbuild
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Request for Jazzmaster Information

Post by greenbuild » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:50 pm

I am in the process of trying to correct some terrible things I did to my 1960 Jazzmaster back in High School. Besides adding 5 more switches, a DiMarzio Tele lead pickup and completely rewiring the pickups - I hacked a big chunk of wood out (between the two pickups) to accommodate the pickup reconfiguration. There are three things that I'm looking for at the moment: 1) where to source period accurate wire to rewire the pickups, 2) A decent wiring diagram or pictures of the wiring, and 3) I'm wondering if someone might be willing to 'trace' the exact shape of the body in the area between the pickups as I am intending to replace this piece.

I'm also all ears with regard to matching the paint (Dakota Red)... And the little wires that used to be in the bridge thimbles are missing - are these simply guitar strings?

Any help or suggestions are appreciated. Any admonishments will be tolerated as whatever you might say about my youthful actions likely pale in comparison to the things I've already thought about myself.

Cheers,

John C.

will
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Request for Jazzmaster Information

Post by will » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:37 pm

1) where to source period accurate wire to rewire the pickups

-ebay or Stewart Macdonald... probably some other sources too. just do a search for cloth wire, 22 AWG. Stranded will be closest to the original

2) A decent wiring diagram or pictures of the wiring

- The easiest way to go is google "jazzmaster wiring diagram" or "jazzmaster wiring" - you'll come up with the original wiring diagram from Fender and some photos of the inside of Jazzmasters.
Also, this page has lots of images of the insides of a '58:
http://www.guitarhq.com/jazzma58.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3) I'm wondering if someone might be willing to 'trace' the exact shape of the body in the area between the pickups as I am intending to replace this piece.

- the shape between the pickups is just a rectangle, so it shouldn't be too difficult to clean up the damaged wood with a router and glue in a new piece of wood - was the modification done with a router, or was it done by a hammer and a screwdriver?

greenbuild
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by greenbuild » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:10 pm

Thanks Will,
I don't remember the brand of the hammer, but I distinctly recall that it was a medium Craftsman Flat Head Screwdriver that did most of the work on the wood removal. I had thought that there was a bit of a curve on part of the wood section between the pickups. Perhaps it will be self-evident after I clean up all the caulking that I used to smooth over the surface of the amputation.

I'm glad to know the wire gauge for the pickups. I had left the guitar with a friend for a year when I moved overseas. He decided to replace some of the wiring that I had done and in doing so - replaced the pickup wires with green and red plastic sheathed wire.

Thanks for the encouraging information.

Sincerely,

John Carroll

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:23 am

Welcome!

Aaw cmon man, you gotta show us that thing!!!
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

bencrit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bencrit » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:01 am

I have found ebay to be the best place for finding vintage wiring, harnesses, etc. I think your best bet will be to wait for a vintage wiring harness to pop up. You may have to look for a few weeks, and even set up and alert for one, but you can get them at a decent deal. Sometimes they will have pots, and sometimes they don't. If it has the pots, I would just use the wiring, remove the pots and sell them on your own.

Here is a complete one from 62. http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUTHENTIC-1962- ... SwgyxWWzcS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;