1965 Framus Elektrona restauration

Bringing your older offset back to life.
NelsonInstruments
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 1965 Framus Elektrona restauration

Post by NelsonInstruments » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:04 pm

I'm not sure exactly what you were disagreeing with.

Regarding my thought about having a new neck made I'm not sure why you'd disagree with the validity of that idea. Not saying I'm advocating that be THE WAY the should go, just saying it's an option.

Regarding the lower portion of the quote where I mention it could be a viable option in the event that repairing the neck would be 1)costly (to have someone else do it) or 2) the repair was poorly done and the neck was no longer stable functional.

Now regarding the rest of your post:

1) Why do you suspect they used hide glue?! Without asking them there is no way of knowing that. If they were mass producing "shitloads" of them as you said there is a good chance they did not use hide glue since it is a slower and slightly (SLIGHTLY) more nuanced process than just using PVA or something similar. Now I'm not saying that I have any first hand knowledge of what adhesive was used but I am saying I would personally be surprised to find out they did use hide glue.

2) RE: "it'd be simple to just run a little water in there, heat it up a bit, clamp and be done." If you are going to reactivate old hide glue you need to use some fresh hide glue. It would not be advisable to try to just reactivate 60 year old hide glue with some water. Consider the fact that both joints have delaminated. If the de-lamination was due to physical shock then they most certainly wouldn't break clean. Also if the glue joint just failed on its own then there is a chance that the joint could have been starved (meaning there may not have been enough glue in there anyway) so adding water wouldn't be a good idea. Additionally just adding straight water COULD cause the wood to swell making a good fit problematic.

Now let's say that the joint is/was hide glue. Also let's say that the OP ran a little water in there. How would you suggest heating that joint up to the 140 Degrees F that hide glue needs to be heated to?

With all due respect I think your suggestions might be ill-advised. Then again, what do I know. I've only been building guitars for about a decade and worked in the repair shop of a high end vintage guitar shop.

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 1965 Framus Elektrona restauration

Post by mgeek » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:30 am

NelsonInstruments wrote:
With all due respect I think your suggestions might be ill-advised. Then again, what do I know. I've only been building guitars for about a decade and worked in the repair shop of a high end vintage guitar shop.
Cool story bro :)