New bridge on a Kay K300

Bringing your older offset back to life.
knut
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

New bridge on a Kay K300

Post by knut » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:20 pm

Just got a 1960s Kay K300. It's in ok condition and sounds really good, but I want to give it a new bridge. I was thinking about something like this: https://www.allparts.com/TB-5126-001-Vi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... _3549.html

As of now, I don't know if the specs match, but will it work even though it's some mm off?

Here's the original bridge.

I'm totally new to this kind of modification, so all tips are welcome.

D_Rad
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New bridge on a Kay K300

Post by D_Rad » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:18 pm

More pics please!!...love them Kays...especially that color combo with speedbumps 8)

...had a Vanguard with similar needs and am pretty sure a tele bridge will work... 2 1/8" 54mm E to E?... measure string spacing on your current bridge see if corresponds(ish) as there is a bit of wiggle room. Do you have the bridge cover?.... that short tele might fit under. I ended up making a new bridge out of brass with dimensions based on the rosewood one. Big tone improvement and intonation was right on plus didn't change original look of guitar. sorry for the jumbo pics' my relationship with photobucket is over!

knut
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by knut » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:53 pm

Beautiful!

Unfortunately, I don't have the bridge cover. But a brass bridge like that would be perfect, and probably easier than the tele bridge since I don't have to drill any holes.
Did you buy the bridge without slots, or did you make it from scratch?

Here's the guitar. Love the maple top, and also the Kay-logo is super cool. All original except the pickguard and the p/u switch (which I don't mind). I also have to rewire it, as it has some issues.
Don't mind the large photos at all :)
I use postimage.org, btw. No signup required, you set the image size before upload, really easy to use.

D_Rad
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by D_Rad » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:34 am

.... Nice!.... thats a complete package of cool...tort is excellent on that color. If you can get away without drilling new holes all the better. Those bridge covers pop up occassionally for sale... be vigilant. Yes, made the bridge from scratch... cut a blank from a larger bar of bronze, that's what I had... measured old one I have and a piece of 3/8" square 2 1/2" long is all you need. It's fairly easy if you have access to a vice, hacksaw, handdrill and file...drill press and a beltsander definately helpful! .... can talk you thru it.

knut
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by knut » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:45 pm

Thanks!

I kind of assumed they were hard to get a hold on, but that's great. I'll look out for it!

Ok, cool. I don't have access to all that, but I can borrow some. There's also a couple of luthiers in town, so maybe they'll give me a hand.
But that would be fantastic, as I'm not that handy. Thanks!