1962-63 Jazzmaster project

Bringing your older offset back to life.
User avatar
Soiouz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3375
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:31 am
Location: Montreal, Canada

1962-63 Jazzmaster project

Post by Soiouz » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:33 am

...well, I am back in the game after some time without any offset project.

This is what I am starting with: a complete loaded late 1962 or early 1963 Jazzmaster. Only thing missing is the bridge pickup, but the guy I got it from says he might be able to find it. He has had it for more than 25 years in a box, never got time to do anything with it. It’s neck is sadly gone to a Strat some time in the 1980s.

The date is a bit unsure, and everything points to a 1962, but with a L10xxx serial number. She has tall bridge timbles, 22nd week or 1962 pots and a PatPend tremolo!



Image
Image

And a little mockup just for fun with all its parts and a road worn neck...


Image

User avatar
Soiouz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3375
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:31 am
Location: Montreal, Canada

Re: 1962-63 Jazzmaster project

Post by Soiouz » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:40 am

Shit, images don’t seem to load. Oh well, I’ll try again a bit later.

User avatar
zhivago
Mods
Mods
Posts: 20757
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:18 am
Location: London, UK

Re: 1962-63 Jazzmaster project

Post by zhivago » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:30 pm

Nice to see you here again, Soiouz! :)

Looks like a cool project for sure, opening the images in a new window makes them appear. 8)

I would host them for you, but my Photobucket account has been down for something like two weeks! :wtf: :(
Resident Spartan.

User avatar
countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3144
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:25 pm
Location: Tacoma

Re: 1962-63 Jazzmaster project

Post by countertext » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:00 pm

Soiouz wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:33 am
...well, I am back in the game after some time without any offset project.

This is what I am starting with: a complete loaded late 1962 or early 1963 Jazzmaster. Only thing missing is the bridge pickup, but the guy I got it from says he might be able to find it. He has had it for more than 25 years in a box, never got time to do anything with it. It’s neck is sadly gone to a Strat some time in the 1980s.

The date is a bit unsure, and everything points to a 1962, but with a L10xxx serial number. She has tall bridge timbles, 22nd week or 1962 pots and a PatPend tremolo!



Image
Image

And a little mockup just for fun with all its parts and a road worn neck...


Image
FTFY

Just right click or control click on the image (if you're on a computer) and open the image in a new tab. Then insert that url into the post.

User avatar
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3860
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:37 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: 1962-63 Jazzmaster project

Post by marqueemoon » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:44 pm

I sort of love the rainbow look of the stain on the stripped body.

User avatar
Soiouz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3375
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:31 am
Location: Montreal, Canada

Re: 1962-63 Jazzmaster project

Post by Soiouz » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:26 am

I am currently collecting parts to complete this... and am also wondering if I should leave the body as is or have a luthier friend refinish it... If I do refinish it, I am still not decided on the color, but leaning towards an aged and yellowed Olympic white. Suggestions?

User avatar
parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 8235
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:08 am
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Contact:

Re: 1962-63 Jazzmaster project

Post by parry » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:44 am

Nice project! 8)

With regard to colour - yellowed OLY is a great colour. But then again, so is what you've got. Ultimately it's up to you.. but on this side of the monitor, it looks great as it is. It's got a uniqueness and personality all it's own. Either way, you win.
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

User avatar
mcatano
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 212
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:01 pm

Re: 1962-63 Jazzmaster project

Post by mcatano » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:13 pm

That body looks so great, I would definitely leave it as-is.

User avatar
JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 695
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:54 pm
Location: Sydney, Straya

Re: 1962-63 Jazzmaster project

Post by JVG » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:40 pm

There is something curiously beautiful about the body. I’m sure it would look great refinished, but at the moment it looks amazing and completely unique. I would leave it this way.

Cheers!
J.

User avatar
Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 7252
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:48 am
Location: Burbs of Washington DC

Re: 1962-63 Jazzmaster project

Post by Jaguar018 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:01 am

If people here like the finish the way it is so much they should buy it from the OP. :P

I say: make it the color you want and enjoy!

User avatar
Funkybot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:47 pm

Re: 1962-63 Jazzmaster project

Post by Funkybot » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:03 am

I'd definitely refinish that one. Yellowed Oly white is a good option. The more yellow the better with that pickguard. A bright Lake Placid Blue or Sherwood Green would be cool too. That stripped body could not remain as-is if it were mine. :k (No offense ;) )

User avatar
Soiouz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3375
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:31 am
Location: Montreal, Canada

Re: 1962-63 Jazzmaster project

Post by Soiouz » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:12 am

Decision made: this will be aged and yellowed Olympic white for sure... Stay tuned.

User avatar
greens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:59 am

Re: 1962-63 Jazzmaster project

Post by greens » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:23 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:44 pm
I sort of love the rainbow look of the stain on the stripped body.
I do too, but without the burns/red.

User avatar
Wil_66
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:47 pm

Re: 1962-63 Jazzmaster project

Post by Wil_66 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:41 pm

greens wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:23 pm
marqueemoon wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:44 pm
I sort of love the rainbow look of the stain on the stripped body.
I do too, but without the burns/red.
I was kinda thinking clear coat it and polish...

User avatar
dadsoda
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:11 pm
Location: Phoenix

Re: 1962-63 Jazzmaster project

Post by dadsoda » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:46 pm

Wil_66 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:41 pm
greens wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:23 pm
marqueemoon wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:44 pm
I sort of love the rainbow look of the stain on the stripped body.
I do too, but without the burns/red.
I was kinda thinking clear coat it and polish...
Agreed!

Post Reply