Jazzmaster '63 vs. '65 (bound neck)

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
vin_x
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Jazzmaster '63 vs. '65 (bound neck)

Post by vin_x » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:04 am

Hi, I'm new of forum. I'm italian and I use to read your interesting gear conversation.

I'm about to buy an old Jazzmaster so, before to go. I'd like you should suggest me what to choose between a '63 and '65 Jazzmaster. What do you can say in terms of: feeling/sounding/aestethics/investment according your experience. Thanks in advance for your help.

thedude99
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jazzmaster '63 vs. '65 (bound neck)

Post by thedude99 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:54 am

Feeling/sound/aesthetics is up to you to decide. Play them and see which you like better. There is no right or wrong answer to that one. There is a high degree of variability in vintage instruments. You might like the 65 better than the 63. But with a couple other guitars you might like the 63 better.

On value - also depends. The closer to all original the guitar is, the more valuable it will be. Rarer guitars like rare custom colors will be more valuable than common ones like sunburst. All things equal - the the 63 will be worth more and will probably appreciate more as it is pre-CBS which is more desirable in Fender land. But if the 65 is all original and the 63 is a refin, the 65 is probably worth more.

No straight answer here, beyond all things being equal, the pre-CBS guitar is more valuable :-)

slimdave
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by slimdave » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:55 am

+1 on everything the dude said

To add something, if you're to play both, then decision will be easy, chose the one you like more.

If you're not able to play them, then you'll have to take the risk. (Pretty common in these internet days).

terminalvertigo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by terminalvertigo » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:44 am

I have a '63 and a '65 with a bound neck. the '63 has a big neck, thicker than the '65. I've been told the '63s tend to have bigger necks, which is also my experience with them.

can you play either of them prior to buying?
GoodDeals:Jaguar018-Skip-Scotty66-Noirengineer-Panoramic-Soundhack-Tribi9-Stereordinary-Dug-Ginnungagap-Loomer-Eupat-FenderBob-Franco-AWSchmit-PeterHerman-TweedleDee-Diceman-Prospect-Danocaster-Glimmertwin-Jetset-Staytuned-ukfuzz-Aen-Atomicmassunit-MT,etc

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:14 am

terminalvertigo wrote:I have a '63 and a '65 with a bound neck. the '63 has a big neck, thicker than the '65. I've been told the '63s tend to have bigger necks, which is also my experience with them.

can you play either of them prior to buying?
I've a Dec '62 neck stamp JM (which is, in reality, a '63 I'm guessing as it came with the blonde case). It has a pretty big neck (wide/round). I had a '66 JM which had a thick neck, but with a pronounced shoulder to the neck (more of a U - not as thick as a '50s Tele, but still beefy - so maybe best described as a shallow U). Both are thicker necks - but the feel of the '63 is somehow more substantial as it feels wider and rounder on the back.

For me that '63 neck profile is THE profile on a Fender. I've encountered the same neck on a '63 Strat and a L series Jaguar ... and it's always my preferred Fender type neck. If I were in your position, I'd pick the '63 - but it's personal preference. My advice would be to try both if you can and then decide.

vin_x
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by vin_x » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:29 am

THank oyu guys. Your suggestions are precious for me. I got an AVRI 62 and I find it sweet! I just changed the neck pick up with an original 60's pu bought online by an american guy and now the sound is amazing. Less darker, dry, bright with overtones :-*

I joined the JM at forthy and I think it's my perfect guitar to play in trio (before I played a Tele or the SG Jr.). I'd like to do an investment, and from your description the '63 is perfect for me.

Staff like that:
http://www.garysguitars.com/catalog/196 ... zzmaster-0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We'll keep in touch