"Why did you do it? Why did you do this thing to me?"

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
will
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: "Why did you do it? Why did you do this thing to me?"

Post by will » Sat May 09, 2020 9:43 pm

mgeek wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 5:13 am
The seller with that half made neck has got some wild stuff... historic though this may be - if genuine - it's just a lump of hacked around with pine at this point

https://reverb.com/item/33401120-1948-f ... y-employee
It is kind of like a museum artifact at this point. (well. ...a poorly-documented museum artifact?)
I'm curious what an actual reasonable price would be for something like this. It is more usable as a curiosity piece than a guitar.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun May 10, 2020 12:21 am

100 pages! Incredible! 8)
Resident Spartan.

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Sun May 10, 2020 7:04 am

will wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 9:43 pm
mgeek wrote:
The seller with that half made neck has got some wild stuff... historic though this may be - if genuine - it's just a lump of hacked around with pine at this point

It is kind of like a museum artifact at this point. (well. ...a poorly-documented museum artifact?)
I'm curious what an actual reasonable price would be for something like this. It is more usable as a curiosity piece than a guitar.
Where did the seller come up with the date? Out of his ass, that’s where. The body probably has some kind of cool history in it, but it’s not the one the seller claims.

simonhpieman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by simonhpieman » Sun May 10, 2020 1:56 pm

zhivago wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 12:21 am
100 pages! Incredible! 8)
Best thread on here, no question.

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Sun May 10, 2020 2:13 pm

countertext wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:04 am
will wrote:
mgeek wrote:

Where did the seller come up with the date? Out of his ass, that’s where. The body probably has some kind of cool history in it, but it’s not the one the seller claims.
Given the other stuff he's selling, I can well believe it's what it purports to be...but for that kind of money, in that kind of condition I'd want a few other bits! Or at least a bit more detailed provenance, some detail to it's backstory. I also wouldn't be confident that it's tonal mOj0 could be harvested either, with all the (factory, at the hands of Leo himself? who knows, they haven't said) dicking about it's endured.

sir h c
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by sir h c » Mon May 11, 2020 12:12 am

I would hope that if you get that, you meet the guy who was the Fender contact that it all came from to sit you down and tell you the whole story with photos and all.

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Mon May 11, 2020 7:27 am

I guess I should clarify my irritated comment. Leo Fender was making prototypes in 1949 that had smaller, angled control routs, before he came up with the now-standard Tele control rout. The snakehead prototype is a clear example of this, and it’s from ‘49.

So to say this is from 1948 sets off alarms, firstly because I’ve never even heard of a 1948 prototype - I’ve always read that the first prototypes were made in ‘49. The control rout is the real problem, though. If the seller said it was from 1949, I wouldn’t have even thought to question it. Everything else looks reasonably like changes you would make to a 1949 body to test ideas, but the control rout, I feel sure, pins it to no earlier than then.

I would bet it really is a prototype body used to develop the first Broadcaster, but why exaggerate how early it is? Choosing to claim that it was one year earlier than all known examples, thereby making it the One True First Fender, smells of scam. Seems a shame.

fartboy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by fartboy » Wed May 13, 2020 2:13 pm

https://www.flickr.com/photos/47755924@ ... ted-public
(Sorry for the clickable link, can’t share the pic for some reason)

My dad bought an offset body & neck with no hardware or electronics years ago. I think they’re Fender, but that decal And black headstock with maple fretboard isn’t exactly convincing lol. Since it was a blank canvas of sorts he upgraded it in his own inimitable way. It’s not the worst, but definitely not my cup of tea. Might turn it Back into some sort of early 70s musicmaster/dualmaster Frankenstein (already have a 66 Mustang so wamt another flavour).

Anyone got any tips on working out what this is, exactly?

will
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by will » Wed May 13, 2020 2:27 pm

fartboy wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 2:13 pm
https://www.flickr.com/photos/47755924@ ... ted-public
(Sorry for the clickable link, can’t share the pic for some reason)

My dad bought an offset body & neck with no hardware or electronics years ago. I think they’re Fender, but that decal And black headstock with maple fretboard isn’t exactly convincing lol. Since it was a blank canvas of sorts he upgraded it in his own inimitable way. It’s not the worst, but definitely not my cup of tea. Might turn it Back into some sort of early 70s musicmaster/dualmaster Frankenstein (already have a 66 Mustang so wamt another flavour).

Anyone got any tips on working out what this is, exactly?
...strange - is it a 24" scale neck or a 25.5" scale neck? (measure from the nut to the bridge)
Probably a mid 60's - mid 70's Musicmaster body with some routing for electronics, plus an unknown mystery neck - if you take off the neck and snap some pictures of the dates/numbers you see, folks here might be able to tell where it came from. (it looks a lot more thin near the nut than most Fender stuff I've seen.)

fartboy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by fartboy » Thu May 14, 2020 1:27 am

will wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 2:27 pm

...strange - is it a 24" scale neck or a 25.5" scale neck? (measure from the nut to the bridge)
Probably a mid 60's - mid 70's Musicmaster body with some routing for electronics, plus an unknown mystery neck - if you take off the neck and snap some pictures of the dates/numbers you see, folks here might be able to tell where it came from. (it looks a lot more thin near the nut than most Fender stuff I've seen.)
It's locked away atm so can't measure, but will do that. When I played it, the neck both looks and felt 'off'- action was weird, and it felt longer than the Mustang, different feel. I chalked it down to the bridge being wrong. Will take it apart when I have it back and see what's what. Will try to find a neck for it, but fender ones are ££££. Who does good replacement offset necks that aren't ridiculous money?

Dieca
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dieca » Thu May 14, 2020 1:58 pm

fartboy wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 1:27 am
will wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 2:27 pm

It's locked away atm so can't measure, but will do that. When I played it, the neck both looks and felt 'off'- action was weird, and it felt longer than the Mustang, different feel. I chalked it down to the bridge being wrong. Will take it apart when I have it back and see what's what. Will try to find a neck for it, but fender ones are ££££. Who does good replacement offset necks that aren't ridiculous money?
In the UK you'll find the cheapest are Allparts:

https://www.axecaster.co.uk/index.php?m ... cts_id=307

7.25 radius, a chunky-ish vintage profile and a fender headstock shape, I know allparts do make finished necks too, although couldnt see any 24 inch scale ones

Guitarbuild are a little pricier but you can spec them to order so would be good if you wanted stainless frets/maple board/something else unusual. Still not too much.

https://www.guitarbuild.co.uk/collectio ... tar-neck-1

A modern fender replacement neck can be had for a pretty reasonable price considering its all finished for you (and nitro too), obvs has the wrong decal though.:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079LZLLJ ... f=aa_scomp

Above that but cheaper than getting hold of a vintage neck would be ordering a USACG or warmoth neck from the states, I ordered a USACG on a few years back and it ran me about 350 quid with customs charges.

postchrist
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by postchrist » Thu May 14, 2020 3:23 pm

i mean if you want to restore it, old duo sonic/mustang/musicmaster necks are pretty affordable(around/even under $300 if you’re patient), at least in the us. can’t speak to prices in europe. they’re my personal favorites, and well worth the money imo. spent 370(iirc) on a 65 mustang neck a bit ago and the guitar i installed it on has jumped from a great guitar to a guitar that i don’t think i’ll ever sell.
whatever you do, don’t call daddy!

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Thu May 14, 2020 10:15 pm

will wrote:
mgeek wrote:

The thought of someone buying that body for any amount of money sounds fucking insane to me, let alone a year’s middle class salary

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Fri May 15, 2020 12:45 am

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 10:15 pm
will wrote:
mgeek wrote:

The thought of someone buying that body for any amount of money sounds fucking insane to me, let alone a year’s middle class salary
I feel like people just pull prices out of their asses on stuff. What would a 51 tele body be worth in that condition? 800 dollars or something if that.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Fri May 15, 2020 2:36 am

I could understand if it was like a working prototype or something but it’s a shitty hunk of wood with a bunch of other, badly fitting hunks of wood. Hope that seller ends up under A falling piano