"Why did you do it? Why did you do this thing to me?"

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Kinx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: "Why did you do it? Why did you do this thing to me?"

Post by Kinx » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:08 am

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and I think that my '65 "Van Mustang" fits perfectly into this thread

I found this poor thing on craigslist near Roanoke, VA last year. It has been modded beyond recognition and with very little sense of preservation. Whole body is oversprayed black with EVH stripes over it, tremolo, bridge, original electronics and even pickguard were thrown away and excessive cavities filled with wood filler. In the place of original pickups sat one Bill Lawrence L500 in bridge position and guitar also got new bridge from early G&L asat.
Funkiest mod of them all was probably the replacement of original tuning pegs - previous owner put 3+3 Schallers for LP style guitars, so first three machine heads turned in wrong direction But even in that sorry state, that guitar had something to it. Here it sits with my friend's original unmolested '65 mustang (btw this one was also originally red, as seen in neck cavity), both guitars were made in June according to neck stamps.

I took it home to Prague and had it partly restored. Local luthier repainted the headstock back with clear coat and put authenthic repro decal on it, put in gotoh machine heads, bridge position was corrected (it was slanted a little to the right), I had new neck pickup (SD antiquity mustang II) installed in neck position and put three way selector in place of tone control and installed coil splitting for the humbucker. This guitar rocks ! it sounds so awesome that even few very capable luthiers I know were in ave how can such poor looking thing play so well. Even though only original things that left in there is the wood, frets and most of the finish on the back of the neck, I love it to death. Here it is in it's current state on stage with me playing it

I did some comparison recordings between this guitar and that red '65 you see on the top photo and I was very surprised that both sounded very similar. The original '65 had a bit more twang to it and sounded a bit more springy thanks to the bridge, otherwise Van Mustang sounds very similar even with that crazy hair metal pickup (with coil tap of course).
Check out my band, The Atavists ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG-HZtrljMg

Mad-Mike
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mad-Mike » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:38 am

Kinx wrote:Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and I think that my '65 "Van Mustang" fits perfectly into this thread

I found this poor thing on craigslist near Roanoke, VA last year. It has been modded beyond recognition and with very little sense of preservation. Whole body is oversprayed black with EVH stripes over it, tremolo, bridge, original electronics and even pickguard were thrown away and excessive cavities filled with wood filler. In the place of original pickups sat one Bill Lawrence L500 in bridge position and guitar also got new bridge from early G&L asat.
Funkiest mod of them all was probably the replacement of original tuning pegs - previous owner put 3+3 Schallers for LP style guitars, so first three machine heads turned in wrong direction But even in that sorry state, that guitar had something to it. Here it sits with my friend's original unmolested '65 mustang (btw this one was also originally red, as seen in neck cavity), both guitars were made in June according to neck stamps.

I took it home to Prague and had it partly restored. Local luthier repainted the headstock back with clear coat and put authenthic repro decal on it, put in gotoh machine heads, bridge position was corrected (it was slanted a little to the right), I had new neck pickup (SD antiquity mustang II) installed in neck position and put three way selector in place of tone control and installed coil splitting for the humbucker. This guitar rocks ! it sounds so awesome that even few very capable luthiers I know were in ave how can such poor looking thing play so well. Even though only original things that left in there is the wood, frets and most of the finish on the back of the neck, I love it to death. Here it is in it's current state on stage with me playing it

I did some comparison recordings between this guitar and that red '65 you see on the top photo and I was very surprised that both sounded very similar. The original '65 had a bit more twang to it and sounded a bit more springy thanks to the bridge, otherwise Van Mustang sounds very similar even with that crazy hair metal pickup (with coil tap of course).
I rather dig that. That bridge pickup looks like either a Bill Lawrence XL500 or the Memphis supplied equivalent that came in the original Memphis A-2 guitars from the early 80's. They're not really that much of a hair-metal humbucker. I had one in my Harmony H-802 guitar years ago and it was pretty twangy. They are typically used in the neck position. That might be why it sounds similar.

I once built a home made Jazzmaster with that paint job. I've considered reprising that first body build I ever did by making another one like it except this time with a Floyd Rose and a much better neck than a Harmony H-80 strat could provide.

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:15 am

OH MAN MAN I HATE IT SO MUCH THAT I LOVE IT SOMEHOW!!! :wtf:
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

Kinx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kinx » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:40 am

Mad-Mike wrote: They're not really that much of a hair-metal humbucker. I had one in my Harmony H-802 guitar years ago and it was pretty twangy. They are typically used in the neck position. That might be why it sounds similar.
I have this pickup associated with Nuno Bettencourt of Extreme and few other 80's artists, that's why I call it hair metal :) it is very suitable for tight 80s hi gain tones, since it doesn't have too much low end, but it has lots of punchy mids and quite generous high end response. You are right about the twang, but I attribute that to slanted bridge position and combination of pickup eq characteristics/tonewoods.

here's quick video I did right after I got the guitar. https://www.facebook.com/krofian/videos ... _video_tab" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check out my band, The Atavists ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG-HZtrljMg

surfin_bird
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by surfin_bird » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:46 am

This guy only sells ugly misfits. With a big highlight on "ugly" :k
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Custom-Design ... SwxGRZf4RC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bdf83
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bdf83 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:24 am

surfin_bird wrote:This guy only sells ugly misfits. With a big highlight on "ugly"
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Custom-Design" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... SwxGRZf4RC
hell's teeth, those are brutal

eskmsaul
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eskmsaul » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:47 am

surfin_bird wrote:This guy only sells ugly misfits. With a big highlight on "ugly"
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Custom-Design" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... SwxGRZf4RC
In an alternate bizarro universe, these are the designs Leo Fender came up with and we'd all be on dumpyguitars.com

surfin_bird
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by surfin_bird » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:19 pm

Man the one is uglier than the other. But this one is maybe my favorite. Twice as expensive than the others.
Description says "minor dings". On one of the shitty photo's it looks like it has been banged around for 10 years.

I also don't get the "let's cut up a strat pickguard and use the scraps to make a bridge ring idea", that he passed on to multiple guitars :fp:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Custom-Design ... Sw6hNZf4mC

Maybe CITES isn't that bad at all.

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:47 pm

I feel like I should buy something from him so he can afford a lamp for his photo studio.

bdf83
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bdf83 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:30 am

countertext wrote:
I feel like I should buy something from him so he can afford a lamp for his photo studio.
I dont think that illuminating them will have a positive effect on sales...

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:27 am

bdf83 wrote:
countertext wrote:
I dont think that illuminating them will have a positive effect on sales...
:D

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:01 pm

Saw the first picture.

Read the description. "ONE OR TWO VERY SMALL MARKS IF YOU LOOK CLOSELY ENOUGH.

Thought "is this a joke or something?".

Saw the other pictures and realised what's going on
https://reverb.com/item/6460737-gibson-explorer-1993" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:28 am

MechaBulletBill wrote:Saw the first picture.

Read the description. "ONE OR TWO VERY SMALL MARKS IF YOU LOOK CLOSELY ENOUGH.

Thought "is this a joke or something?".

Saw the other pictures and realised what's going on
https://reverb.com/item/6460737-gibson-explorer-1993" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's maybe my favorite so far...

eskmsaul
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eskmsaul » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:58 am

What's going on there, exactly? I can't figure it out

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:30 am

eskmsaul wrote:What's going on there, exactly? I can't figure it out
im the same. just looks like an explorer to me.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'