The ARIA 1802t/1803t - EPIPHONE ET 270 DATABASE

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
TchikiSteph
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The ARIA 1802t/1803t - EPIPHONE ET 270 DATABASE

Post by TchikiSteph » Sun May 29, 2016 2:10 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:fixed my unwound link

TchikiSteph
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by TchikiSteph » Sun May 29, 2016 2:12 am

:derp:

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sun May 29, 2016 5:08 am

yeah. im a big unwound fan and it's the reason i want a et-270. but for now, i'll stick with my jazzmaster with the trosper quote from that video.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

clepx13
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by clepx13 » Sun May 29, 2016 6:59 am

TchikiSteph wrote:Yes I've got a pair of original 2nd generation pickups to sell.
They work perfectly.
I'm at work at the moment. I can post a picture of them this evening or tomorrow.
The way your text is constructed (the rythm) makes me think you could be French, which would make our deal easy if you're interested.
Of course I'm french, it is realy hard to hide I just hope that everybody understand my english.

Thanks for your proposition, I'm waiting for your photos. I've found a complete pickguard on ebay from an Epiphone ET270, but with the trapeze first generation pickups (and not in a very good condition), so it would need some adaptation to fit with the rounded covers. Not to complicated I think, but I'd prefer to find original parts.

Some pictures of the old punk Aria :

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Nice, isn't it? Of course I will keep it in its condition, even if this purple and this duck are just , I find it fun to keep the past of these guitar, just like a tatoo done when you're drunk that you discover the following day... (it is not a pesronnal experience)
Is it possible to date it with the serail number? I have some Matsumoku's at home (Aria Pro, Westone), easy to date with the first digit of the serial.

The original white paint under the pickguard (and under the purple) :

ImageImage

And my first work on the neck (before and after) :

ImageImageImage

The rosewood is very nice after oiling! And with new frets (and pickups), this guitar will have another second life.
See, like and share my personnal guitar making projects here : [url]https://www.facebook.com/Guitares-CG-lutherie-amateur-673740922673139/[/url]

TchikiSteph
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by TchikiSteph » Sun May 29, 2016 7:34 am

clepx13 wrote:
TchikiSteph wrote:Yes I've got a pair of original 2nd generation pickups to sell.
They work perfectly.
I'm at work at the moment. I can post a picture of them this evening or tomorrow.
The way your text is constructed (the rythm) makes me think you could be French, which would make our deal easy if you're interested.
Of course I'm french, it is realy hard to hide I just hope that everybody understand my english.

Thanks for your proposition, I'm waiting for your photos. I've found a complete pickguard on ebay from an Epiphone ET270, but with the trapeze first generation pickups (and not in a very good condition), so it would need some adaptation to fit with the rounded covers. Not to complicated I think, but I'd prefer to find original parts.
Haha don't worry, as I told you I guessed you were french just because of the rythm and construction of the text. I think it's the same for me.
But your english is very good ! ;)

I will send you the pictures of the pickups this evening. I got them for cheap last year so I will sell them for the same price if you want them (une quaraintaine d'euros la paire).

Regarding the proposition for the complete pickguard that you found on ebay, I would take it also if I were you.
The reason for this is I personally think that the first generation pickups sound a bit better than the 2nd gen.
If you take my 2nd gen pickups + the full first gen pickguard from ebay, you'll be able to simply swap the pickguards and make your choice.

By the way, I like this color a lot. I'm sure the guitar will be great with the work you're doing.

clepx13
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by clepx13 » Sun May 29, 2016 10:19 pm

I didn't see that you were from Paris... I'm living near Orléans, so at the world wcale, we are just neighbours.
I think I've seen your Aria 1802 restoration on lutherie-amateur's forum, isn't it?

I don't know if i'll buy your pickups and the ebay first gens, because the american seller didn't specify if he ships to France. I've asked him, I'm waiting for his answer to know.
However I'm sure that I will buy yours, 40€ is good for me if they are in good condition. And with your advices, maybe I'll find a first gen set later.
See, like and share my personnal guitar making projects here : [url]https://www.facebook.com/Guitares-CG-lutherie-amateur-673740922673139/[/url]

TchikiSteph
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by TchikiSteph » Mon May 30, 2016 2:35 am

clepx13 wrote:I didn't see that you were from Paris... I'm living near Orléans, so at the world wcale, we are just neighbours.
I think I've seen your Aria 1802 restoration on lutherie-amateur's forum, isn't it?

I don't know if i'll buy your pickups and the ebay first gens, because the american seller didn't specify if he ships to France. I've asked him, I'm waiting for his answer to know.
However I'm sure that I will buy yours, 40€ is good for me if they are in good condition. And with your advices, maybe I'll find a first gen set later.
Ok, that's fine !

No, the Aria 1802 restoration on lutherie-amateur was not me. I've only done small works on my Arias, mostly rewiring and fine-setting.
I didn't have the time to take pictures of the pickups yesterday evening, but I'll do it this evening for sure, I promise.

8)

TchikiSteph
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by TchikiSteph » Mon May 30, 2016 3:37 pm

clepx13 wrote:I didn't see that you were from Paris... I'm living near Orléans, so at the world wcale, we are just neighbours.

Check your PMs!

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:39 pm

michael79 wrote:I hav
:freako:
There's should no selling outside of the For Sale forums. That goes for all of us...

And you need 50 posts to get access to it.

anything300
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by anything300 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:59 am

Hi everyone, this is my first post here, thanks in advance...I'm looking for a tremolo arm for an Epiphone ET-275 which as far as I know uses M5 x 0.90 threads. I tried emailing the address listed on the ezpz website, and looked for the ezpz store on Ebay, but it looks like the guy Mike is no longer a registered Ebay seller, looks like the last auctions were about a year or so ago.

Does anyone have any new leads on how to find Teisco/Epiphone/etc M5 x 0.90 tremolo arms now?

Alternatively, does anyone know much about metalworking/machining? I was thinking about ordering a 5mm "push in"/"pop in" Wilkinsontremolo arm which has no threads, then seeing if some kind of machinist/machine shop somewhere could cut M5 x 0.90 grooves into the shaft to fit my Epiphone M5 x 0.90 tremolo system. Does this sound feasible, does anyone know of any machinists or companies that could do that?

Thanks!

UC3 wrote:Image

Hey guys,

I’ve contacted Mike from EZPZ some time ago regarding the Matsumoku tremolo arms and sent him something similar to this. He was very timely in his reply and also very appreciative of the information I sent him. Super-nice guy…

The original threads are an obsolete metric M5 x 0.90 diameter and thread pitch, known as Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS). JIS was intentionally and gradually phased-out beginning in the mid-60’s. The tremolo arm bushing that holds the tremolo arm is tapped as an M5 x 0.90. This obsolete JIS M5 x 0.90 metric threading does not play well with the standard 10-32 threads. One could attempt to re-tap the bushing to match the 10-32 threads of the replacement arm, but I don’t think there would be enough quality thread left inside the bushing to provide a robust connection. Furthermore, the tremolo arm bushing itself attaches to the tremolo fulcrum plate as a left-handed, M10 x 1.25. The M10 x 1.25 is a common metric thread, but the fact that it is left-hand and unique to this tremolo system alone would make one think a little more about doing any re-tap modifications.

The solution would be to begin threading your replacement tremolo arms as M5 x 0.90 thread and pitch because, although the obsolete JIS fasteners are no longer manufactured, the obsolete JIS taps and dies are still available from online tooling suppliers.

In about 1965 or thereabouts, the movement toward some standardization in metric fasteners was well under way, and the JIS** (Japanese Industrial Standards) people were beginning to align themselves with most of the rest of the world in making fasteners that would be interchangeable with the same thread specifications. The DIN*** standards seem to be the ones that were most favored and were adopted as the ISO* standards. As you mentioned, the main shift in the JIS screws was in the change from the previous JIS thread diameter and thread pitch to the now standard ISO specifications. This affected the smaller size fasteners the most, as far as the JIS screws were concerned. The more common sizes of 6 - 1.00, 8 - 1.25, and some others, were not affected.”

Prior to 1967, the Japanese had a unique system of bolt threads, defined under a JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) standard. Most of these bolts were the same as what we now know as a metric thread, but not all of them. In 1967 the Japanese adopted the ISO (International Standards Organization) standard for metric threads, changing the few sizes in their old standard that were different.”
The change from JIS to ISO resulted in some differences to the bolt heads, but the most important change is that the thread pitches for some sizes of bolts changed as well.”
Using a modern ISO metric fastener in place of a JIS fastener will probably cause issues including stripped threads and poorly fastened bits.”

The Old JIS thread diameter of 3mm and pitch of 0.60 became the new ISO M3 x 0.50
The Old JIS thread diameter of 4mm and pitch of 0.75 became the new ISO M4 x 0.70
The Old JIS thread diameter of 5mm and pitch of 0.90 became the new ISO M5 x 0.80
The Old JIS thread diameter of 12mm and pitch of 1.50 became the new ISO M12 x 1.25

*The International System of Units (ISO) in 1960 is metric and was one of many attempts this century to standardize metric bolt sizes internationally. The ISO standards are widely used, and bolt diameters range from 2 to 20mm in three varieties of metric thread pitch: the standard, fine and extra fine varieties.
**There are still JIS fastener standards today; they are just slightly different than the obsolete standards of the 1960’s.
***A further standard, almost identical to JIS is the German DIN (Deutsches Institut für Normung - German Institute for Standardization).

Here is an awesome link to a Honda Bulletin from 1967 noting the changes.

http://www.drooartz.com/woad-local/medi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... hreads.pdf

Hope this clears some things up.

Mark

Just for grins... some original ends.

TheHood
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by TheHood » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:59 am

Hi every one!

This is my first post here,but im a longtime visitor of this webpage and this topic. Im a longtime fun of aria, and epiphone et guitars, and you seemed really informated and i have some quistion for you guys. Now, I have a chance to buy one, pretty cheap. This guitar is a sunburst one from the 80's with the, with the second generation strat style pick ups. My quistion is: how this pick ups compaired with the old trapezoid ones? Im more like a humbucker lover but im really liked the sound of the old ones. And how this late 80s guitars compared with the old seventies ones? Have any differencies on the woood? Size of the neck? Sound? Playability ? Construction ? Can it compared it together? Have someone any experience? Can I need to do something basic modding if i buy this guitar?

Thanks!

FMD
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by FMD » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:38 am

Production of these guitar models seems to have ceased around 76. The strat-style pickups seem to have run just the last few years.

I have not personally compared the two, so I can't comment on the tone, but everything else about the guitars throughout their run should be virtually identical.

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:48 am

I haved the 2 and the second génération with the stratish pups are more powerfull ,it Is the only différence between the 2 versions ,the Wood and the others parts are the same moreover if you have pickguard version 1 or 2 it Mount on 1 version or 2 guitare
On the 2 i have the neck are perfect quartersawn

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:09 am

Been listening to a lot of unwound and I wanna try and snag an Epiphone or an Aria. One thing I'm worried about though is the tremolo - do they work or is it basically unusable if you wanna stay in tune?

I really wish we saw more innovation like this these days, but I'll settle for Squier offsets I guess!

TchikiSteph
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by TchikiSteph » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:53 pm

Mechanical Birds wrote:Been listening to a lot of unwound and I wanna try and snag an Epiphone or an Aria. One thing I'm worried about though is the tremolo - do they work or is it basically unusable if you wanna stay in tune?

I really wish we saw more innovation like this these days, but I'll settle for Squier offsets I guess!
Definitely a great tremolo, very usable and reliable. The guitar stays correctly in tune provided you don't try to use the trem as a divebomb/floyd thing.
Absolutely great for surf/60's stuff.