Vintage Nels Cline w/Mike Watt footage! (heavy pre-CBS content)

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Paco
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Vintage Nels Cline w/Mike Watt footage! (heavy pre-CBS content)

Post by Paco » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:33 pm

I love running into random archives of videodude's from the 90's and 00's! Some of them remain hidden on youtube, but today I unearthed some curious vintage footage of our offset hero, Nels Cline. And of course, Watt (Nels black jazzmaster gifted to him by Mike Watt, this band's leader) makes a stellar appearance. Nels is on complete and absolute FIRE on this video, even Watt is looking at him like :whistle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCm2lZM ... Earldotcom

There's also some important footage of Nels pedalboard pre-Wilco! I recognize some staples from his rig, like the Klon or the CS-3, and I can hear the VB-2 but I can't actually see it (?) I'd love if we could identify the whole chain. I can't see the amp cause it seems like all amps were on the side stage. If so there's a Marshall around, maybe a JCM900 by the sound of it. His tone is just amazing :-* The black jazzy is still super black at this point in time and not that beat up! But Nels is so physical with this guitar already, he looks so familiar with it, like it's another arm or something. And the audience is loving it, obviously. I can perfectly imagine Jeff Tweedy (a huge Minutemen and Mike Watt fan) watching this show and being impressed enough by Nels to offer him a job. I mean. Damn.

A lot of Boss pedals, crappy colored patch cables, black combat boots, Levi's 501's and pre 9-11 vibes all around! You gotta love this video ::) This same channel also has a Beachwood Sparks show (from the same day I believe!) with the gone but not forgotten Neal Casal that absolutely rocks.
Last edited by Paco on Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Vintage Nels Cline w/Mike Watt footage! (heavy pre-CBS content)

Post by andy_tchp » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:41 pm

You might like some of the Banyan live videos that are also floating around on Youtube from around this era or a little later.

Also the Nels Cline Singers/Nels Cline Trio depending what you're into.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Jonesie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jonesie » Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:22 am

This is great. There's definitely only one Watt in the world. The man is fucking singular.

Scout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Scout » Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:27 am

Just saw Nels cline last month and Mike Watt last October at my favorite venue, Solar Myth.

Both were 5’ away, got some great pics and video of Nels, outstanding shows, both of them.

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 46346 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:19 am

this so great. i remember this show! it was the only time that i've heard Nels 'sing' on stage... i lived three blocks away, and as neighborhood residents, we had free admission to the entire festival. Sunset Junction was a real freak show! i was just getting to know Nels from local indie free/noise shows, and that's our pal Bob Lee on drums - this is the 'Black Gang' trio that toured for Watt's solo albums, and sometimes our pal Joe Baiza was the guitarist. i recently reconnected with Bob when he invited me to play on an album he produced produced, featuring Watt and many other local luminaries (the Loteria double LP - https://orgmusic.com/products/orgmlotebl-lp). and i get to play with Joe from time to time. i miss seeing them all play together, though i still get to see each of them regularly, and sometimes in pairs. maybe someday we'll see a Black Gang show.

pretty sure i can hear my younger self shouting "Yeeeah" in beteween songs here :)
Cat Museum, ACME, Malcolm Mooney, Dream Apes, The Cooling Time, Kind Hearts and Coronets, Quarks