Pre CBS Jaguar Body Wood - Alder or something else?

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
shigginpit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Pre CBS Jaguar Body Wood - Alder or something else?

Post by shigginpit » Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:20 pm

ThePearDream wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:08 pm
I brought this up, because someone else had stated that Fender only kept Alder and Ash (and maple and rosewood) around, which was incorrect
I only quoted you because you were correct and I didn't want to present it as though it was only my own singular revelation having not read the rest of the thread, sorry if there was some confusion as to the reason. Everything else I said was intended as general narrative. You have, however, presented some of the same line of thinking that I was after in your follow up post.

Anyhow, I'll try and figure out a better way to segue out of a quote into addressing a topic.
offset since 1994.

PlayWithPride
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by PlayWithPride » Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:01 am

Highnumbers wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:33 pm
sal paradise wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:52 pm
On an electric guitar with paint over the body, the sound, attack & feel is highly unlikely to be affected by the type of wood (assuming it’s a dense wood).
The wood certainly does make a difference. Whether some people can’t hear that difference is another discussion.
It certainly does make a difference in terms of weight (potentially) and, if it has a transparent finish, looks. Beyond that your argument is with the laws of the universe (physics) and not with those of us who know better. One should learn how electric guitars actually work before debating that point. :w00t:

Highnumbers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Highnumbers » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:28 am

PlayWithPride wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:01 am
Highnumbers wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:33 pm
sal paradise wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:52 pm
On an electric guitar with paint over the body, the sound, attack & feel is highly unlikely to be affected by the type of wood (assuming it’s a dense wood).
The wood certainly does make a difference. Whether some people can’t hear that difference is another discussion.
It certainly does make a difference in terms of weight (potentially) and, if it has a transparent finish, looks. Beyond that your argument is with the laws of the universe (physics) and not with those of us who know better. One should learn how electric guitars actually work before debating that point. :w00t:
Always annoying when people with zero practical experience try to vehemently argue their point online. It's everything that's wrong with the internet.

The wood density absolutely does make a difference, you can try to point at science, you can write all sorts of backhanded insults at people online and it won't change the fact that an ash bodied 60s offset Fender sounds distinctly different than alder.

But hey, hopefully one day you get the opportunity to actually try this for yourself, keyboard warrior.