Is "vintage = pre-1980" still a useful frame?

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Re: Is "vintage = pre-1980" still a useful frame?

Post by Maggieo » Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:43 am

Yep. So true.

Jackson is 13, and has been losing weight. I'm worried.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Is "vintage = pre-1980" still a useful frame?

Post by 46346 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:59 pm

Twang Deluxe wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:39 am
For me the vintage Fender era ended in 1981/1982 when Fender stopped producing in Fullerton
aye. i think in the broadest sense, for American products, "vintage" tends to apply to that era of manufacturing by hand. cars, guitars, amps... i remember when TV's were union made in Chicago, Pennsylania, Missouri... they were roughly $300 back then, much costlier than now, but they were mostly hand-built by the people who might actually buy them, our neighbors, or maybe even family.

the values of that method were sold to the lowest corporate bidders in the 80's during the Reagan era , and in general that's when worker value and build quality tanked here in the U.S. there wasn't much special being built here, American cars were well into an era we call Malaise. only ten years later 'vintage' would become a thing as some of us consumers started to mourn the loss of quality off the shelf, and sought out used gear of a certain vintage.

luckily meanwhile in 1980's Japan, they had their decade of pride in quality.

so i think 1980 is a good cutoff for vintage American,
but Japan carried the torch through at least 1990. a 1985 Greco or 1990 Burny might very well be vintage for it's build process and quality.
Cat Museum, ACME, Malcolm Mooney, Dream Apes, The Cooling Time, Kind Hearts and Coronets, Quarks