NGD ; 1976 Starcaster

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
gishuk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NGD ; 1976 Starcaster

Post by gishuk » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:08 pm

Well technically it was last week but still counts as a NGD right?

I saw this in the classifieds and was immediately interested in it. Talked a bit with the seller simonhpieman and a deal was done. We live close enough that he delivered it to me himself which was great, thanks for that mate and for hanging out in the baking sun while the bank transfer took its sweet ass time to go through!

Although I had built a couple of Starcasters myself from plans drawn up by someone on here ( I don't remember who I'm sorry :-[ ) , they were built like a Tele thinline and not laminated and arched like the real thing. So I knew the shape was super comfortable for me but hadn't ever tried the real thing, or a reissue, so a bit of a shot in the dark to if I'd like it or not but its really fantastic.

This might just be the best guitar I've ever played. Honeymoon period still I know, but it really is something special. The neck is just effortless and the range of tones from those WRHBs is something else, they really are incredible. And it even has a tight fitting neck pocket, especially by CBS standards!

Only a couple of indoor photos for now, I'll take some better ones outside when I get a chance and actually put the thing down.

And if you're anything like me and have always wondered whats inside the pickup cavities of one of these, wonder no more.
Weird wiring (all the pots and encased in what look like mints tins for shielding) and what looks to be some kind of quick connect system for the pickups. Never seen anything like that in a Fender before.

Also if anyone knows of a pickguard and bracket for one of these for sale anywhere hit me up. I prefer how it looks without it but would like to have one just in case.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD ; 1976 Starcaster

Post by BoringPostcards » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:41 pm

Congrats, I always loved those. Played the Reissues, but they were all super heavy tanks, so I didn't bite.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

simonhpieman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by simonhpieman » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:57 am

Glad you're enjoying it, was good to meet you!

That neck, right?! And the middle position is REALLY nice! Treat it well :)

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:01 am

Beautiful!!
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

Super Reverb Swell
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Super Reverb Swell » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:27 am

That quick connect idea is great - fishing electronics through a hollowbody is no fun.