Mustang "sausage"/"cigar" compatibility

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Blomberg
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Mustang "sausage"/"cigar" compatibility

Post by Blomberg » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:52 pm

HNB wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:45 pm
Yeah it came out of the plate fine. Just hook the springs to the new posts and tube. :)
Superb, thanks :)
Just wanted to know if the posts were supposed to be removable, since mine don't seem to be.
Might just be some warping of the plate around the holes or corrosion on the posts then, I guess.
Anyway, if I get the vintage cigar, I shouldn't need to remove them, so we'll see.

Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Con-Tiki! » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:38 pm

you can't pull that tube, with the posts attached, straight out of the plate.
tube sits on top, posts thread up from the opposite side (underneath) so that it stays together. It's flared out under the plate, so that it can rock a little.

if you don't have allen wrenches that fit, you can unscrew the posts with a pair of pliers.
On my '66, i was able to unscrew them by hand.
(Christopher, also)
I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing i ever heard come out a pair of headphones.

Blomberg
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Blomberg » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:38 pm

Con-Tiki! wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:38 pm
you can't pull that tube, with the posts attached, straight out of the plate.
tube sits on top, posts thread up from the opposite side (underneath) so that it stays together. It's flared out under the plate, so that it can rock a little.

if you don't have allen wrenches that fit, you can unscrew the posts with a pair of pliers.
On my '66, i was able to unscrew them by hand.
No, I know. I have had the tube off, screwed off the posts just fine. I'm talking about then getting the posts out of the plate, as mine seemed to not just pop out (after removing the springs, obviously). But anyway, I can't get to it right now, as it's all assembled again. I'll see what it looks like once I receive one of the new tubes, might not be an issue after all.

Blomberg
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Blomberg » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:11 am

HNB wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:51 pm
This is the thread.

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... 41&t=81911
Thanks. Interesting thread, not just for the vibrato stuff. I might want to do something similar finish-wise with my Stang (once I fix the gaping hole in the body ).