The hunt for pencil marks

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
thisisnickpaige
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

The hunt for pencil marks

Post by thisisnickpaige » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:38 pm

I’ve seen people do this before, and I have sandpaper and some citristrip. What’s the best method for removing just enough paint while not taking off the pencil marks on a ‘65 Jazzmaster body? Thinking neck pocket, the space between the pickup routes, and in the trem hole.
Jesus

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The hunt for pencil marks

Post by Ursa Minor » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:48 pm

I did a thread some years back about a refin 64 I had. Citristrip in a few spots revealed pencil marks without destruction. I eventually prepped the whole thing for a Danocaster refin. Didn't actually reveal too much since pencil dates on bodies stopped some time in '63, maybe early '64?

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... hp?t=75721

Always loved uncovering that stuff though. Don't be too afraid. Just take your time but make sure to not let the stripper sit too long. I remember it was pretty easy to get a feel for it.
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

thisisnickpaige
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thisisnickpaige » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:51 am

kosmonautmayhem wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:48 pm
I did a thread some years back about a refin 64 I had. Citristrip in a few spots revealed pencil marks without destruction. I eventually prepped the whole thing for a Danocaster refin. Didn't actually reveal too much since pencil dates on bodies stopped some time in '63, maybe early '64?

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=75721

Always loved uncovering that stuff though. Don't be too afraid. Just take your time but make sure to not let the stripper sit too long. I remember it was pretty easy to get a feel for it.
Dude, thank you! I thought I remembered there was a thread about this somewhere. So then how do you date a ‘65 body as genuine, minus digging for the body dowels?
Jesus

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:57 am

Glad to help!

I don't know if you can specifically date to '65. Dowels will help. Is there anything in the neck pocket? You will still find pencil marks which may be helpful since they could be similar to markings from comparable guitars in 65 or earlier. You can also look carefully at the shape, the routes, the dowels.

Hoping others may chime in on some of the little details. There might be something obvious I may be forgetting.
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.