Fender Electric XII Saddle Buzzing

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
akpasta
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Fender Electric XII Saddle Buzzing

Post by akpasta » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:21 pm

Hi Folks,

I've got a 66' Fender XII with saddle "sitar" sounding buzz coming from the high D octave and high G octave.

Some backstory: I've had the frets replaced on this guitar. I've also had a new nut made and I've added some spacers between string saddles at the bridge. Both the new nut and bridge saddle spacers were done to reduce vibration of string pairs against each other, which was also causing buzz.

I've still got this awful sitar-like buzz coming from the high D octave (.13 gauge) and high G octave (.10 gauge). The buzz happens open and everywhere up the neck. I've been told by two separate guitar shops that it HAS to be the saddles. To test, I flipped both saddles upside down, which exposed each string to a clean, un-used saddle. Still buzzes.

The only other thing a local shop said that I could possibly do is to cut paths in the saddles for the strings so ensure they are not vibrating on a leading edge of the saddle. Should I do this?

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks.

I previously asked about this here: http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... 8e5#unread But started a new thread because I am certain what the problem is now.