Bass VI tuner button broke

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Tele295
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Bass VI tuner button broke

Post by Tele295 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:35 pm

Restringing my 65 L-series Bass VI, and the button on the D tuner broke and now spins freely.

This is a players instrument and has had parts changed over the years. Sometime in the late 70’s/early 80s, the Kluson in line tuners were replaced with Fender F cover tuners. Different hole pattern. Both sets of holes can be seen on the neck. I’ve had the guitar since the late 80’s.

So where can I get a replacement? If I have to change the whole set back to Kluson style, that’s ok, but I can’t seem to find any replacements. Of course, the string channels are larger than they would be for regular guitar tuners.

Please?
The natives are restless tonight......

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Bass VI tuner button broke

Post by oid » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:29 pm

Bass VI strings fit in my AVRI Jazzmasters tuners, those are klusons, at least the set of slinky strings I got did. So standard klusons may do you just fine.

Edit: are they klusons on the AVRI? I really should know this since I play it daily.
Logic gates based on billiard-ball computer designs have also been made to operate using live soldier crabs of the species Mictyris guinotae in place of the billiard balls.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:48 pm

yes they fit, I used that type when I built my bass VI some years back... but the shaft diameter is dramatically smaller than the tuners made for Bass VIs
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:22 am

I cannot help, but in regards to your last post, the diameter is different, but do the strings fit? Does it affect anything?
Eric Harris: I’m sorry I have so much rage, but you put it on me.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:47 pm

Yeah the strings can be strung with no issues.
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by oid » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:45 pm

You would most likely have finer tuning and a slight increase in the risk of string breakage at the tuning posts. String life should still be plenty good, I played the Bass VI set on my Jazzmaster for around a year and that set was still going strong when I switched back to guitar strings. The finer tuning most do not really notice and few that do are bothered by it.
Logic gates based on billiard-ball computer designs have also been made to operate using live soldier crabs of the species Mictyris guinotae in place of the billiard balls.