Fender Guitar/Amp mating chart - are YOU using the right amp?!

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
User avatar
s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 14036
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:30 am
Location: glasgow

Re: Fender Guitar/Amp mating chart - are YOU using the right amp?!

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:47 pm

clef051 wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:32 pm
Will I die from not using a fender amp?????
not instantly, it will be a slow death and when you do die, you will be sent to a special circle of hell where you have to listen to nothing but nickleback and all their clones forever
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

User avatar
MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 313
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:28 am
Location: Linz, Austria

Re: Fender Guitar/Amp mating chart - are YOU using the right amp?!

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:52 am

offsets4life wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:33 am
One should probably not plug a Jazzmaster into the Bright channel of a 68 Bassman with a 2X15" cab. ;)
Why exactly do you think that? :)
Some time ago I borrowed two 70s Bassman amplifiers, the 50 and the 100 version and now I own a 68 dripedge Bandmaster.
And I only played them through a 2x15 cab. And from time to time I even pushed that nasty Bright switch and actually liked the sound very much. Also with Fuzz and Reverb. Gives it a dirty (but not too dirty) Surf flavour! :)
I played a Jag though...

User avatar
s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 14036
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:30 am
Location: glasgow

Re: Fender Guitar/Amp mating chart - are YOU using the right amp?!

Post by s_mcsleazy » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:09 am

well i use a modded sf bassman as both a guitar and bass amp. i dunno why but every single coil guitar i use sounds like built to spill or neil young.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

User avatar
Paul-T
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:41 am
Location: London

Re: Fender Guitar/Amp mating chart - are YOU using the right amp?!

Post by Paul-T » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:45 am

My (indie) band played a shithole in Lincolnshire once - I was using my Jazzmaster and Vox Phantom Special through a Bandmaster, bassist had Jazz base and Ampeg.

The promoter refused to pay us because "the amps were all different".

I don't miss the 80s.
"classic marked down to 20 pence bargain bin fodder'

User avatar
Trout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 578
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:32 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Fender Guitar/Amp mating chart - are YOU using the right amp?!

Post by Trout » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:55 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:09 am
well i use a modded sf bassman as both a guitar and bass amp. i dunno why but every single coil guitar i use sounds like built to spill or neil young.
All set then 8)
#sitdownrock found at https://soundcloud.com/oldguywithaview

User avatar
MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 313
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:28 am
Location: Linz, Austria

Re: Fender Guitar/Amp mating chart - are YOU using the right amp?!

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:40 am

Paul-T wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:45 am

The promoter refused to pay us because "the amps were all different".

I don't miss the 80s.
What???
That's a real cheap excuse...
Different to each other, different to photos that show you playing at other venues?

User avatar
s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 14036
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:30 am
Location: glasgow

Re: Fender Guitar/Amp mating chart - are YOU using the right amp?!

Post by s_mcsleazy » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:08 am

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:40 am
Paul-T wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:45 am

The promoter refused to pay us because "the amps were all different".

I don't miss the 80s.
What???
That's a real cheap excuse...
Different to each other, different to photos that show you playing at other venues?
weirdly, i have a similar story. so there was this one venue i played. so it was the only pay to play gig i did at the time, we sold all the tickets. our friends brought a lot of drinks. these are usually what promoters look for in a band. we were also told there would be a venue photographer there taking pictures of us. we got told after the gig we were not going to get paid because "your look doesn't match with the rest of the bands on the line up"
what do you mean?
"well all the other bands are dressed nicely and somewhat like one another, you guys look like a mess"
we sold all the tickets and our friends brought a lot of drinks, we pulled in more than any other band
"but our photographer is trying to build a portfolio and you guys are making her look bad."
by dressing normally?
"yes"
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

User avatar
Paul-T
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:41 am
Location: London

Re: Fender Guitar/Amp mating chart - are YOU using the right amp?!

Post by Paul-T » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:00 am

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:40 am


What???
That's a real cheap excuse...
Different to each other, different to photos that show you playing at other venues?
This was maybe 1981, not long after the era of show bands, working mens clubs etc etc etc, and you still occasionally got older promoters expecting you to look like The Shadows with matching guitars and amps. Seriously.

That particular town, Lincoln, is on a road to nowhere and not particularly cutting edge so something post-punk and New Order-ish was unlikely to fly. And it didn't.

It could have been that venue from which our drummer stole a nice Victorian mahogany bar table as revenge, I don't condone such behaviour.
"classic marked down to 20 pence bargain bin fodder'

User avatar
Paolo_ray
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:56 am
Contact:

Re: Fender Guitar/Amp mating chart - are YOU using the right amp?!

Post by Paolo_ray » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:38 am

simonhpieman wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:49 pm
Paolo_ray wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:05 am
Hey Simon! Good to see you on here. Which Starcaster did you get in the end?
Thanks mate! There's a blonde one on it's way from Europe.... Will post an NGD if it ever arrives, the suspense is killing me!

How's yours with your new amp? And more to the point, does your new amp correspond correctly with the chart?!
Hey simon! Has it arrived yet? My new amp still hasn't. Its one of the Milkman 'the amp' pedals. They've been delayed for a few months now. Only a few more weeks to wait. Looking forward to seeing the new starcaster.

User avatar
simonhpieman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 356
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:27 am

Re: Fender Guitar/Amp mating chart - are YOU using the right amp?!

Post by simonhpieman » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:07 am

It's coming from Austria and it's still in Germany two weeks after posting... :fp:

Will make sure to do something once it's here. Would be really interested to know how you get on.

A point of interest: I played a Strat into a Deluxe Reverb on Thursday night. What do you think happened?

User avatar
offsets4life
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:09 pm

Re: Fender Guitar/Amp mating chart - are YOU using the right amp?!

Post by offsets4life » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:17 am

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:52 am
offsets4life wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:33 am
One should probably not plug a Jazzmaster into the Bright channel of a 68 Bassman with a 2X15" cab. ;)
Why exactly do you think that? :)
Some time ago I borrowed two 70s Bassman amplifiers, the 50 and the 100 version and now I own a 68 dripedge Bandmaster.
And I only played them through a 2x15 cab. And from time to time I even pushed that nasty Bright switch and actually liked the sound very much. Also with Fuzz and Reverb. Gives it a dirty (but not too dirty) Surf flavour! :)
I played a Jag though...

Well, for whatever reason, be it Volume up too high... too much treble EQd on the amp or perhaps a stray fuzz that was on when I plugged it in, the result was an ear-splitting squeal that nearly took out an eardrum.
Bass Channel from there on for me, thanks.

User avatar
raindog13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 131
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:09 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Fender Guitar/Amp mating chart - are YOU using the right amp?!

Post by raindog13 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:16 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:47 pm
clef051 wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:32 pm
Will I die from not using a fender amp?????
not instantly, it will be a slow death and when you do die, you will be sent to a special circle of hell where you have to listen to nothing but nickleback and all their clones forever
Worse. It will be a Nickleback cover band made up of all 13 year olds playing vintage Mustangs through Gorilla amps

User avatar
86runner
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:14 pm

Re: Fender Guitar/Amp mating chart - are YOU using the right amp?!

Post by 86runner » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:44 am

Strat into Deluxe Reverb is one of my favorites! I'm doing it all wrong!

User avatar
eldredjames
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 10:20 am

Re: Fender Guitar/Amp mating chart - are YOU using the right amp?!

Post by eldredjames » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:50 pm

Oh no. I can only play the Strat though my Vibrolux Reverb and the rest will have to go!

You'll recognize this as advertizing crap trying to push the high amps onto everyone. I could never get any breakup out of my Coronado II through the Twin Reverb. Should have gotten somethin' smaller so my parents didn't yell at me.

User avatar
garyfanclub
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 330
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:29 am
Location: NYC

Re: Fender Guitar/Amp mating chart - are YOU using the right amp?!

Post by garyfanclub » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:44 pm

eldredjames wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:50 pm
Oh no. I can only play the Strat though my Vibrolux Reverb and the rest will have to go!

You'll recognize this as advertizing crap trying to push the high amps onto everyone. I could never get any breakup out of my Coronado II through the Twin Reverb. Should have gotten somethin' smaller so my parents didn't yell at me.
Coronado into a cranked TR?!

But the F E E E E D B A A A C K K!

In all fairness, I think I’d love that combination (played an amazing Coronado at CME today, hard to keep my wallet in my pocket...)

Post Reply