Found a possible deal on a vintage Mosrite Combo: help?

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Found a possible deal on a vintage Mosrite Combo: help?

Post by Mechanical Birds » Sat May 12, 2018 12:43 pm

Wondering what any fans might be able to tell me about worth. I’d never played a Mosrite before so was really excited when I saw it. I always expected the trem to be like a Bigsby but to me the Mosrite tremolo DESTROYS any Bisby I’ve ever tried. Super loose feeling and the range made the guitar capable of some hilarious sounds. Really cool guitar!

Condition is pretty good, some finish chipped off the headstock and from what the shop guy told me it needs a new ground wire put in, but otherwise is fine. Didn’t get to plug it in but I assume any electronic issues wouldn’t affect value too bad anyway. I’m just trying to get a grasp of whether this might be a good investment or not. Based on reverb listings the price I can get it for is RIGHT, I’m just not sure if it’ll be a fast enough sale.

Basically, could any of you cool dudes maybe give me some idea of scale? Like if I could answer this I’d like to format it like:

Mint - X_dollars is a safe bet
Good with maybe some finish checking/chipping - $X
Beater - $X

Etc. it’s probably asking a lot but my savings keep getting depleted and ruining my ability to buy my dream guitar so I’m thinking of taking the plunge. Hope this is t shitty!

sir h c
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Found a possible deal on a vintage Mosrite Combo: help?

Post by sir h c » Sun May 13, 2018 3:31 pm

Check the pickups. They used thinner than usual wire (from what I remember) that is more prone to breakage.

Need more details or pics to get a price as there are so many different Mosrites out there (Semmie moved around a lot and make them where ever he was).

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Sun May 13, 2018 7:30 pm

I took a couple pictures but they wouldn’t really reveal anything. It’s in pretty good cosmetic shape. Dude said it works fine but needs a new ground wire. Small paint chipping on the headstock but it’s small, about the size of a dime. Beginnings of some checking in the finish but it looks good.

spiffy chap
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spiffy chap » Mon May 14, 2018 12:26 am

Well it would reveal the specifics of that particular unit. Ultimately you have to decide what this whole ordeal is worth to you.

Look at Reverb and eBay completed auctions. Unless they are a vintage guitar dealer or Mosrite afficianado, nobody is gonna be able to give you more insight than that.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Mon May 14, 2018 7:08 pm

This doesn’t matter anymore anyway. I took myself out of the running.

Was just kind of looking for a “if I was gonna buy one I’d pay this jagoff amount of money for it before thinking you’d be asking too much.”

Didn’t think there were a lot of versions of this guitar either, like didn’t they only make the combo for a couple years?