Need help identifying Josh Klinghoffer's Jaguars and Jazzmasters (pic heavy/rare colors?)

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
aliendawg
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Need help identifying Josh Klinghoffer's Jaguars and Jazzmasters (pic heavy/rare colors?)

Post by aliendawg » Wed May 09, 2018 6:27 am

I've been a big fan of Josh since he joined the Chili Peppers. The guy is a gearhead who can afford all the toys he wants now. He has already said he loves Jaguars and Jazzmasters. In fact, he's he one who got me into offset guitars in the first place.

I'm just trying to learn about dates and colors etc. Can you help me with that?

In this article he says he's kind of collecting old Fender colors. http://gearphoria.com/e-mag/v1n2/28/#zoom=z

Here's what I've found so far

1. '62 (?) Black Jaguar

I dunno if it's a reissue or not... Josh has this one since at least 2000 and has talked about a 62 Jag in previous interviews. Is there any way to tell if it's a vintage from those pics?

2. Jazzmaster

Never seen this color before. It's beautiful. What is it?

3. Seafoam Green (?) Jazzmaster

4. (?) Jaguar

Was this color combination available back in the 60/70's??

Here it is "in action": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B-v1TjbnTw

5. Sunburst Jazzmaster

This one looks too pristine to not be a reissue lol

6. Fiesta Red Jaguar

It's too new to be John Frusciante's Jag. I'm sure he used it at some point because I saw a picture of him recording with it but couldn't find it

"With the resurgence of offsets it seems like we're also seeing a resurgence of people who don't know what to do with them" - 601210

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Need help identifying Josh Klinghoffer's Jaguars and Jazzmasters (pic heavy/rare colors?)

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Wed May 09, 2018 6:41 am

Luiz Spindola wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 6:27 am
...Never seen this color before. It's beautiful. What is it?

It may well be Inca Silver with a clear coat that's yellowed making the blue tones of the silver look green.

Like this...

You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

aliendawg
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Need help identifying Josh Klinghoffer's Jaguars and Jazzmasters (pic heavy/rare colors?)

Post by aliendawg » Wed May 09, 2018 6:50 am

Looks really cool. Did they come out of the factory like that or people used to order special colorways?
"With the resurgence of offsets it seems like we're also seeing a resurgence of people who don't know what to do with them" - 601210

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Wed May 09, 2018 6:58 am

Luiz Spindola wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 6:50 am
Looks really cool. Did they come out of the factory like that or people used to order special colorways?
If it's original it will have been a custom order. I think 10% on top of the original cost.
Custom orders also got white/mint pickguards & matching headstocks.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

Enzo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Enzo » Fri May 11, 2018 7:03 am

What a boss. He stepped into some big, big shoes but I’ve seen him live recently and he is finding his own style more and more while bringing the post-Frusciante chili’s into an exciting new era

aliendawg
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aliendawg » Fri May 11, 2018 9:11 am

Enzo wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 7:03 am
What a boss. He stepped into some big, big shoes but I’ve seen him live recently and he is finding his own style more and more while bringing the post-Frusciante chili’s into an exciting new era
That's true, man! I'm a fan of course but I'm still not sure if his musical style fits the Chili Peppers, you know? Even though I loved I'm With You and agree that him replacing Frusciante was the obvious choice to be made.

Now I wish he was bit more of an internet guy lol I bet lots of people have many questions about his gear and stuff.

But the biggest one is: ARE YOU ON THE STOCK TEAM OR MASTERY TEAM?

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leokula » Fri May 11, 2018 11:34 am

Luiz Spindola wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 6:27 am
I'm just trying to learn about dates and colors etc. Can you help me with that?
These could literally be anything, man... from those pictures alone, can't go any further than rough guesses.

The colors aren't hard to figure out as some already did. Even if some are vintage, could be refins... as you said, at this point the guy can buy whatever he wants.
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

bencrit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bencrit » Fri May 11, 2018 11:45 am

I agree with the last poster here. It’s really tough to tell whether they are re-issue/vintage from these pictures. Where there are questions about the color, it’s also ambiguous. Some of the metallic finishes can look very similar after they have aged and the yellowing sets in.

They still look cool, though!

aliendawg
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aliendawg » Fri May 11, 2018 12:07 pm

Yes i get it...

But what the reddish one he's playing? (Number 4) What color is that? I also think I read somewhere that Fender didn't do Black Jags without matching headstocks back in the 60's... Is it true? Where can I learn those small details that diferentiate Jaguars of specific periods?

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leokula » Fri May 11, 2018 12:14 pm

Luiz Spindola wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 12:07 pm
Yes i get it...

But what the reddish one he's playing? (Number 4) What color is that? I also think I read somewhere that Fender didn't do Black Jags without matching headstocks back in the 60's... Is it true? Where can I learn those small details that diferentiate Jaguars of specific periods?
The lighting isn't helping this particular one... if I had to guess, I'd say burgundy mist.
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

raphaël
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by raphaël » Sun May 13, 2018 1:01 am

^
Or super faded CAR?

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Sun May 13, 2018 4:12 am

#4 is Burgundy Mist Metallic.

The black Jaguar looks like an AVRI to me.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sun May 13, 2018 9:00 am

I was really more than a bit sceptical - when he first put those "shoes" of John on...
same lumberjack shirt and sunburst strat... as If "maybe no one notices, this isn't John!?"

But over the years I respect him more and more as a musician! Especially for all his other projects! (I must say I kind of quit being a peppers fan when Frusciante left).

My favorite project is the one they had together. Besides John's Solo stuff...
ATAXIA!
Josh on drums, John on guitar and vocals and Joe Lally on bass.
There are two parts of a 90min improvisation sesson they did together! Check this out if you haven't yet! Also my favorite of John's stuff! :)
https://youtu.be/q5rDww15zls
https://youtu.be/6aDF5_3Hdh0

Also what a nice collection of offsets! Really dig the inca silver one! As it is one you don't see everyday! :)

aliendawg
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aliendawg » Sun May 13, 2018 9:44 am

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 9:00 am
I was really more than a bit sceptical - when he first put those "shoes" of John on...
same lumberjack shirt and sunburst strat... as If "maybe no one notices, this isn't John!?"

But over the years I respect him more and more as a musician! Especially for all his other projects! (I must say I kind of quit being a peppers fan when Frusciante left).

My favorite project is the one they had together. Besides John's Solo stuff...
ATAXIA!
Josh on drums, John on guitar and vocals and Joe Lally on bass.
There are two parts of a 90min improvisation sesson they did together! Check this out if you haven't yet! Also my favorite of John's stuff! :)
https://youtu.be/q5rDww15zls
https://youtu.be/6aDF5_3Hdh0

Also what a nice collection of offsets! Really dig the inca silver one! As it is one you don't see everyday! :)
Dude!! Automatic Writing is my favorite album of all time!!! I really like Josh's approach on drums

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sun May 13, 2018 10:38 am

Luiz Spindola wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 9:44 am
Dude!! Automatic Writing is my favorite album of all time!!! I really like Josh's approach on drums
I guess it's somewhere in my all time top 5 too! :-)