Verifying 1962 jaguar

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Jrjones
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Verifying 1962 jaguar

Post by Jrjones » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:06 pm

Hey everybody, I’m new here, I don’t know much of anything about offsets so this may be my first foray into a new world. What things do I need to be looking for to make sure it’s legit? Any pictures to compare to? Any tells of refinishing or electronics mods?

I’m looking at a 62 jaguar that’s supposed to be original black with a natural headstock. I know the original pickups are gone. What things should I look at? I know black with natural isn’t common but from what I’ve gathered if it’s early 62 it could be legit? When I have it in my possession I’m going to call fender but I want to make sure I don’t miss anything.

bencrit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Verifying 1962 jaguar

Post by bencrit » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:20 am

Greetings. Welcome to the offset world.

There is quite a lot one would cover in answering your question. It would be helpful to know how wide ranging of an answer you would like.

Another words, there are number things you should look for in authenticating a vintage guitar in general, and very specific things you can look for to authenticate 1962 jaguar. How familiar are you with vintage guitars and the whole process of authenticating them?

That would help know exactly how best to answer your question. Thanks!

FrankRay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FrankRay » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:58 am

Simplest test; does it have a mint pick guard? If not, it’s almost certainly a refin. Non matching head stocks of all except white and blonde jags are very rare before around 1968 or so.
The best way to check in general is look at the neck pocket- but in 62 it should just be black so no help really.
If the paint goes over the brass shields or doesn’t go up to the edge of them, then it’s a refin.
I suppose what I’m saying is it’s almost definitely a refin. Black legit jags are rare but refins are pretty common. Pics of the cavities should sort it out.

andrewaward
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andrewaward » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:15 am

99% chance it will be a refin.

When you get it post pics

blackbox
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blackbox » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:32 am

If it's black with a natural headstock, then it's 99.999% sure not original unless the neck was taken off of another (non-black) 62' (like a blonde or a sunburst) and put on the black Jag. Not likely. Seller is probably lying or misinformed. Non-original pickups another red flag. Beware.

A few years ago I went crazy on a big vintage jaguar kick, learning everything I could. I had a situation similar to yours. I came to the conclusion that actual examples of original custom color Pre-CBS jags without a matching headstock is borderline impossibly rare.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:46 am

blackbox wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:32 am
If it's black with a natural headstock, then it's 99.999% sure not original unless the neck was taken off of another (non-black) 62' (like a blonde or a sunburst) and put on the black Jag. Not likely. Seller is probably lying or misinformed. Non-original pickups another red flag. Beware.

A few years ago I went crazy on a big vintage jaguar kick, learning everything I could. I had a situation similar to yours. I came to the conclusion that actual examples of original custom color Pre-CBS jags without a matching headstock is borderline impossibly rare.
This man speaks the truth.

It is technically possible, because we know some CC jags were produced without matching headstocks, but these are exceedingly rare, and are used by people as an excuse to sell refins as all-original to underinformed buyers. A refin is worth less than a sunburst. A CC is worth much more than a sunburst. You can see where the incentive to bend the truth might lie.

The people who maintain rare custom colours in original condition also tend to be the people who keep original pickups. Agree that this is a massive red flag. Those '62-'63 flat-pole pickups are 99% of the reason to pay pre-CBS Jag prices in the first place, if you ask me (and I own '62, '65, and '66 jags). If he wants a '62 custom colour price on a guitar with replacement pickups, that sounds insane to me. Rewound originals? I get it, damage happens, but full-on replacement pickups have to make you question what else has been replaced.

As others said. Shrunken mint pickguard? Could be genuine. No trace of paint on any shielding, with paint (WITH TAN LINE) extending underneath the shield? Could be genuine. Tan line underneath the pickguard as well? Could be genuine. Lack of paint stick void in the neck pocket? Could be genuine.

And of course, you can and should always test that the finish is nitro (by using a corner of a cavity, of course). If it's not...you have a pretty simple answer!

Of course, the logo, the number on the tailpiece, and the pot codes will also help confirm it's a 1962 and original parts, but don't help with the sunburst vs CC question.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.