Fender Electric XII original frets

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
nonesuch
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Fender Electric XII original frets

Post by nonesuch » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:31 am

Does anyone happen to know what the original frets would have been like on a 1965 Electric XII?

I had the owner of a local guitar shop look at it recently, and he was pretty sure it had been refretted at some point. He thought it was probably sometime in the late 1970s judging by the wide and low style of fret.

I don’t have any issues the way it is - it actually plays nicely. I was just wondering what people’s thoughts were - I’ve not seen another one for years to compare.

Here’s a picture:

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender Electric XII original frets

Post by Mechanical Birds » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:09 am

nonesuch wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:31 am
Does anyone happen to know what the original frets would have been like on a 1965 Electric XII?

I had the owner of a local guitar shop look at it recently, and he was pretty sure it had been refretted at some point. He thought it was probably sometime in the late 1970s judging by the wide and low style of fret.

I don’t have any issues the way it is - it actually plays nicely. I was just wondering what people’s thoughts were - I’ve not seen another one for years to compare.

Here’s a picture:

I think the frets were pretty wide and lies when stock back then