Chronologized Jag Experience/Project

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
TJS
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Chronologized Jag Experience/Project

Post by TJS » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:34 am

My name is Curtis. I have been tasked by a good friend to evaluate and possibly nurse his Fender Jaguar. He is not a guitar player but he's somehow had this Jaguar since he was a boy.

The Jag came to me without a case and in a most disturbing state of filth. I have taken a number of pictures before any cleaning whatsoever, which I will share/post to the best of my ability. Since I have never done this before, I ask for patience and understanding straight away. The serial # of the metal plate on the body of this Jaguar is 11133.
Image This is confusing straight away because that number indicates a date of 1956 but that can't be right because the Jaguar wasn't introduced until 1962. So then I notice that same # on the tremolo as a patent # so I guess they put that same # on the body plate?
ImageI will be taking the neck off to get a look at the information there, but not before I have satisfied myself that it is even necessary. I have several questions to be answered before I do anything at all to this guitar. I am concerned that I will become overly attached to this instrument should I put too much effort into her. I am a guitar lover at heart and I'm certain that just cleaning her will begin the process of attachment. I realize this is goofy sentiment but nonetheless true.

I thought I might share the experience from beginning to end with anyone who might find it interesting. I also am in hopes that those enthusiast/experts with any interest in doing so would offer up any and all opinion and assistance in my endeavor. I will try my best to share pics all along the way. I am an avid player myself, but I make no claims of expertise nor any special skills. I am willing though, to do anything I can to make this guitar the best it can be. My first thought about this project is to do no more than necessary to get the guitar up and playing. I would of course replace missing inlays and the binding on the neck.

Some of the questions that I have before I even put a rag to her:

What's with the neck to body fitting? Is this really the way they fitted these at the factory? It seems like a mismatch, so that is a red flag to me.

What's with the tuner plate being separated into two pieces? Is that normal?

Can someone explain the "contour body" feature to me? Is this an actual carving out of the back of the body to give a slight "dishing" for lack of a better word? I don't have a picture yet that shows this, but if this isn't done on purpose, then one would assume the body to be warped.

Should I just clean her up for my friend, or should I go for a complete restore? If I owned this guitar, I would do no more than necessary to get her up and playing because I respect what an instrument has been through in it's life and I just think it has a really "cool" vibe.

Where do I start to look for a tremolo arm?

What is the neck binding material and the inlay material, and can I still get it?

These are "before" photos.

That's it for now......... what next?

FenderBob
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Chronologized Jag Experience/Project

Post by FenderBob » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:19 am

FYI, it's not a real USA jaguar, it's an asian knockoff made in the 60's. May not be worth the time and effort to restore.

mijmog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mijmog » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:20 am

I'm no expert, and I'd await the vast amount of learned knowledge and advice that will come your way soon from this wonderful forum - but my first reaction is that the guitar is a "Serviceman" Jaguar, judging by the way the neck and trem plate are engraved.

Info here: http://servicemanguitars.blogspot.co.uk ... aguar.html

The neck fitting is not standard, not by any means, it looks like its lifting out of the pocket due to a combination of being loosely fitted, warping and string tension, and judging by the state of the hardware, the effect of moisture over a long period of time.

Have you sighted down the neck, or held a straight edge to check its straight? I'd do that before worrying about the inlays!

Good luck with the restoration!

EDIT - I didn't see FenderBob's advice above after posting this - but I would heed it - don't spend any money on the guitar as you won't make it back, do what you can and restore it for fun first and foremost.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:19 am

FenderBob wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:19 am
FYI, it's not a real USA jaguar, it's an asian knockoff made in the 60's. May not be worth the time and effort to restore.
Yep. there's no payday waiting at the end of this one, sadly. Also a decent chance that you won't get it into a state of usable playability. I'd take a hard pass on this one.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

TJS
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by TJS » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:19 pm

Yes, I'll be taking that pass real hard. The neck is surprisingly straight but I'm not even taking a rag to her. I'll just be giving her back as is.
At this point, I wish I could delete this entire topic. I appreciate the observation and quick advise!

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:49 pm

TJS wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:19 pm
Yes, I'll be taking that pass real hard. The neck is surprisingly straight but I'm not even taking a rag to her. I'll just be giving her back as is.
At this point, I wish I could delete this entire topic. I appreciate the observation and quick advise!
No need to delete, it'll help others recognize a "serviceman's Jaguar" in the future.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:52 pm

Thanks for posting. Servicemens 'Fenders' may not really have any particular value but they are fascinating to see imo. Takes a lot of ingenuity to fake that level of detail, and am I right in thinking these were often made in quite small quantities by a few people in a shed rather than coming out of a factory?

Sonichris
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sonichris » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:25 pm

I enjoyed seeing it! Thanks for showing it off, even if it isn't exactly what you thought it was.

And, while not particularly valuable, they are worth more than a couple bucks. Wipe it off and give it a go.

FenderBob
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FenderBob » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:38 pm

I feel the pain of this situation.

My first vintage Fender purchase was a Serviceman Jag. I don't think the seller knew and I didn't either. The first few Guitar shops I took it to didn't know it was a fake either. Finally a shop that knew vintage informed me. I was young, dumb, and hearing the news...very upset. After some convincing, I was able to return it for a partial refund (one of the shops did some damage inspecting the guitar). It was an expensive education and lesson. I did a lot more research / studying before buying another vintage fender. Seeing those pictures of those tuners brought back some haunting memories. :bored:

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:07 am

It sure is crap but sure looks cool and surely would make an amazing wall-hanger. Fer sure!
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.