Traveling with my Gold Guard Jazzmaster

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
mcjt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Traveling with my Gold Guard Jazzmaster

Post by mcjt » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:17 pm

eggwheat wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:36 am
They all relayed stories of woe that have happened this year. It's in the law that anything can be confiscated and destroyed without trial. and without any recourse. Customs can seriously fuck you up if they want.
I'm doing a CITES export at the moment..its not difficult but it takes time..that's the biggest pain. They said they have been inundated with applications for guitars since this new regulation took hold so it's slow to get processed.
In North America, you won't just lose your guitar but you are guilty of violating federal law. if your guitar really has, say, Indian rw instead of Brazilian, you can hire a lawyer and go to federal court to prove the guitar does not have Brazilian rw.... Sounds expensive, right? And obviously if it was Brazilian rw, ignorance of the law is not a defence.
I've heard that part of the reason that authorities are now trying to protect all varieties of rosewood is due to the nouveau riche in China (among other places) buying vast quantities of rosewood furniture.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:04 pm

mcjt wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:17 pm
In North America, you won't just lose your guitar but you are guilty of violating federal law. if your guitar really has, say, Indian rw instead of Brazilian, you can hire a lawyer and go to federal court to prove the guitar does not have Brazilian rw.... Sounds expensive, right? And obviously if it was Brazilian rw, ignorance of the law is not a defence.

https://americanorchestras.org/advocacy ... -tips.html
"As of January 2, 2017, new CITES requirements apply to all species of dalbergia (also known as rosewood) that is not Brazilian rosewood. A great many woodwinds and stringed instruments contain Indian rosewood and other rosewood species. Page 16 of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Q&A on the new restrictions clarifies that noncommercial travel with musical instruments that contain less than 10 kg of rosewood per instrument is exempted from the new rules, whether the instrument is hand-carried or included in a cargo shipment. Guidance issued by the European Union confirms that the EU will likewise implement these exemptions. Noncommercial travel includes international travel for concerts with a paying audience. Musical instruments containing Brazilian rosewood will continue to require CITES permits."

Also ...
https://www.fws.gov/international/permi ... ments.html
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

mcjt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcjt » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:45 am

Sure Timtam, I've read that. Brazilian RW that I was talking about doesn't apply to the part you put in bold.
You didn't write anything- what do you want to contribute?

Uchison
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Uchison » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:37 pm

I'm gonna try to get mine soon.

simonhpieman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by simonhpieman » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:26 am

I might understand if you had a post-1992 brazilian rosewood instrument but if you can prove the instrument pre-dates any restrictions on BW then surely things shouldn't be a problem? It's not hard to prove the age of guitars.

Destroying them is just ignorant. What good does making less of it available in the world do to the endangered trees?

Uchison
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Uchison » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:09 am

simonhpieman wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:26 am
I might understand if you had a post-1992 brazilian rosewood instrument but if you can prove the instrument pre-dates any restrictions on BW then surely things shouldn't be a problem? It's not hard to prove the age of guitars.

Destroying them is just ignorant. What good does making less of it available in the world do to the endangered trees?
This is exactly how I feel. Everybody loses

howdo3313
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by howdo3313 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:07 pm

I have a question...Hi everyone:) Been a while.

Anyway, how much do these permits cost?
What a doodle doo, in a town full of heroes and villains