Help request on value, etc: beat L-series Jazzmaster

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Gavanti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Help request on value, etc: beat L-series Jazzmaster

Post by Gavanti » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:04 pm

A local shop-owner knows I like offsets and got in a L series Jazzmaster recently. I believe he said it is a '63 or '64, but I haven't checked the serial number. It has been through some rough times, including some time in water, apparently. I'm not certain how to value it, so I'm looking for some help from y'all. He thinks it's all original, and from what I saw with a quick going over, that appears correct. He said the two seam cracks in the back of the body are stable. I like beat-up sunburst, so the finish damage is ok by me, but I would want to account for that in price. Frets look ok and well-seated. I've been told all the electronics work and that it plays fine. The guard is warped and currently unattached. Shielding is all present. The pickguard screws and bridge are in the case, though both have a lot of rust damage. I haven't played it yet, and would, of course, do so before considering a purchase. I figured I would also ask him to pull the neck to verify that is undamaged, consistent with the date, and not refinished. The original case is there but in really rough (and smelly) condition.

Unfortunately, I had to leave quickly and so I was less methodical with photos than I would like. Here is the album:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm8EUqTk
I've only seen a few vintage JM's in shops around here. Thoughts on fair pricing and/or things to look for? Should I even be looking at this? Thanks!

Quick photo:

RandyRandom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Help request on value, etc: beat L-series Jazzmaster

Post by RandyRandom » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:23 am

im not aware with actual vintage market prices, but i guess i would pay like 1000-2000$ for it if the neck is ok and not warped. maybe you let a guitar luthier fix the cracks on the body later on. just to be sure its really stable.

but all in all its gorgeous jazzmaster :w00t:
:D Gotta love them Offsets :D

Any other austrians around here?

Hiwatt Bob
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Hiwatt Bob » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:05 am

Best case scenario (for resale) is that everything is orig and still works and you can repair the cracks. If that's the case, then I think you'd be in the "player" category. So I don't know, maybe $2500? But that's after the repair. So, if I were buying, I'm not sure I'd pay more than $2k tops--and that's only if everything else is orig and functioning.

Gavanti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gavanti » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:30 am

Hiwatt Bob wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:05 am
Best case scenario (for resale) is that everything is orig and still works and you can repair the cracks. If that's the case, then I think you'd be in the "player" category. So I don't know, maybe $2500? But that's after the repair. So, if I were buying, I'm not sure I'd pay more than $2k tops--and that's only if everything else is orig and functioning.
Very helpful. Thanks! I've been assuming everything is decently playable and original but would check. This caught my interest because most of the vintage Jazzmaster market, even players and refins, is already out of reach for me, and it seems like it's headed further that way. The asking price is below what Reverb charts, but I haven't seen many for sale quite this beaten, and my sense is that I wouldn't be able to negotiate as low as you're suggesting. I'm not interested in flipping it, but I would definitely want to take into account potential for resale down the road. It sounds like I need to keep looking.

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 46346 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:19 pm

wow - i've never encountered finish wear like that in the middle around the bridge. is that water damage? that might explain the 'cracks' - one of which to me look like separation of the body pieces. if it's warped or swollen, that could be a real tough job.

i'm no luthier, not even an amateur one... just saying, be careful and get a quote from a trusted luthier.

headstock decal puts it at early '64 or even '63 in the L-series.

could be a heroic restoration - but only for the right person. unless the damage was only recently discovered, there's a reason why it hasn't been restored already.

definitely worth looking into though - with a cool head.

cheers!
Cat Museum, ACME, Malcolm Mooney, Dream Apes, The Cooling Time, Kind Hearts and Coronets, Quarks

Gavanti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gavanti » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:53 am

Much appreciated, y'all. I think the cool head says let this one go to someone more skilled and ambitious. I'm partial to B&B necks anyway. If anyone wants to follow up on this, PM me, and I'll be happy to direct you to the right place.

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:11 pm

Oh fuck yeah, I'd just screw it all together and rock it as is. Seriously. Get a good price and don't let it go.

Sorry for not helping.
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 46346 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:03 pm

Pacafeliz wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:11 pm
Oh fuck yeah, I'd just screw it all together and rock it as is. Seriously. Get a good price and don't let it go.

Sorry for not helping.

i could probably use more guys like Pat in my life :)
Cat Museum, ACME, Malcolm Mooney, Dream Apes, The Cooling Time, Kind Hearts and Coronets, Quarks

will
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by will » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:38 pm

Yep, it's either gotten wet, or it's been stored in a damp basement for a while. The dark marks on the wood are from screws getting rusty, and then the rust getting drawn into the woodgrain when it gets wet - you've maybe seen this happen in non-guitar-life when some 2x4's get left out in the weather - the exposed wood turns grey, and the areas around any nails get even more discolored.

Anyway, if it can be had for a proper price, the electronics check out okay, and the neck isn't warped/delaminating, it could be a rock-able swamp thing.