Vintage matching headstocks - primer?

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
rexter
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Vintage matching headstocks - primer?

Post by rexter » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:50 pm

Just wondering - people who have custom colour vintage offsets with painted headstocks: did Fender normally use white primer on the headstocks before the colour coat? Some pictures I can see it, some I can't.

I'm also interested in the how the colour on the top of the headstock transitions to the sides of the headstock/neck. Would anyone be able to post a close up picture side on please?

Thanks!

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Vintage matching headstocks - primer?

Post by HNB » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:45 am

I am going to guess they didn't. I tried using a primer before color on a headstock and when I cleaned up the edges around the headstock I could see the primer layer color. I haven't seen primer on any matching headstocks that were vintage I have seen. (Or modern ones either.)
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:21 pm

I had a '64 LPB JM that had white primer that showed on edge chips. I also had a '63 Surf Green Jag with the same treatment. All the CAR models that I've seen had a silver or gold base depending on the year.

rexter
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rexter » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:33 pm

Thanks guys - yeah I’ve definitely see some pictures where the white is visible underneath. I’ve found that sanding the primer down at the edges of the headstock hides it from view when seen side on. Just wondering if this is what they did/do in the factory or if they remask after the primer so the colour overlaps slightly down the side of the headstock tonhide the edge of the primer?

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:03 am

for me primer is need to match the body color
when i do matching i prime the face of headstock then mask the side and after drying i sand the side
after i remask a little mor far to hidden the primer (just the round part of the edge in fact )

on this one i go a little far but i have a nice line all over the headstock (and i have made a round corner less big than fender japan for exemple,but at this time i have no fender guitar on hand to see how they made it )