NGD - Botched 1966 Yamaha SG-2

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Axolotl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NGD - Botched 1966 Yamaha SG-2

Post by Axolotl » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:50 pm

This happened some days but still I wanted to share. I've been in love with the Yamahas SG 2 and 3 for over a year now. They are very hard to come by here in Argentina, and of course expensive AF. A few months back a seller backed off on a pristine white SG3, so imagine my excitement when I saw this bad boy appear on my facebook feed! A local seller posted it 5 minutes before I saw it, closed the deal and was on my way (dude lived pretty close!).

It's a rocked out SG2 with Gibson humbuckers. Seller brought it from Caracas, Venezuela 2 years ago where he lived. He got it on a trade and neglected it for years. I've got it for about 600 dollars, which is pretty freakin awesome in these latitudes.

Pickguard and body have been carefully yet still horribly routed. I mean it's a well-done job but why??

Frets are fucking tiny (noticeable smaller than vintage Fender frets) and worn, so a refret is coming right away. The neck is awesome. it feels similar to my 59 JM but with a bit less of taper. It also reminds me of an AVRI neck.

Tuners are a replacement, they seem to hold good. 3 height screws were missing from the bridge; a hardware store custom cut them for me. Gave it a shim, a setup and fresh strings and it feels amazing. TRem feels nice but the arm is totally floppy, gotta think of a fix, since staytrem won't save me this time.

Pups are Gibson branded on the back, I reckon they are from the 90's or 00's. Neck pickup sounds very nice, bridge is disconnected, and the electronics look kinda wonky, so they'll need attention too.

Long gone are the ultra cool dome knobs :(

Been toying with the idea of eventually restoring it. However, parts are hard to come by, (would need pups + pickguard), and I have few guitars with humbuckers so I wouldn't mind keeping it as is for a while. For now, refresh the electronics and much needed nickel pickup covers will suffice for me to be very happy with this guitar. I dig its personality, love the stickers too! And the strap, which came sewn around the posts :D

Last edited by Axolotl on Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

MattK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD - Botched 1966 Yamaha SG-2

Post by MattK » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:46 pm

Nice catch! Was it cheap?
Seems a shame to refret it - maybe give the vintage a chance?

Axolotl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Axolotl » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:54 pm

It was about 600 dollars which is not too shabby around here.
Regarding the refret, it's a wonderful neck but the frets are low and busted/dented. No doubt a refret will make it play like new. I refretted all my vintage guitars. It was a hard decision the first time around, but new frets make such a difference that by now is pretty much a must.

Sonichris
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sonichris » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:47 pm

Cool guitar! I love SG-2's, even more than SG-3's. Too bad about the pickups, but I'll bet it's still a super cool guitar.

Re-fret....yes. Those original frets were super low from the factory (blame mosrite) and didn't seem to hold up over the last 50 years. I did a re-fret on one with vintage Fender sized frets, and it it made a good guitar great. You could get used to it, but really, this guitar has been modified, and a good re-fret will only add to the play-ability. Isn't that what it's all about?

You might be able to tighten the trem using the collet on the outside of the arm.

Also, I've had good luck taking the trem apart, removing the pivot bearing covers, cleaning out the old grease, and pressing new grease into them. Made the trem smooth smooth.

Cool guitar Dude!