1974 Fender Mustang (NGD, finally with working photo links!)

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
DiBiaso
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

1974 Fender Mustang (NGD, finally with working photo links!)

Post by DiBiaso » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:42 am

Following my previous post about planning to acquire a well worn '74 mustang for cheap cash, here's the beast! I love the way it plays, and it has so much attitude! Last night i also ordered a fully loaded '77 mustang pickgaurd with pickups and switches to swap out the lace sensors.

https://imgur.com/tvyTv0Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://imgur.com/OVp6Lri" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://imgur.com/ygpJe70" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://imgur.com/O8NZC67" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://imgur.com/o3f5I92" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://imgur.com/kHdxM9J" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by DiBiaso on Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

hornz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 1974 Fender Mustang (NGD now with pictures!)

Post by hornz » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:47 pm

Pics are dead dude :(

Is this the mocha one for $600? Superb deal.
hornz
Spin The Black Circle

DiBiaso
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DiBiaso » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:30 pm

hornz wrote:Pics are dead dude

Weird... when i click on the links myself they work fine. So frustrating, i really want to share this with you guys, and i can't seem to figure out how to make it work. And i know that without pics, this guitar doesn't exist! :fp:

Birdman14
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Birdman14 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:13 pm

Here ya go! Was this guy on the Boston CL by any chance? I believed I scrolled over it a few times, and was really tempted to pick it up

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:34 pm

DiBiaso wrote:
hornz wrote:Pics are dead dude

Weird... when i click on the links myself they work fine. So frustrating, i really want to share this with you guys, and i can't seem to figure out how to make it work. And i know that without pics, this guitar doesn't exist!
It took me a while to fathom it but try this...

Upload the image as normal.
Then got to the top right where your user name is.
Hover/click it until a drop down list appears with "Images".
Click this & you should get a grid of pics.
Click on the pic you want & you should see a load of links down the right.
Choose the BBCode. Copy & paste it & you should be done.

Hope that works.

I still haven't worked out how to do this on my iPad!
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

DiBiaso
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DiBiaso » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:36 am

Birdman14 wrote:Image

Here ya go! Was this guy on the Boston CL by any chance? I believed I scrolled over it a few times, and was really tempted to pick it up
Thanks so much for your help with the photos! Yes, it was the same one you saw. I was watching it closely for a while when it was @ $700, and when he dropped the price this weekend i couldn't help but move on it. He was selling some other pretty tasty looking gear too, i was tested to scoop up the MIM '70's strat also but i DO NOT need another strat.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 1974 Fender Mustang (NGD, finally with working photo lin

Post by Embenny » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:44 am

That's a wicked deal. Looks like a keeper! The nice thing about non-original pickups (when it's a good price at least) is that, if you don't like them, you can change the pickups to whatever you want without guilt.

How do the Lace sensors sound? Are you planning on keeping them or swapping them out?
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

DiBiaso
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DiBiaso » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:58 am

mbene085 wrote:That's a wicked deal. Looks like a keeper! The nice thing about non-original pickups (when it's a good price at least) is that, if you don't like them, you can change the pickups to whatever you want without guilt.

How do the Lace sensors sound? Are you planning on keeping them or swapping them out?
Thanks! I'm really digging the feel of the guitar... it's different in every way from my two main guitars ('78 Jazzmaster and Rickenbacker 360), but at the same time it's very easy to play.

The Lace Sensors sound decent, but I have a feeling they are going to be dropped into my Strat. I have a loaded pickgaurd from a '77 mustang complete with pickups and switches coming from Reverb on Thursday or Friday. Time to get out the soldering iron :shifty:

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:11 pm

DiBiaso wrote:
mbene085 wrote:That's a wicked deal. Looks like a keeper! The nice thing about non-original pickups (when it's a good price at least) is that, if you don't like them, you can change the pickups to whatever you want without guilt.

Thanks! I'm really digging the feel of the guitar... it's different in every way from my two main guitars ('78 Jazzmaster and Rickenbacker 360), but at the same time it's very easy to play.

The Lace Sensors sound decent, but I have a feeling they are going to be dropped into my Strat. I have a loaded pickgaurd from a '77 mustang complete with pickups and switches coming from Reverb on Thursday or Friday. Time to get out the soldering iron
Nice. I always prefer vintage pickups in vintage guitars. I use my newer ones for dicking around with crazy wiring and pickups.

DiBiaso
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DiBiaso » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:21 am

mbene085 wrote:
DiBiaso wrote:

The Lace Sensors sound decent, but I have a feeling they are going to be dropped into my Strat. I have a loaded pickgaurd from a '77 mustang complete with pickups and switches coming from Reverb on Thursday or Friday. Time to get out the soldering iron
Nice. I always prefer vintage pickups in vintage guitars. I use my newer ones for dicking around with crazy wiring and pickups.
Agreed. They thing is, the lace sensors do sound really nice. I am playing through an AC15, and the top boost channel with these pickups is really crunchy and strong with a bit of feedback... much more "seattle" than i remember lace sensors being from the days of playing a strat plus. I remember them being much more sterile sounding.

Still, i want the Mustang to be more period correct. I know it could use a set up, there are a few dead notes on the neck, but i don't want to give it up for a few days of downtime!

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:33 am

DiBiaso wrote: Agreed. They thing is, the lace sensors do sound really nice. I am playing through an AC15, and the top boost channel with these pickups is really crunchy and strong with a bit of feedback... much more "seattle" than i remember lace sensors being from the days of playing a strat plus. I remember them being much more sterile sounding.

Still, i want the Mustang to be more period correct. I know it could use a set up, there are a few dead notes on the neck, but i don't want to give it up for a few days of downtime!
I totally understand keeping it for a "honeymoon" before handing it off to your tech. I've done that before. My '66 D&B Jag had a shrunken guard that was holding the bridge pickup hostage about 3/4" away from the strings - so far that all I could confirm was that the pickup worked. Had no idea what it sounded like. But I kept that mofo for 2 weeks playing only on the neck pickup before I could bring myself to drop it off for some work.

I have a really great local guy who carefully filed the guard (to allow pickup adjustment again), cleaned the electronics, and gave it a wicked setup. I had it back within the week, but I still don't regret taking some time to enjoy it before handing it off.

As for the Lace sensors, those were the tones I listened to a thousand times on Pumpkins and Bush records so I have good associations. I remember the "strat guys" in the 90's and early 2000's ragging on how sterile/fake/whatever they thought they were, but that seems to have been collective anti-hype (the inverse Klon or Dumble effect?). Everyone from grunge and alt-rock legends to blues legends (clapton) and country and rockabilly legends (James Burton) have either used Sensors in the past, or still do. The company's also still making the pickups, 30 years later...hard to believe they'd still be going, with that kind of track record, if they didn't sound good.

But perception is everything. Until 10 years ago, Coodercaster superfans were the only people looking for goldfoils. If Lace went out of business, 20 years from now the next Dan Auerbach would pick up a neglected Strat Plus and everyone would be offering "sensor reissues" and arguing over whose were the most accurate recreations.