A Love Lost, Then Found Again, Maybe

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Baldy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

A Love Lost, Then Found Again, Maybe

Post by Baldy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:22 am

I'm sure many of you have a story about the guitar you had and never forgot. The one you wished that you'd kept or taken better care of? Possibly you've tried to find a replacement, years later?
Maybe you'd like to share the story..

Here's my tale of woe..
My first electric was a 1966 jaguar in 3TB, which I purchased second hand in 1974, when I was a teenager. I'd worked summer jobs in high school, dishwasher, bottle depot, cleaning driveways in winter.
A guitarist friend of my dads was moving back to the UK from Canada and he knew I was trying to learn to play. I REALLY wanted an electric, a Les Paul like my guitar hero T-Rex was playing.

So my dads buddy showed up with a fender gig bag that contained a 1966 jag, with block inlays.. Although I wasn't completely horned on it, I said yes. He said I could have it for $145. ( which is about 800 clams today money)
I had about $100 and change saved up, my mom kicked in the rest :)

Flash forward to 1978. The Ramones, sex pistols, punk, woohoo, power chords.. :w00t:
My friend at that time had moved into a house which had a large finished basement. We threw together a small stage, lights, posters and flags, kind of a bar atmosphere at home. We would spend Friday's, Saturday's fooling around making noise, great fun. Sometimes we'd have a party and attempt to copy the ramones, let's face it, after beer and "glaucoma medication" and some distortion, anything sounds not bad.

This ritual went on for about a year. Finally, with different work schedules, we didn't have time. But the equipment was left in my buddies basement.
I didn't think about it until he decided to move a couple of years later. By that time he'd packed up and then I began to try and chase down my jag. It was like.. Oh so and so has it, no, this guy has it etc. by then it was gone.. :fp:

As it goes, I remember those times fondly, never to be repeated, but I never forgot about that jag.
So, the past few years I've been casually looking and waiting for the right one to materialize, not heavily, just .... WELL, if one shows up that speaks to me, great, if not,great..
Last week one showed up by sheer fluke.. A mint 66 3TB that looks like it just left the factory, even the case. It still has the original hang tags, case candy and the receipt from the one and only owner.
It should arrive this week.

I'll post pics if I can find a decent image hosting site that doesn't prohibit third party posting, nor redirect to other advertising websites.
If anyone has a suggestion, it would be appreciated..

Let's hear your stories of love lost and a life spent in regret ladies and gents. :D