Show me your Sonic Blue offsets!

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
molwam
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Show me your Sonic Blue offsets!

Post by molwam » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:49 am

WillPhistre wrote: This looks absolutely incredible. I play Bass VI almost exclusively and yours is exactly what I'd do if I actually had the cash. GREAT job.

Can you upload some pics of the headstock? And a list of the mods?
Thank you for the kind words :) The VI is the first guitar/bass I modded mainly for the looks so I'm glad someone has the same taste as I do. I'll post a picture of the headstock as soon as I get my hands in a camera again.
And here is the list of mods:
  • Refinished body and headstock sonic blue (obviously)
  • Red tort pichguard from sneakyT
  • LaBella strings (if this is even a mod)
  • Staytrem bridge
  • Rewired the electronics but kept stock pickups
  • Added a Varitone (the lower small knob)
  • Phase reversal of bridge and neck pickup via Push-Pull volume and tone knobs
  • Treble bleed volume pot
  • Option to switch on each pickup in series or parallel (so you can have configurations like bridge and neck in series with middle in parallel)

blimpage
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blimpage » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:50 am

supersonicjazzmaster wrote:Image
how has nobody commented on these photos

what is happening here

supersonicjazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by supersonicjazzmaster » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:23 am

blimpage wrote:
supersonicjazzmaster wrote:Image
how has nobody commented on these photos

what is happening here
Thanks. So I comment it myself. ;D
I have to tell you that 20 minutes after this pic was shot I had an accident on stage.
I put out my Sumo suit, and did "normal" stage acting. ...then I broke my knee, falling down, terrible aching... I was nearly coma... lying on the stage...
a girl gave me a pill for the pain and the people from the bar brought me some water. After 6 minutes I was able to play again. I played this gig to the end while sitting on the stage. The pain came back, my fingers started to tremble... I was nearly to blackout again... People really appreciated it. Directly after the gig I was brought to hospital... ahhhhh, painful night... horrible ride from Cologne back to Berlin the next day... 6-7 hours on the motorway, took pills aginst the pain... So this is Rock´n Roll. This is Surf!
better break something on stage while playing then while shopping ;D
It starts... when it begins.
Ralf Kilauea

WillPhistre
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by WillPhistre » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:54 am

molwam wrote:
WillPhistre wrote: This looks absolutely incredible. I play Bass VI almost exclusively and yours is exactly what I'd do if I actually had the cash. GREAT job.

Can you upload some pics of the headstock? And a list of the mods?
Thank you for the kind words The VI is the first guitar/bass I modded mainly for the looks so I'm glad someone has the same taste as I do. I'll post a picture of the headstock as soon as I get my hands in a camera again.
And here is the list of mods:
  • Refinished body and headstock sonic blue (obviously)
  • Red tort pichguard from sneakyT
  • LaBella strings (if this is even a mod)
  • Staytrem bridge
  • Rewired the electronics but kept stock pickups
  • Added a Varitone (the lower small knob)
  • Phase reversal of bridge and neck pickup via Push-Pull volume and tone knobs
  • Treble bleed volume pot
  • Option to switch on each pickup in series or parallel (so you can have configurations like bridge and neck in series with middle in parallel)
This is great! But with all the stuff you've added, why did you subtract a switch?? :)

Seriously so cool though. Did you do the refin job yourself? And can we hear what this sounds like?

blimpage
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blimpage » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:54 pm

supersonicjazzmaster wrote:Thanks. So I comment it myself.
I have to tell you that 20 minutes after this pic was shot I had an accident on stage.
I put out my Sumo suit, and did "normal" stage acting. ...then I broke my knee, falling down, terrible aching... I was nearly coma... lying on the stage...
a girl gave me a pill for the pain and the people from the bar brought me some water. After 6 minutes I was able to play again. I played this gig to the end while sitting on the stage. The pain came back, my fingers started to tremble... I was nearly to blackout again... People really appreciated it. Directly after the gig I was brought to hospital... ahhhhh, painful night... horrible ride from Cologne back to Berlin the next day... 6-7 hours on the motorway, took pills aginst the pain... So this is Rock´n Roll. This is Surf!
better break something on stage while playing then while shopping
:wtf: That is extremely rock'n'roll. Ridiculous costumes, horrible injuries, taking drugs from strangers, but the show must go on... and then back on the road! This story needs to be a movie.

molwam
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by molwam » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:48 am

supersonicjazzmaster wrote:
Thanks. So I comment it myself.
better break something on stage while playing then while shopping
I'm in pain just from reading this. Hope you're alright now again.
WillPhistre wrote: This is great! But with all the stuff you've added, why did you subtract a switch??

Seriously so cool though. Did you do the refin job yourself? And can we hear what this sounds like?
I had to use 4pdt switches for the series parallel mod which took quite some space in the cavity. I could have added another spdt (for a strangle switch) but the distances betwwen the sitches would have been irregular and that thought really throwed me off. In hindsight I just should have used the standard switches and used the strangle as a "series" switch. All the three pickup combinations with serial and parallel aren't that much different from either all serial or all parallel. Really wasn't worth the effort, but now I know better :D
I'm sorry, I haven't got a mic or something to record with that has not super poor audio quality, so I won't be able to give sound examples :( But the series mod is really recommendable (https://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vi ... =8&t=29511) and you don't even need extra parts.

Yes, I did the refin myself with some rattlecans. Was my first try on this. The worst part was stripping the finish. I scratched the body pretty deep in two places and didn't fill the scratches properly thinking primer and laquer will do the job good enough (foolish me :fp: ). But in the end I was surprised how good it went out, really didn't expect that.

WillPhistre
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by WillPhistre » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:52 pm

WillPhistre wrote: This is great! But with all the stuff you've added, why did you subtract a switch??

I had to use 4pdt switches for the series parallel mod which took quite some space in the cavity. I could have added another spdt (for a strangle switch) but the distances betwwen the sitches would have been irregular and that thought really throwed me off. In hindsight I just should have used the standard switches and used the strangle as a "series" switch. All the three pickup combinations with serial and parallel aren't that much different from either all serial or all parallel. Really wasn't worth the effort, but now I know better
I'm sorry, I haven't got a mic or something to record with that has not super poor audio quality, so I won't be able to give sound examples But the series mod is really recommendable (https://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vi ... =8&t=29511) and you don't even need extra parts.

Yes, I did the refin myself with some rattlecans. Was my first try on this. The worst part was stripping the finish. I scratched the body pretty deep in two places and didn't fill the scratches properly thinking primer and laquer will do the job good enough (foolish me ). But in the end I was surprised how good it went out, really didn't expect that.[/quote]

Aaaaaand you've just inspired me to do this myself. çan I ask which rattle can company you purchased from?

molwam
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by molwam » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:54 pm

WillPhistre wrote: Aaaaaand you've just inspired me to do this myself. çan I ask which rattle can company you purchased from?
This will be a fun project :) Will there be a thread about it? :w00t:

I got the supplies from a shop here in Germany (https://www.gitarrenbastler.de/) and will order from there again, if I do another refin. But I don't know about international shipping costs (laquer is often expensive to ship to other countries, at least here it is). There might be a similar shop where you live? ;)

If I may I'd recommend reading up a lot on this topic before starting, it will save you a lot of hassle. And don't start spraying before the body preperation isn't perfect to your measures. This is where I screwed up the most. Got too excited to finally spray something onto the wood :D And feel free to ask me/us if heelp is needed ;)

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:05 pm

Here's my surfy Gretsch Astro Jet:

The body is one of the '65 - '68 unfinished mahogany astro jet and corvette bodies that were for sale on fleabay a while back. I commissioned a neck to be built by a community member on the Gretsch Pages. It has a pair of TV Jones T-Armond pickups, custom-made mint green pickguard, truss rod cover, and Gretsch Logo. I also picked up an Astro-Jet upper bout nameplate as well. Also has sperzel lock tuners, Gretsch knobs for volume and tone, pots, a tele-style switch, and a Mastery bridge & tremolo system. I then turned everything over to my outstanding guitar tech, Keirn Hilleary of Lucky Pick Guitars in Frederick, MD to put this beastie together and give it a Sonic Blue finish. Some more shots:

The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

markblack77
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by markblack77 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:06 am

lazycircles wrote:1966...not really sonic blue anymore.

Under the guard you can see how much yellowing we are looking at...

that is too cool.

sir h c
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by sir h c » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:56 pm

65 refin, was this horrible creosote black. Other hacked was a squire body off ebay.

In the "paint booth"