NGD! Weirdo obscure early sixties English guitar

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NGD! Weirdo obscure early sixties English guitar

Post by mgeek » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:30 am

Just scored this off ebay- it had turned up earlier in the year and I just loved the shape, without having any idea about it, and was kind of amazed to be outbid, with it finishing for £350.

Then it turned up on gumtree a week later, for £500, and the seller was trying to pass it off as a Burns prototype (it's absolutely not)...

Finally a week or so ago it was back on ebay with a low start, and I won it for under half what it previously sold for. Result!

In the meantime, it turns out that it isn't some mad home build, but an actual small scale maker/company, from Bournemouth. Still searching for information, so not gonna say too much, but as a lover of sixties UK guitars, I'm thrilled to discover a new maker, and this is a very very cool guitar. Apparently the builder also made a semi.

The scale and number of frets has obviously been inspired by the Burns Vibra Artiste (24 frets on a 23 3/8s scale) and the headstock is nabbed from Fenton Weill/Vox design but aside from that it's very original. The hand tooled intonatable bridge bolts directly onto a massive metal block which is embedded into the body to hold the springs in place, and most of the wiring, which uses Burns Trisonic pickups, screws together. Sounds great! The fretwire available back then wasn't great (not much in the way of tang) so it needs a refret due to lifting, which I'll do this week, and someone stripped it, but quality wise it's up there with the better Burns, Fenton Weill and Vox guitars of the early sixties. Better in some ways! The fret positioning is very good, which often can't be said for the bigger makers (plenty of Vox and Fenton Weill guitars have say, a 9th fret wider than the 8th), and the neck has a decently fat, comfortable profile without being impossible to grapple with.

raphaël
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD! Weirdo obscure early sixties English guitar

Post by raphaël » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:10 am

Never seen that before...this sure is something.
But hell yeah!!!
You'll have to grab that book everywhere you go with that guitar :D

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:20 am

raphaël wrote:Never seen that before...this sure is something.
But hell yeah!!!
You'll have to grab that book everywhere you go with that guitar

Haha yeah totally! It's a 10/10 wants to fall over guitar ;)

julius2790
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by julius2790 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:20 am

That thing is badass. Could you take a closer photo of the bridge? Also...what do the switches do?

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:30 am

I think the switches allow both pickups together or individually, and a couple of tone presets- I haven't quite figured out if it's all working as intended- there's an off position at the moment, and not sure I've managed to get neck pickup on it's own yet. It sounds genuinely great plugged in,though and I'm a big fan of switches that can be flicked about mid chord or whatever. I've had tri sonic pickups before but never really noticed that they sounded better or worse than any other pickup, til now.

julius2790
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by julius2790 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:36 am

Wow. I've never heard Tri Sonic pickups. You've got something really unique there after the new fret work gets done.

Thanks for the photo.

daemon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daemon » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:19 am

That thing is insane. And some people thought the break angle on a Jazzmaster was bad!

antisymmetric
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by antisymmetric » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:15 pm

raphaël wrote: You'll have to grab that book everywhere you go with that guitar :D
Probably better to permanently attach the book to the guitar. I know if it was me I'd be always forgetting the book and having all kinds of grief as a result :ph34r:

What a cool find! Totally my kind of thing- odd & weird, and with obvious evidence of real thought and effort having gone into it. I'm glad it ended up in your hands. Keep us posted on your upgrades 8)
Watching the corners turn corners

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:29 am

antisymmetric wrote:
raphaël wrote: You'll have to grab that book everywhere you go with that guitar
Probably better to permanently attach the book to the guitar. I know if it was me I'd be always forgetting the book and having all kinds of grief as a result

What a cool find! Totally my kind of thing- odd & weird, and with obvious evidence of real thought and effort having gone into it. I'm glad it ended up in your hands. Keep us posted on your upgrades
Haha - yeah, it's the thought and effort that makes it interesting- sorta like those NZ Ludwigs etc- limited use of off the shelf parts!

Just found photos of another one and what I guess is the original paint job looks pretty wild! (as well as almost all the details bar the shape being totally different)

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... -312720261" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

oh and daemon- yep, break angle sucks! haha. I've shimmed the neck and it's a lot better though

Daddy Dom
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Daddy Dom » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:56 pm

Looks like it owes a lot to the late-50s Supersound guitars, I reckon. Maybe it's some mutant relative.
http://www.supersound.org.uk/