Emotional content of an instrument

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
FlametopFred
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Emotional content of an instrument

Post by FlametopFred » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:46 am

apreswho wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:57 pm
This is sort of an abstract topic i suppose, maybe even the wrong sub-forum but i think we associate "vibe" and "mojo" and things like that often with vintage instruments so im just going to roll with it...

As musicians, gear nerds, generally socially and emotionally unbalanced arty types we tend to get attached to instruments, to pedals, amps for no rational reason. We keep things around because we "should," and while i've known a few amount of players that seemingly buy gear just to sell it, i've known at least twice as many that still own instruments for nostalgia based reasons, like keeping the subject of a photograph rather than taking the damn picture to begin with.

Have you ever picked up an instrument that you just immediately felt inspired by? Songs seemingly just poured out of it effortlessly. Maybe it was a guitar you loved, maybe it was a guitar you had no interest in. I've got a guitar that is just my absolute favorite to play, its well built, the neck profile suits me perfectly, and it just ticks every single "mojo" box...but i just have never written a damn thing on it. Almost makes me want to sell it! Similarly, i've got another vintage instrument worth relatively little due to the model/shape its in/etc etc that i've done nothing but write on. I dont mind playing it, but if it walked out of the house tomorrow i wouldnt be terribly upset. I've got a guitar i cant sell because...i dont know why because. It just lives in its case, in a closet. i know this is a sin and it was meant to be played but its mine dammit!

Do you have an instrument you dont use ever?
Do you have a guitar you hate but is creative gold?
Do you have your dream instrument but its intellectually void?

and of course accompanying photographs are always encouraged!
This is not abstract to me at all.

In fact I have found over my life that new, expensive guitars won't do as much for me emotionally compared to older, inexpensive guitars I nurture and or customize
Sent my my stone tablet

BlixaFan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Emotional content of an instrument

Post by BlixaFan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:18 pm

i can definitely relate to this. I am currently giving my first electric (an early 90s mexican fender strat) a new life by turning it into some sort of Van Halen inspired single humbucker shred machine. :D

what comforts me and sort of excites me is that it was my first guitar, that i learned everything on, and while other guitars have won out in the meantime, i like the idea of being attracted to my first guitar again, even if its in a different form. :w00t:

I am sort of still emotionally attached to my Jaguar, as I love Jags and Jazzmasters, but honestly, i never super bonded with the Jag. It always had certain finnicky aspects that really at the end of the day annoy me and keep me from playing it more. (i can't do bends without worrying that the string might snap at the ball end? i'll go play another guitar that won't do that)
but I can't bring myself to sell it either.