Slab board heel crack repair help

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
bencrit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Slab board heel crack repair help

Post by bencrit » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:50 pm

Hey guys. I need some help on a heel crack repair I'm doing on the slab board Brazilian Rosewood Stratocaster neck.

As I'm sure some of you know, the slab boards can be prone to cracking right above the truss rod adjuster. The Rosewood is thinner there, and if there is a deep green right on that spot, you can get cracks and extend up several frets.

I tried putting some tight bond in there and clamping it for 24 hours. Tried that twice and it didn't hold either time.

Is there another clue I should be using? Any recommendations?

zepset
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Slab board heel crack repair help

Post by zepset » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:19 pm

Any photos to visualize the problem a little better? My first thought is that you may need a glue that can penetrate better than Titebond, which is pretty thick. Water thin hot hide glue usually works well. Heat the area you will be gluing with a heat lamp or heat gun before you apply the glue and it will penetrate even better.

Supa-Stang
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Slab board heel crack repair help

Post by Supa-Stang » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:10 pm

Picture could help but really depends how deep the crack is. For smaller/cosmetic issues then picking up a small off cut of rosewood, filing it down and mixing the saw dust with super glue, use a cocktail stick or such like to apply into gap and then sand flush once is a good trick.