NGD: Something wicked this way comes.

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD: Something wicked this way comes.

Post by Danley » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:30 pm

Score. BTW... Do you plan on selling "The Mag?" (or "The JB?") :)
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Gavanti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gavanti » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:11 pm

Danley wrote:Score. BTW... Do you plan on selling "The Mag?" (or "The JB?")
That will likely happen, though one of the guitar's powers appears to be transforming my amp's gain channel into a time machine with a 1993 preset. The old SD's sound good.

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:16 pm

I would reverse them in the slots; the JB would probably work a lot better balance-wise than the Mag at the bridge.

FYI, a "Mag" is not the same as a "Stag Mag;" the poles are flat, and I believe the Stag Mag is A2 magnets where the Mag is A5 . Both are Alnico polepiece humbuckers, almost like a Wide Range (if you happened not to know...) :)
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

tonehungry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tonehungry » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:46 pm

what kind of humbuckers did it come with?

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:10 pm

You buy this off a guy in Pittsburgh? I had the cash lined up and he agreed to terms but I got a flat tire and my one friend who could do it refused to take me to get it. Really, really bums me out but it wasn't meant to be I guess :/

I'd love to see/hear how it plays and I hope you enjoy it! If it's ever a thing you'd wish to pass along maybe you'll think of me.

It could be a different guitar I guess but that's gotta be a tiny chance right

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:07 pm

Totally badass! This guitar screams Sonic Youth to me! :-*
Resident Spartan.

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:51 pm

Doesn't 'ES' stand for 'Entered Special'? i.e. NAMM or special order guitar?

Cool Jaguar - funny that there are so many A neck offsets around ... I've never seen an A neck Telecaster or Strat. I've had three A neck offsets (two Jaguars and a Jazzmaster)!

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:02 am

please tell me this thing sounds as good as i think it would with a turbo rat
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Gavanti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gavanti » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:47 am

Danley wrote:I would reverse them in the slots; the JB would probably work a lot better balance-wise than the Mag at the bridge.

FYI, a "Mag" is not the same as a "Stag Mag;" the poles are flat, and I believe the Stag Mag is A2 magnets where the Mag is A5 . Both are Alnico polepiece humbuckers, almost like a Wide Range (if you happened not to know...)
Thanks for the info. Super useful!
Despot wrote:Doesn't 'ES' stand for 'Entered Special'? i.e. NAMM or special order guitar?
I think so, but there seem to be a lot of sunbursts with the designation. ANyone have any clarifying info on this?
Mechanical Birds wrote:You buy this off a guy in Pittsburgh?
Yeah, that's the one. When he dropped the price a considerable amount I knew I had to give it a shot. It took some persistence, but he was a super nice guy—easy to work with. Shipping ended up being crazy high because it went to the UPS Store for a "pack & ship" (don't do this). I'll definitely keep you in mind if I decide to go a different direction.
zhivago wrote:Totally badass! This guitar screams Sonic Youth to me!
s_mcsleazy wrote:please tell me this thing sounds as good as i think it would with a turbo rat
Yes....Yes it does. :w00t:
It's unlikely the buckers are staying, but they are really fun. I think the neck plays as well or better than my '68, but I'd like to get a Staytrem on there to narrow the string spacing down the neck a bit more.

dylanafghjkl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dylanafghjkl » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:50 pm

Wowww, that's great. Love me some a width neck.

Any ideas what pickups you'd put in it?

Gavanti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gavanti » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:44 pm

dylanafghjkl wrote:Wowww, that's great. Love me some a width neck.

Thanks. I've got another thread going with suggestions requested. The neck will be a Jag pickup, I think...not sure what kind. Less certain what I want to do with the bridge. Jag? Jag-90? Lollar bird? Roadhouse Kingston? Lots of possibilities.

I discovered by accident earlier that the pickup switching has been redone, I think to allow series/parallel with the top two switches up or down together. The filter switch only seems to engage with the neck pickup, but I'm not certain if it's still a filter, or if it's a coil tap. Most guitars I'm under the hood quickly, but things are busy right now.

dylanafghjkl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dylanafghjkl » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:05 pm

Gavanti wrote:
dylanafghjkl wrote:Wowww, that's great. Love me some a width neck.

Thanks. I've got another thread going with suggestions requested. The neck will be a Jag pickup, I think...not sure what kind. Less certain what I want to do with the bridge. Jag? Jag-90? Lollar bird? Roadhouse Kingston? Lots of possibilities.

I discovered by accident earlier that the pickup switching has been redone, I think to allow series/parallel with the top two switches up or down together. The filter switch only seems to engage with the neck pickup, but I'm not certain if it's still a filter, or if it's a coil tap. Most guitars I'm under the hood quickly, but things are busy right now.
damn thats so cool
you could fit anything in there if you wanted to, which i guess makes it even more difficult to decide, haha

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:48 am

...you could always put an old Höfner mini humbucker in the neck... :whistle:
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:26 pm

Well I'm glad it went to somebody I know will appreciate it and do cool stuff with it. Could have gone to some dad who already has a million guitars and ended up sitting around but I get the feeling yr gonna use it.

Post some more pics maybe?? The pics on the ad were horrible haha

Gavanti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gavanti » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:31 pm

The switching on this is really odd. It appears that he filter has been moved to the top switch position and reversed, so that down is filtered and up is off. The middle switch controls the neck pickup, which is on in both positions but sounds a little different in each. It could be a coil tap, but I'm getting a response from both coils. The bottom switch controls the bridge pickup. When it is in the on position and the middle switch is in the traditional off position, the neck pickup is off. However, the bottom switch in the on position and the middle switch in the traditional on position yield zip. The rhythm circuit works as expected.

Also, I think it's possible the original color was Oly White.