NOT ORIGNAL PARTS 1963 Jaguar Blonde w/ Gold Hardware

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NOT ORIGNAL PARTS 1963 Jaguar Blonde w/ Gold Hardware

Post by N0_Camping4U » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:48 am

I'm not being funny, but in like 5 or 10 years after all of this has been forgotten, can't he pass it along as 'uber rare gold hardware 63 Jaguar'? How would anyone know the hardware didn't go to this originally?
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."

FrankRay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FrankRay » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:45 am

Personally I think that if the greatest expert on earth couldn't say that it isn't all original, then it is all original. 63 parts on a 63 guitar; absolutely fine. It looks great, it sounds great, so it is great. I mean, without that original disclosure who could possibly have called it?

fendercollection
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fendercollection » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:03 pm

Anyone who opened up the guitar would have seen that there was no gold on the truss rod screw. My friend owned the guitar in it's original form and there was no gold. So that's how I knew the dealer is lying

If the guitar ever pops up for sale as all original, the seller will have to deal me 8)

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:28 am

Did they seriously use gold plated truss screws even though they are pretty well hidden?

Maulden7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Maulden7 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:51 am

Did they seriously use gold plated truss screws even though they are pretty well hidden?
This question caused me to examine the seven 60's & early 70's gold hardware CAR Fenders that I have (63 - 73) & the answer seems to be yes & no!

Obviously screw driver / adjustment "damage" must have an effect here, but on five of them there has clearly never been any gold plating. On the other two (& they are the oldest - including a 63 Jazzmaster) there does seem to be signs of gold plating on the flat part of the end! Of course the only way to be sure would be to dismantle the necks from the bodies (or perhaps I should buy a good quality magnifying glass?)

I'm not being definitive here, but perhaps it is something that Fender did do for a time, & then stopped (as mgeek said ..... the end is very well hidden so you could see somebody at Fender suggesting that it was rather a waste of time)?

fendercollection
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fendercollection » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:27 am

Maulden7 wrote:
This question caused me to examine the seven 60's & early 70's gold hardware CAR Fenders that I have (63 - 73) & the answer seems to be yes & no!

Obviously screw driver / adjustment "damage" must have an effect here, but on five of them there has clearly never been any gold plating. On the other two (& they are the oldest - including a 63 Jazzmaster) there does seem to be signs of gold plating on the flat part of the end! Of course the only way to be sure would be to dismantle the necks from the bodies (or perhaps I should buy a good quality magnifying glass?)

I'm not being definitive here, but perhaps it is something that Fender did do for a time, & then stopped (as mgeek said ..... the end is very well hidden so you could see somebody at Fender suggesting that it was rather a waste of time)?
Very interesting! Thank you for checking on your guitars

I had a early 1964 Jaguar w/ gold hardware in it had the gold plating on the truss rod screw. I haven't taken apart any Fenders with gold hardware later than '64 and I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped doing it. Anything pre '64 with original gold hardware that I've seen had the gold

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:09 pm

regarding the non=original decal.
The spacing of J A G U A R is too wide (there are great really old JAGUAR decals out there with this slightly too wide spacing... but they are superb in every other way .. I have used them myself)

Also the real give away, the dickhead seller left the "PAT PENDING" on the bottom of the little decal.
Jaguars never had PAT PENDING. The offset design was already patented before Jaguars were officially released
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...