Clean L-Series Jazzmaster score on Reverb

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
takeittothemall
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Clean L-Series Jazzmaster score on Reverb

Post by takeittothemall » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:28 pm

The guitar gods smiled upon me today. I snagged myself an L-series Jazzmaster just a few hours after it was listed on Reverb. The seller explained that he had just inherited the guitar from a deceased uncle and now is in need of / prefers cash. He clearly wasn't highly familiar with the guitar, as he referred to it as "starburst" (as delicious as that sounds) rather than sunburst and chose a picture of the case, rather than the guitar itself, for the cover photo of the Reverb listing--all of which contributed to a strike price that was substantially below the seller's unrealistic asking price and too good to pass up, especially given that vintage Jazzmaster prices seem to have gone bonkers recently.

We spoke on the phone and he says that, according to his uncle, it is 100% original "except the strings", which he reportedly verified at his local Guitar Center where he took it for examination. It looks like something of a case queen. The case itself is appears to be in fantastic shape. I am pumped for it to arrive and to see what I've really got, as well as upload some more detailed photos.

In the event that something smells funny upon receiving the guitar, I've got seven days to return it for a full refund, which provides some peace of mind, given that this seller was in no position to provide gut shots.

great OSG deals with: ncarey13, skip.
great TGP deals with: drjoel, 12strings, Tim P, angrybandnerd, echobaseone, guitarpkr67, jcampbell331

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Re: Clean L-Series Jazzmaster score on Reverb

Post by zhivago » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:45 pm

Excellent guitar with transitional features! 8)
Resident Spartan.

otis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by otis » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:46 pm

Well, that looks very promising!
1965, and very well conserved.
You're lucky!

takeittothemall
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by takeittothemall » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:21 pm

otis wrote:Well, that looks very promising!
1965, and very well conserved.
You're lucky!
Part of my luck is that the combination of a high price and poor photos probably scared away most other potential buyers. I'm glad he misnamed the color, otherwise I wouldn't have recognized the opportunity.
great TGP deals with: drjoel, 12strings, Tim P, angrybandnerd, echobaseone, guitarpkr67, jcampbell331

saxjag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by saxjag » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:58 pm

takeittothemall hugged himself with barely-suppressed glee. Yes, he had scored, and scored big! But as he chortled all mimsy amongst the borogoves, little did he suspect that Fate itself was targeting him in that UPS truck, rattling the bones time and time again, and somehow always coming up Snake Eyes.

For a little while at least, takeittothemall's sanity was intact; had he seen gutshots of the mysterious Jazzmaster's innards, however, his mind would have snapped like a schoolkid's pencil as he ran gibbering and naked off the nearest cliff. For this guitar contained actual guts.

Something smelled funny, all right. And seven days... or seven years... might not be enough time to free his soul from the eldritch curse that even now was extending its icy tendrils (new strings indeed!) toward him.

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:26 am

Hell YEAH!!! I had one just like it, also very very cheap.i sold it here on the OSG, and I miss it. A lot.

Don't make that mistake too, man.
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

takeittothemall
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by takeittothemall » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:35 am

saxjag wrote:takeittothemall hugged himself with barely-suppressed glee. Yes, he had scored, and scored big! But as he chortled all mimsy amongst the borogoves, little did he suspect that Fate itself was targeting him in that UPS truck, rattling the bones time and time again, and somehow always coming up Snake Eyes.

For a little while at least, takeittothemall's sanity was intact; had he seen gutshots of the mysterious Jazzmaster's innards, however, his mind would have snapped like a schoolkid's pencil as he ran gibbering and naked off the nearest cliff. For this guitar contained actual guts.

Something smelled funny, all right. And seven days... or seven years... might not be enough time to free his soul from the eldritch curse that even now was extending its icy tendrils (new strings indeed!) toward him.

Very well written and A+ for creativity. The Stephen King-style creative writing form is actually two doors down on the left. You can't miss it.

amv
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by amv » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:48 am

takeittothemall wrote:In the event that something smells funny upon receiving the guitar
Always a distinct possibility when buying used gear.

Great looking guitar, though! Can't wait to hear the verdict after unboxing.

takeittothemall
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by takeittothemall » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:17 am

Finally received the guitar. This thing is very clean. It definitely passes the sniff test. June 1965 neck stamp. Interestingly, it looks like the factory stamped the neck with model codes for both Precision Bass (5) and Jazzmaster (4). The bridge is missing a few height adjustment screws. This bad boy is heading to a local guitar tech tomorrow for a once-over, after which I will look to post some clips.

And now I have to decide which of my two 65's to keep:

Last edited by takeittothemall on Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gav Haus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gav Haus » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:19 am

The guard is stunning - congrats; that really is a looker
http://wearerichlist.com

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:15 pm

Incredibly clean!

Still love your D+B as well. Cool to see them side by side. How different are those paint jobs at just about 6 months apart! Wow.
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

Gav Haus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gav Haus » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:21 pm

Purely aesthetically speaking, the new one has it for me.
http://wearerichlist.com

takeittothemall
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by takeittothemall » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:19 pm

kosmonautmayhem wrote:Incredibly clean!

Still love your D+B as well. Cool to see them side by side. How different are those paint jobs at just about 6 months apart! Wow.
The d&b is a survivor. Other guitars have come and gone, but, despite more than a few offers, I can't convince myself to make a deal on the d&b.

I wonder if the d&b didn't have much red in the first place or if it's faded dramatically. Everything about the L-series is darker--the guard, the fretboard, the burst. I wonder if it's just much, much closer to the condition 65s started out in.

otis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by otis » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:49 am

takeittothemall wrote:
The d&b is a survivor. Other guitars have come and gone, but, despite more than a few offers, I can't convince myself to make a deal on the d&b.

I wonder if the d&b didn't have much red in the first place or if it's faded dramatically. Everything about the L-series is darker--the guard, the fretboard, the burst. I wonder if it's just much, much closer to the condition 65s started out in.

If the d&b is the one you like best and you bonded with it, the choice between this one and a newcomer would be easy for me.
Personally and only judging from the pictures I like the new one better; no binding, very nice tort, dark fretboard and the finish is beautifull.

l9gaj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by l9gaj » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:12 am

Good score. If I was forced to pick it would be the new one for me too but I have no sentimental connection.