New guitar day! (Again.)

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New guitar day! (Again.)

Post by Jaguar018 » Wed May 31, 2017 5:59 am

When are you going to change the tuners to your precious locking type? ::) :P

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed May 31, 2017 6:01 am

I was actually looking at some just today...

Because if I do keep the guitar, I might as well do all the stuff that I do to all my guitars. I'd probably take the tuners off of this one to preserve them as much as anything, they work OK but can be improved on certainly and maybe they'll last longer in a bag, who knows.

The pickups I don't know what to do with, I suppose I could hunt down some actual vintage Mustang pickups but with prices being what they are, I'm unlikely to come off $300 for a set just to maintain vintage accuracy. The ones in here weren't cheap, though, and actually are wound to Telecaster specs so might have an arguably "better" sound than the typical thin Mustang sound (which can certainly be great).

And then we come to the bridge. Is there any room for improvement with an actual vintage Mustang bridge?

And is this an actual vintage Mustang bridge? I kind of don't know, the saddles look vintage but the bridge plate looks a little not. I might make that the focus of another thread, someone here certainly knows.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

biro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by biro » Wed May 31, 2017 7:18 am

looking at the dome-like (can't find a better word) attachments of the posts to the base plate, i would say it is an original 60s bridge.

the only possible ways to improve the bridge are the usuals:
- staytrem (mainly for string spacing... it keeps e strings away from fretboard edges).
- mastery (mainly for string spacing and non rocking feature).

the only mod i would do to your bridge is to add two metal bushings to prevent the bridge from rocking, which is the same thing i've done on my mustang.

btw, sweet guitar really!

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Wed May 31, 2017 7:39 am

Re: Bridge upgrades, I like a JM/Jag bridge on my Mustang to combat the string spacing issue. With the break angle on a Mustang they work great, and with no slippage.

The best part is that if you have a vintage/avri JM/Jag you likely have one sitting in your part drawer.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed May 31, 2017 8:28 am

biro wrote:looking at the dome-like (can't find a better word) attachments of the posts to the base plate, i would say it is an original 60s bridge.

the only possible ways to improve the bridge are the usuals:
- staytrem (mainly for string spacing... it keeps e strings away from fretboard edges).
- mastery (mainly for string spacing and non rocking feature).

the only mod i would do to your bridge is to add two metal bushings to prevent the bridge from rocking, which is the same thing i've done on my mustang.

btw, sweet guitar really!
Thank you! I might put up some better pictures of the bridge later today.

If I upgrade the bridge, it'll be another Mastery... so you can imagine that I'll have decided very clearly to keep the guitar at that point. I have no objections to a StayTrem bridge, but I'm not sure if there's really all that much improvement over a vintage Mustang bridge (I've owned one before).

Besides if I buy another Mastery bridge then Megan can make fun of me and call me a douchebag and she'll be correct and that'll be fun for her. Who am I to deprive her of that?
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

biro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by biro » Wed May 31, 2017 8:43 am

Larry Mal wrote:Who am I to deprive her of that?
you know Larry, it's a dirty job, but somebody's gotta do it!

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Wed May 31, 2017 9:42 am

You're a fucking hero, Larry. :-*
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed May 31, 2017 10:29 am

Well, that's if I keep it, you know? It always was kind of a pawn in my opinion. And I have like twenty electric guitars at the moment, so I don't really need this one if I don't love it.

On the other hand, though, it's a God damn pre-CBS Fender, which I never thought to own. That's nothing to laugh at.

Yeatzee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Yeatzee » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:25 pm

Gorgeous love the color!