NGD - 1967 Fender Jaguar CAR

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD - 1967 Fender Jaguar CAR

Post by Despot » Mon May 22, 2017 5:51 am

eggwheat wrote:Interesting reading and it's great that you haven't lost out.

But people should take that as a warning when buying from atoyboy guitars...to me it seems they buy guitars cheap in the USA with known 'issues' and then make quite a bit of effort hiding them to get top dollar.

It's what music ground did all the time..and they got worse until they just used to fake whole guitars..
To be fair to Atoyboy (and I've never done any business with them, so I've no vested interest), this guitar was listed for 2,700 sterling with them. That's just over 3k euro. 3.5k euro would be the going rate for a Jaguar in sunburst with wear and/or some minor issues (i.e. replaced tuners or missing case) - at least in the market here. I can't recall whether or not they'd mentioned any issue with the finish in the listed ad when they had it (it was pointed out to me by the purchaser here in Dublin and I think I just skimmed the photos rather than checking out the details) - but their sale price sounds about right for what it is. If they hadn't disclosed the issues in their sale details that would be a bit off for sure ... but I can't categorically say one way or the other so the comment above is just for balance. At that price it may well have been factored in to the sale - and should be listed front and centre in the sale description.

Thanks for pointing out the decal issue though Eggwheat - I always prefer to know what I'm dealing with (and to learn along the way) ... that was much appreciated. :)

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Mon May 22, 2017 5:51 am

And you're dead right - it's a case of Caveat Emptor ... no matter who you're buying from. That's the lesson I'm taking from this!

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Mon May 22, 2017 6:04 am

I just had a quick search and I stand corrected about the decal admission on this guitar...but interesting about the frets! "zero wear'?

"This is a STUNNING original and near MINT vintage 1967 Fender Jaguar in custom colour Candy Apple Red with matching headstock which has the original black, tolex Jaguar hard shell case that is also just about MINT and is all original in very fine, unfaded condition.

​It is a spectacular guitar to see and I rarely see such deep, unfaded almost ruby red like, original Candy Apple finish. What is more, it comes complete with the original trem arm and bridge cover.
This guitar is 100% original except someone has added a part of the decal ‘UAR’ of the JAGUAR as the original had worn - you only notice this if you look really closely. and it is finished in the original C.A.R. finish Very cool.
There are just a few marks here and there including some checking on the matching Candy Apple Red headstock (see pictures) but this must be one of the finest ones available right now.
All hardware is original including the white guard as are the electrics in fact it looks like it could be just 5 years old, not 48. Hardware still gleams bright with almost no corrosion, almost like new. Pickups sound great and switches work well. Trem arm is included as well as the bridge cover and even the mute felt is intact but it may have been replaced, I am not sure - it just looks too good to be orignal but may be!
Original black, no logo Tolex case is included and this is also in near mint condition with just s few very small scuffs here and there.
There are no extra routes anywhere, this guitar has a brilliant feel guitar plays well, sounds classic and superb with a great strong, balanced sound from both pickups. Feel of the neck is great and has virtually zero fret or fingerboard wear on it’s original frets. Please see the video of this in action on my website.
Weight is a good 3.4Kg, neck profile is classic ‘C’ shape and it has a wonderful, rosewood fingerboard. Very nice."

Maulden7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Maulden7 » Mon May 22, 2017 6:26 am

It's what music ground did all the time..and they got worse until they just used to fake whole guitars..
Yep, been there & nearly fell for it, but didn't! Been on TV talking about the experience ...... but the guitar wasn't faked by MG of course!

Dave M.

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Mon May 22, 2017 6:27 am

Hmm ... nothing about the finish touch up. At least they did point out the decal repair (though that's a lot more obvious once you look at it than the finish work).

Yeah ... the frets are playable, but you'd have to have an extremely light touch (which I don't!).

Thanks for finding that Eggwheat.

It's going to be interesting to black light this guitar!

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Mon May 22, 2017 6:30 am

Maulden7 wrote:
Yep, been there & nearly fell for it, but didn't! Been on TV talking about the experience ...... but the guitar wasn't faked by MG of course!

Dave M.
You see I've always been far more trusting with offsets than I would be with an ES gibson or Telecaster/Strat. Simply on the basis that the increased price difference between a mint custom colour Jaguar and a worn custom colour Jaguar isn't what it is with an ES or Tele/Strat. If you're going to fake something, or put that level or restoration work into it you'd make more money for your efforts from something other than a Jaguar or Jazzmaster.

I'm willing to bet that the work done on this guitar was well meaning - i.e. someone who bought it and wanted it restored to flawless rather than to have a few battle scars as there's no real worthy economic basis for putting that much effort in!

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Mon May 22, 2017 6:33 am

Despot wrote:It's going to be interesting to black light this guitar!
Not as interesting as black lighting a hotel room. ;)

It is definitely an interesting guitar with some head-scratching parts. I am sure you will get it all sorted out and it will be awesome.
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Mon May 22, 2017 6:54 am

Cheers HNB.

This is turning into another of my mini investigations ... and I enjoy those. The worst case scenario would have been a total overspray (which I don't think it is) ... and even at that I'd probably have paid in or around the right price for it (maybe a max of 250 over value). I'm pretty sure it's not that and so it's working out at the proper value (rather than the steal I thought it was).

The main thing is that it's a fantastic guitar ... the other stuff about it's originality is good to know and document so that I can be 100% up front with anyone if I were to sell it on (i.e. to the extent of work done). What matters is right - pickups, light wood, nice neck profile, B&B!

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon May 22, 2017 7:09 am

That's a lovely looking old guitar, hopefully a guitar for life. Old CAR never really comes across in photos, I've only seen a couple in real life and the paint really looks dimensional and pretty different that the modern ones. I've an old Mecedes in a similar hue (DB571 Rot Met) that's 2 years younger than your Jaguar and I wasn't too fussed about that colour in photos either but it looks otherworldly in the flesh.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Mon May 22, 2017 11:37 pm

Thanks David.

The thing I've noticed about the paint is how well the recent AV65 replicated that 3D effect of CAR - the sort of pop of the colour if you will. The difference between mine and the AV65 is purely yellowing of the clear coat I would say.

That sort of three dimensional effect is also how I'm able to spot the finish touch up areas - they're good ... but there's a difference in the colour and how the colour reacts to light when you angle it.

If I were buying a custom colour fender new I would never order CAR - I'd probably go with LPB or OTM (both of which are colours I've loved whenever I've seen them on an offset) ... this is the third CAR offset I've had (a thin skin Jazzmaster in a dark CAR, my old '71 Jaguar in quite a bright CAR and now this).

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Tue May 23, 2017 4:53 am

andrewaward wrote:The neck pocket has similar stamps to what they used on pickups.............at a guess C744 could be CAR 1967 44th week.

I've not seen many JMs or Jags after 66 in real life ..............as years went on they sold less (relatively)..........a 67 is pretty rare in a custom colour - its a nice one to have.
I meant to reply to that message Andrew, but forgot. The neck is a September 67 stamp ... so that means that your suggestion re: the neck code makes sense (week 44 being October '67).

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Tue May 23, 2017 2:55 pm

I have no real view on atoyboy guitars aside from that it is the silliest name I have ever heard for a dealer.

Unless I become a dealer and call my company "Floral Pee-pee Guitars"

Or something. Maybe I should do that... :D
Resident Spartan.

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Wed May 24, 2017 1:11 am

Yeah ... it's a terrible name.

The one thing I've noticed about their stock is that they seem to manage to get some interesting stuff (over and above what other stores seem to have available in the UK).

I've seen some cool non-reverse Firebirds (which are of interest to me) as well as some Specials/Juniors and Teles. They do generally list refinishing on guitars (and they seem to find a few of them) ... I've always considered a refin a good way to get a vintage guitar at a reasonable price.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Wed May 24, 2017 3:11 am

Despot wrote:Yeah ... it's a terrible name.

The one thing I've noticed about their stock is that they seem to manage to get some interesting stuff (over and above what other stores seem to have available in the UK).

I've seen some cool non-reverse Firebirds (which are of interest to me) as well as some Specials/Juniors and Teles. They do generally list refinishing on guitars (and they seem to find a few of them) ... I've always considered a refin a good way to get a vintage guitar at a reasonable price.

I have kept an eye on their site for a while.

They actually had a GREAT looking 1964 ES345 at the last guitar show I went to...it got my attention so I started following them on Facebook, but he does social media OVERKILL. :wtf:

I unfollowed them within a week, as all I got in my timeline was their posts.

I guess I was asking for it!! :D :fp:
Resident Spartan.

mijmog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mijmog » Wed May 24, 2017 3:43 am

I don't get the name either, what is going on with that? Horrid. He used to sell lots of old amps years ago, some amazingly clean blonde Fender stuff.

Has a few interesting player grade guitars, that SG Custom is interesting, a refin but original pickups. Would have to see it in person.

Does anyone take note of the occasional 99p start auctions atoyboy does? Obviously the instruments are procured so cheap that they can afford to take a hit, or they just want to move stock and can afford to do so. It shows the true representation of what people are prepared to pay on vintage "player" guitars.

Last week a '60 LP Junior, albeit refinished and with some changed parts, went for £1600. It was priced at £2999.