Catfish Collins' 1976 B&B Jazzblaster - Bootsy's Rubber Band

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
thisisnickpaige
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Catfish Collins' 1976 B&B Jazzblaster - Bootsy's Rubber Band

Post by thisisnickpaige » Thu May 18, 2017 10:16 am

Seen at about 20:20 in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3byI94zEjc4

I can't seem to find much about it, but i was just watching this Bootsy Rubber Band concert on youtube, and when Catfish steps up do his solo i was stunned. Predates most cats with that Jazzblaster; how cool, blocks and binding too! Looks like a black pickguard, and four knobs at that? Backwards humbucker in the neck. 1976, both jazzmasters and jaguars were still being made, if my memory serves me right. In the first picture it has two tele knobs, if that is the same guitar. At first i thought it was a jaguar because it looked like a short scale neck, but then i saw the jazz master 3 way switch.

I found it in one more video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MmZGUBGHrc at around the 5 minute mark.
Jesus

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Catfish Collins' 1976 B&B Jazzblaster - Bootsy's Rubber

Post by Singlebladepickup » Thu May 18, 2017 1:51 pm

Glory be, tha funks on me!

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Thu May 18, 2017 3:18 pm

Catfish Collins played a Vox Ultrasonic too. The man clearly had impeccable taste :)
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

thisisnickpaige
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thisisnickpaige » Fri May 19, 2017 4:22 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:Catfish Collins played a Vox Ultrasonic too. The man clearly had impeccable taste
Clearly! I never thought about guitar listening to any of the P-funk variations. It was always bass or horns; so it was really cool to see. Interesting about the VOX too. How'd you find that out?
Jesus

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri May 19, 2017 6:11 am

Really? They were always known for being a guitar band, and they had a guy named Eddie Hazel who is just like, my favorite guitarist.

Listen from 1:27 on here- skip George Clinton's marihuana influenced babbling at the beginning- Eddie's guitar lines just float in and out, punching when they have to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeNkRuY ... uYHy8k#t=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And of course, there's this motherfucker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d1i35T ... eNkRuYHy8k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But as cool as Catfish is, I usually think of him as a guitarist with James Brown, I'm virtually certain he's on here (although it's Bootsy who shines the most). I'll defy anyone to not enjoy this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtRwb9vBrPM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Fri May 19, 2017 8:06 am

thisisnickpaige wrote:Interesting about the VOX too. How'd you find that out?
I honestly can't remember how I heard about it. It was ages ago. I ended up digging out a YouTube clip of him playing alongside (as Larry mentioned) James Brown.

He's in this clip from 0:36 onwards.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

thisisnickpaige
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thisisnickpaige » Fri May 19, 2017 8:50 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
I honestly can't remember how I heard about it. It was ages ago. I ended up digging out a YouTube clip of him playing alongside (as Larry mentioned) James Brown.

Great clip, by the way.

Yeah, i just found out not only did the brothers, Bootsy and Catfish come from James but by the Mothership Connection album George had the whole horn section from the JB's; including Fred Wesley and Maceo Parker. Some of my favourite parts of the Clones of Dr. Funkenstein are the horn arrangements, and playing. No wonder! That both shocked, and made so much sense to me; all at the same time.
Last edited by thisisnickpaige on Fri May 19, 2017 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Fri May 19, 2017 9:04 am

thisisnickpaige wrote:
PorkyPrimeCut wrote:

Yeah, i just found out not only did the brothers, Bootsy and Catfish come from James but by the Mothership Connection album George had the whole section from the JB's; including Fred Wesley and Maceo Parker. Some of my favourite parts of the Clones of Dr. Funkenstein are the horn arrangements, and playing. No wonder! That both shocked, and made so much sense to me; all at the same time.
There's a scary amount of funk in that there paragraph!! It's lucky you didn't mention Sly Stone aswell, the forum might've broken down!

Incidentally, the only other old clip (not including BJM and their ilk) I found of a Vox Ultrasonic was the infamous Smothers Brothers clip when Pete smashes one up, right before getting his hearing permanently damaged by an exploding drumkit (that Keith Moon had tampered with beforehand). Heheheh!

Anyway, back to that B & B Jazzblaster.

thisisnickpaige
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thisisnickpaige » Fri May 19, 2017 9:13 am

Larry Mal wrote:Really? They were always known for being a guitar band, and they had a guy named Eddie Hazel who is just like, my favorite guitarist.

Listen from 1:27 on here- skip George Clinton's marihuana influenced babbling at the beginning- Eddie's guitar lines just float in and out, punching when they have to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeNkRuY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... uYHy8k#t=8

And of course, there's this motherfucker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d1i35T" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... eNkRuYHy8k

But as cool as Catfish is, I usually think of him as a guitarist with James Brown, I'm virtually certain he's on here (although it's Bootsy who shines the most). I'll defy anyone to not enjoy this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtRwb9vBrPM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You think that's only weed by that point? haha

I must admit, until late i have not been that hip to the total universe that surrounded them; I was always just a Parliament fan, but now there's all these new bands opened up to me. I never even knew of Funkadelic as a separate entity (obviously, its the same band, but you know). What a brilliant marketing idea! I started as a bass player so Earth, Wind, and Fire, Ohio Players, Parliament, and Gap Band were essential learning material. I got the most into Parliament, but only went from Chocolate City to the Motor Booty Affair. There's so much information on those albums alone. Now i get to go back and listen to all those Funkadelic's albums, Bootsy's Rubber Band, Fred Wesley and the Horny Horns, Eddie Hazel's albums, etc. I was massively into James Brown, and the JB's, and Maceo as a solo artist, so thats why it came as such a surprise that some of my favourite Parliament horn parts were the same guys.

This track is the horn part the blew 'the cobwebs out my mind' for years!

The solo at 1:23. Man, that solo is so tight!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-d71P8hJi8

But the song that will always be my number one track; just so much feeling, such a groove!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noqMfTRKNlo

I'm currently learning the Fred Wesley solo on that track on guitar. Man, it's fun.

Oddly enough, " Funkadelic - Get Off Your Ass And Jam " was given to me during the Napster/LimeWire era as a Parliament track on a mix cd my buddy gave me.
Last edited by thisisnickpaige on Fri May 19, 2017 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus

thisisnickpaige
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thisisnickpaige » Fri May 19, 2017 9:17 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
thisisnickpaige wrote: Yeah, i just found out not only did the brothers, Bootsy and Catfish come from James but by the Mothership Connection album George had the whole section from the JB's; including Fred Wesley and Maceo Parker. Some of my favourite parts of the Clones of Dr. Funkenstein are the horn arrangements, and playing. No wonder! That both shocked, and made so much sense to me; all at the same time.
There's a scary amount of funk in that there paragraph!! It's lucky you didn't mention Sly Stone aswell, the forum might've broken down!

Incidentally, the only other old clip (not including BJM and their ilk) I found of a Vox Ultrasonic was the infamous Smothers Brothers clip when Pete smashes one up, right before getting his hearing permanently damaged by an exploding drumkit (that Keith Moon had tampered with beforehand). Heheheh!

Anyway, back to that B & B Jazzblaster.
Well if that was too funky for ya, dare to not read the last one i just posted.

Sly and the Who. Two bands i have respect for but never really overly cared for. Well, that goes more so for the Who. My mom is a huge Sly and the Family Stone, and Steve Wonder fan. Nah, i can get down with Sly. There's just something about the Who i could never dig. Some really great tracks, but could never sit through an album.
Jesus

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Fri May 19, 2017 9:47 am

Please don't convince me to get my Funkadelic records out again. Last time I did it took me a year to climb out of the hole.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Fri May 19, 2017 10:03 am

thisisnickpaige wrote: Sly and the Who. Two bands i have respect for but never really overly cared for. Well, that goes more so for the Who. My mom is a huge Sly and the Family Stone, and Steve Wonder fan. Nah, i can get down with Sly. There's just something about the Who i could never dig. Some really great tracks, but could never sit through an album.
I'm kind of the same. I shared a room in my first year of college with a massive The Who fan though, so I heard most of their albums fairly regularly. Plus, I've seen Tommy several times because my mum always watched it when it was on telly. The same goes for Quadrophenia.
Sly and the Family Stone all but escaped me, except for their amazing medley they perform at Woodstock. A friend bought me the soundtrack on triple vinyl for my 15th birthday & I still play the Sly Stone part almost every time I'm getting ready to go out. Just the funkiest, most uplifting 15 minutes of live music you'll ever hear.

Funkadelic though, I absolutely love their first 3 albums. I'm pretty lost getting into P-Funk/Parliament stuff and all the other George Clinton spin-offs but those late 60s/early 70s records are golden! The title track, Free Your Mind & Your Ass Will Follow took my head off the first time I heard it!

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Fri May 19, 2017 10:12 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
I'm kind of the same. I shared a room in my first year of college with a massive The Who fan though, so I heard most of their albums fairly regularly. Plus, I've seen Tommy several times because my mum always watched it when it was on telly. The same goes for Quadrophenia.

I consider myself a Who fan, but they are a singles band (which is a totally acceptable thing to base a reputation on!) to me, with the peak era being '64-68. I can't hang with Tommy because it won't let you forget that it's a highfalutin concept record with lyrics you have to pay attention to. Not the case with the 'other' first concept album, SF Sorrow by The Pretty Things.

As for Sly- it's all about 'there's a riot going on' to me...it's a murky masterpiece!

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Fri May 19, 2017 10:46 am

mgeek wrote: I consider myself a Who fan, but they are a singles band...
I feel exactly the same way about The Rolling Stones (ducks for cover!)
mgeek wrote: SF Sorrow by The Pretty Things.
Really odd that you should mention this as I've revisited it over the last couple of days. I was actually planning on posting one of the tracks in the Song Of The Day thread (I still will, when I get round to finding track links).

thisisnickpaige
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thisisnickpaige » Fri May 19, 2017 11:41 am

countertext wrote:Please don't convince me to get my Funkadelic records out again. Last time I did it took me a year to climb out of the hole.
Do it. Free your mind, and the funk will follow. ;D
PorkyPrimeCut wrote: I'm kind of the same. I shared a room in my first year of college with a massive The Who fan though... Funkadelic though, I absolutely love their first 3 albums. I'm pretty lost getting into P-Funk/Parliament stuff...
Yeah, one of my best mates and his dad are huge Who fans. I just can't really get down with them. Dude, then with yours and my powers combined we can make the P-Funk complete. Is that you Lollipop man? This is the Starchild. (...however, if you never got into Parliament, that last line may be greek to you.)
mgeek wrote:I consider myself a Who fan, but they are a singles band... Not the case with the 'other' first concept album, SF Sorrow by The Pretty Things.
As for Sly- it's all about 'there's a riot going on' to me...it's a murky masterpiece!
That's an interesting way to think of it. That's how i am with Led Zeppelin; some singles or riffs, here or there but not enough to get a t-shirt or album.

Don't know The Pretty Things. I know the Dirty Pretty Things, but i'm assuming that is a very different group and era.
PorkyPrimeCut wrote: I feel exactly the same way about The Rolling Stones (ducks for cover!)
Man, that felt good to read from somebody else's pixels. My mate and his dad are also huge Rolling Stones fans. I just can't get into them, do not get the appeal. I like them more than i like Zeppelin, but that's not saying much.
Jesus