63 Sherwood Green Jazzmaster at Gruhns

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
zhivago
Mods
Mods

Re: 63 Sherwood Green Jazzmaster at Gruhns

Post by zhivago » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:06 pm

FEXII wrote:
zhivago wrote:

Yeah, the listing is not there anymore...looks sold...I did save the photos, yes
Good work. I think it was worth the money.

No probs! :)
Resident Spartan.

thedude99
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thedude99 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:42 pm

The buyer's instagram account reverend_guitar_man

Apparently it had a hairline crack in the headstock and has had a refret.

fendercollection
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fendercollection » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:35 pm

Yeah, I saw the guitar a few weeks before it was listed. I pointed out the fact that it had been refretted and had a headstock crack on Instagram. It's a rare color and I can understand the price if someone really wants a Sherwood Green Jazzmaster

bencrit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bencrit » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:58 pm

I'm the one who just bought this. Has a couple issues, reinstalled original pots and "hairline" tuner crack across several tuners on the back only) but pretty minor for me given the rarity of the color.its also a one owner guitar on consignment from the original owner (or so I was told).

Custom color Jazzmasters have really been trending up in price. I actually feel this is a steal at 11.5. The last several rarer custom colors JMs have been priced around 15k and sold like lightening. I'm not going to miss out by helming and hawing over the "issues". Been there before and missed out on some beauties.

But time will tell, and I plan to hang on to this one. I think I might name it the "Kermitcaster" :)

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:08 pm

Excellent news!! 8)

Please post more photos when you can...I cannot have enough of Sherwood Green, ever!! :-*
Resident Spartan.

bencrit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bencrit » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:11 pm

I'll definitely get lots of pics up. Just need to figure out how to do that from my iPhone on this forum...

Cheers!

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:55 pm

bencrit wrote:I'll definitely get lots of pics up. Just need to figure out how to do that from my iPhone on this forum...

Cheers!

Just get a free Photobucket account and upload the photos to it, then copy the links and paste them in this thread.

If you have any problems, PM me and I'll help you out :)
Resident Spartan.

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Mon May 01, 2017 12:24 am

Wow, a favourite colour of mine for sure. I almost bought the CME one a couple of months ago, it was surprisingly one of the slowest to sell. I was negotiating on it for 8k..That one eventuall sold for $8500. But if you really want one and you think the price is too high..the old adage 'find another one then' applies to his kind of guitar.

Funny back in the day I used to come across sherwood green Jaguars quite a bit, I turned one down for £700, I bought the same guys fiesta red jag and Olympic white XII for £700 each instead! Guy had a lovely place in Golden Square and suite of custom colours at £700 each. And also in 1990's I was going to buy Johnny Marr's original sherwood green jaguar for £1400 which was hanging in New Kings Road..but then decided it was too much of a premium for being 'name' owned.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon May 01, 2017 1:35 am

eggwheat wrote: Guy had a lovely place in Golden Square and suite of custom colours at £700 each.

You mean in Soho? I used to work at an agency in Golden Square about 4-5 years ago or so, and there was a music shop a few doors away that actually crossed down during my time working in the area.

I remember going in there on the last day and it was mostly drum bits and old brass stuff that it sold at the time. Maybe this was the same shop? It looked really old-school inside :)
Resident Spartan.

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Mon May 01, 2017 1:53 am

Yeh in Soho, but wasn't a shop just a private ad in the back of the Melody Maker iirc.. Footes the ancient
Drum shop was in Golden Square for decades..and it did close and move at some point. Could that be the shop you remember?

FrankRay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FrankRay » Mon May 01, 2017 2:15 am

There was an old antique shop called Aspidistra in Bath in the 80s, sold mainly books, run by a really ditzy old american guy. I used to go in regularly. One day he said, 'I have a guitar you might be interested in for £80' and showed me a sherwood green Jag. As I was staring at it, wondering whether or not I could afford it, someone else just walked in off the street and bought it straight, no questions.
I've been regretting that one for years ;D

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon May 01, 2017 3:33 am

eggwheat wrote:Yeh in Soho, but wasn't a shop just a private ad in the back of the Melody Maker iirc.. Footes the ancient
Drum shop was in Golden Square for decades..and it did close and move at some point. Could that be the shop you remember?

Aha! I think you are right...that's probably the shop I am remembering...thanks for clearing this one up :)
Resident Spartan.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon May 01, 2017 3:34 am

FrankRay wrote:There was an old antique shop called Aspidistra in Bath in the 80s, sold mainly books, run by a really ditzy old american guy. I used to go in regularly. One day he said, 'I have a guitar you might be interested in for £80' and showed me a sherwood green Jag. As I was staring at it, wondering whether or not I could afford it, someone else just walked in off the street and bought it straight, no questions.
I've been regretting that one for years

:o :o :o :o :o
Resident Spartan.

bencrit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bencrit » Mon May 01, 2017 6:21 am

eggwheat wrote:Wow, a favourite colour of mine for sure. I almost bought the CME one a couple of months ago, it was surprisingly one of the slowest to sell. I was negotiating on it for 8k..That one eventuall sold for $8500. But if you really want one and you think the price is too high..the old adage 'find another one then' applies to his kind of guitar.

Funny back in the day I used to come across sherwood green Jaguars quite a bit, I turned one down for £700, I bought the same guys fiesta red jag and Olympic white XII for £700 each instead! Guy had a lovely place in Golden Square and suite of custom colours at £700 each. And also in 1990's I was going to buy Johnny Marr's original sherwood green jaguar for £1400 which was hanging in New Kings Road..but then decided it was too much of a premium for being 'name' owned.
Yes that CME one was on my radar too. I hemmed and hawed about some of those because of some of their "issues" and then they were gone! That one was a 65 with a transition logo, which for me is less desirable than the earlier ones. 3k more for a totally pre-cbs example is just fine for me.

I have followed the offset market for some time, and have come to the realization that i want to buy these rarer custom color instruments I'm going to have to pony up for them. I don't think they're going to get any cheaper :-). Several years ago it seemed unimaginable that any offset would sell for more than 10 K. But markets change! Wish I had got in the game in the early 90s when these were still really affordable.

memeow
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by memeow » Mon May 01, 2017 12:14 pm

Congrats it's a super nice jm