HELP on an abused Mustang

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
OSGTemp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: HELP on an abused Mustang

Post by OSGTemp » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:33 pm

"It's super light and the neck feels just right."

That could be just about any late 60's or early 1970's mustang. Sounds like you will buy it anyway, but I wouldn't recommend 800 down on such a piece of shit would be worth it, as you say its been abused, missing bridge and who knows what. Its not like its an abused 1954 or something, its 1975

I picked up a 72 sunburst late last year for 1200 so I don't know if a 400 dollar difference is that much of a stretch to get something a bit nicer. I really do think that because the mint stuff is so unrealistically high in pricing, people are now entertaining spending good money on stuff, that is frankly parts or trash.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:37 pm

I guess I'm the only one thinking that this is a pretty bad deal? Have Mustangs really gone that much up in price? I wouldn't pay $800 for this very quickly. You can spend maybe a little bit more to get a lot more. I guess if you are dying for a vintage Mustang, but your cap is this amount, this is what you get... but I'd hold out. I'm not in love with this guitar.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:06 pm

I'm inclined to agree with Larry, although I'm a little out of touch with the vintage Mustang market.

I'd imagine you could wait a little longer, or pay a little more, and find something better.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:12 am

Larry Mal wrote:I guess I'm the only one thinking that this is a pretty bad deal? Have Mustangs really gone that much up in price? I wouldn't pay $800 for this very quickly. You can spend maybe a little bit more to get a lot more. I guess if you are dying for a vintage Mustang, but your cap is this amount, this is what you get... but I'd hold out. I'm not in love with this guitar.
You're not the only one. I didn't pay much more than this for one of my 'mod-60's Mustangs, and it's in far better condition. This guitar in this condition shouldn't fetch that much.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Groovy Tunes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Groovy Tunes » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:48 am

I'm 50/50 on getting it or moving on.

If all of the 70s Mustangs play like this one, I'm moving on. However, that guitar felt so excellent that I'm nervous that I will be missing out. I've played 60s mustangs and music masters, but never any seventies. I really like the neck in the seventies. Also, I hear that seventies mustangs were heavier, but directly after playing other sixties mustangs, this 70s mustang was just as light.

And I could save $700 bucks on this guitar if I didnt pick up the all original 1975 black on black mustang I found on another site online. It's just that I haven't played that guitar, because it's in California, but I have played this Mustang, because it's in my local shop, and I am worried they won't play the same.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:59 am

Mustangs have went up in price and are steadily climbing. Follow the trend of their brothers the JM and jag

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:18 am

Groovy Tunes wrote:I'm 50/50 on getting it or moving on.

If all of the 70s Mustangs play like this one, I'm moving on. However, that guitar felt so excellent that I'm nervous that I will be missing out. I've played 60s mustangs and music masters, but never any seventies. I really like the neck in the seventies. Also, I hear that seventies mustangs were heavier, but directly after playing other sixties mustangs, this 70s mustang was just as light.

And I could save $700 bucks on this guitar if I didnt pick up the all original 1975 black on black mustang I found on another site online. It's just that I haven't played that guitar, because it's in California, but I have played this Mustang, because it's in my local shop, and I am worried they won't play the same.
Well, I do place a premium on having a guitar that I've connected with. If I can try a guitar and it has "it", I don't mind paying a bit more because I know I love it. So there's a difference between what's an "objectively good price" for a Mustang of this age and condition, and what the guitar is worth to you personally. It's an $800 Mustang, not a $25k strat - if you think you'll love it and play it for years and get enjoyment out of it, it doesn't matter (to me) if it's a couple hundred bucks more than a "good deal". However, if there's a realistic chance of needing to sell it sometime soon for whatever reason, it's always nicer to have gotten a good deal so that you can get your money back out of it.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:02 pm

Get this thing and get it refined immediately. You're in Nashville, maybe Danocaster will do it. It was a good player for sure. Reminded me of my old 75 which I regret getting rid of. I know it's poly but its worth a shot. If not, i'm sure there are plenty of good refin people around there to take the job.

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:14 pm

Personally, at $800 I'd run, something better would turn up locally or online if you give it enough time.

BUT, you have played it, and it plays well. Not to mention you have done your homework and know exactly what it is. If you can get the seller down on price ( > $700) I'd say go for it.

My stang was disturbingly clean, and after playing it for awhile I knew why. It looked like it had never been setup and lived in someone's closet for 40 years. It needed help to get it playing its best (new bridge and full setup). Now it's great, but not everyone knows how to setup their own guitars and has a couple aftermarket bridges hanging around their toolbox. The similar California stang may be cleaner and all original, but it could also be a dud.

Personally, I'd take a beat to heck guitar (as long as there are no major issues) over a case queen any day, not just because they are cheaper, but because there was a reason they were played so much. Just make sure you don't pay as much as you would for a pristine example.

EDIT: I just looked at the crazy prices on Reverb. 1) I wish I'd bought the couple other Mustangs that I've seen pop up sub $1000 locally last year and 2) the price isn't horrible.

Groovy Tunes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Groovy Tunes » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:31 am

Thank you all. I think I am going to move on and keep looking. I am happy I listened to you guys. I think I will wait until a better offer comes around and one that is a bit nicer, although, I have been wanting a mustang for a long time.

Groovy Tunes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Groovy Tunes » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:42 pm

So I went back to Carter's Vintage Guitar shop with another 1976 mustang of my friend's and played the 1966 Musicmaster that they already had to compare that Black Mustang that I was interested in getting with - plus - right before I went to Carter's, I played a nearly perfect condition 1971 Competition Stripe model over at Gruhn's. So I then had a very accurate idea of Fender Mustangs and how they felt by that point. Not by surprise, I found that the medium/ low string action, body contours, weight, and necks of the '75 and '71 felt much more ergonomically pleasing, however, the '75 had a little bit fatter sound and the neck was worn down like an old baseball glove (especially around the edges) and it just felt more comfortable. When playing that guitar, I could feel it just as much as I could hear it, and I don't think I've connected with a guitar like that ever mostly because, until now, I admittedly picked up and bought guitars based off looks. But that 1975 Mustang was the best playing one and had the best sounding pickups out of all of them, plus it was the only one that didn't crackle and pop when I switched the pickup settings.

So there you have it, I ended up getting the guitar at the end of the day, and it has been absolutely fenominal.
Just thought I'd let you guys know.

hardtail01
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hardtail01 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:27 pm

I think you made the right call. If it speaks to you, you have to listen.