Jazzmaster59 need your help

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
steinbernd
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Jazzmaster59 need your help

Post by steinbernd » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:42 am

Hello,

I own this Jazzmaster from 59 and hope that you can help me.

The Pickguard the toggleswitch and some of the wires are not original.

The Pots and the rest of the electronic seem to be original for me.

Also the neck with the slapboard, it has no neckdate what can be normal for this period.

In the past there was a third pickup inside but this was allready repaired by the pre-owner of this guitar.

But what do you think about the pickups??

I´m not shure of what is original and what is new on this Jazzy.

What do you think about it?

https://goo.gl/photos/ueXgyzaT7kcW8wsSA

Thanks
Last edited by steinbernd on Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

PixMix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jazzmaster59 need your help

Post by PixMix » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:46 am

Do you know why is the neck pocket painted? Also, is the neck shim stuck in that black paint?

Axolotl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Axolotl » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:52 am

Nice 59!! It looks legit and the body was well repaired.

I'm pretty sure it is a refin. The finish looks too new and the absence of "tan marks" or color change under the guard would indicate this is the case. It looks like t was refinished after repairing the routing. The neck pocket shows some non original paint maybe from a prior refinish?

Pickup covers are new IMHO as they look too white and shiny.

Not sure about the pickups themselves. They look too new and clean. But the redder copper wire would be consistent with 59 pups. Maybe a better pic of the bobbins will tell more. What is that have tape around the poles? I'd probably try to take that off.

I'd get a couple of shield plates for the pickups. They are cheap, and it's a 59, it deserves it:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FENDER-Jazzmast ... Sw2gxYyKli

Also in the first pic the fretboard looks a bit shiny, like they sprayed some lacquer over, could that be the case?

Enjoy it. 59s are awesome.

steinbernd
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by steinbernd » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:11 am

Hi,

I don´t know what happened to the neckpocket but it looks like it is oversprayed and the shim is fixed with this paint.

The frets look like they are original, and the slapboard looks that shiny because I had just put some oil on it.

The tape is old an probably put on to hold the pics in place with the covers.

They sound very different to my 65 jazzy. The sound is much rounder with more bass and not as sparkely as the 65 pics.

That´s why I think they are original?!
Last edited by steinbernd on Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Axolotl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Axolotl » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:04 am

steinbernd wrote:
They sound very different to my 65 jazzy. The sound is much rounder with more bass and not as sparkely as the 65 pics.

That´s why I think they are original?!
If that's the case, they may be original indeed! I have a 59 myself and the pickups sound just like you describe them. If your pickups were AVRI or SD they would have a lot more treble and bite.

Good to hear that the fretboard was not lacquered over.

Not sure about the frets, they do look bigger than originals in the pics. But hey, if the job was well done, nothing to worry about. She's a beauty!

steinbernd
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by steinbernd » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:43 am

Hello again,

Today I have made some new photos from the pickups to see some more details for a better dating.

The neck pu has 8,5k and the neck has 7,7kohms measured with a fluke mutimeter.

There are also some photos from one Tuner and inside the pu covers.

https://goo.gl/photos/wwKJR1913LyjP1jB9

Again the same question?

What do you think about the pickups and tuners of this 59Jazzy?

Do you have an idea where I can get a cool pickguard for this Jazzy? I think the original parts are hard to find...

Thank you all for your help!

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:47 am

The tuner looks original to me (although it's been a while since I did this kind of detective work). I've also got a '59 Jazzmaster & they look to have all the same hallmarks.
The same can be said for the covers. They seem to have a very similar patina - a kind of yellowed tide mark around where they'd meet the pickguard.
As to the guard, from first glance it looks like you have a refinned '59 body (9 screw holes) so you'll need an anodised gold guard if you want to go period correct. Originals are pretty rare & usually expensive when they come up in auction. Maybe look at Spitfire guards and see if he's making 9-hole tort guards. His stuff is as close to the original tort as you can get. Totally worth the money, IMHO.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.