NGD: 1959 Jazzmaster (and the hard road to get there)

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
bencrit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD: 1959 Jazzmaster (and the hard road to get there)

Post by bencrit » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:54 pm

Crshngdstryr wrote:
bencrit wrote:I'd agree with hiwatt bob above. I can't say for certain, but the "crack" you describe it fairly common on vintage JMs. In fact, most of the ones I've owned have a small crack near one of the screw holes.

I can understand your complaint about wanting things disclosed. I'd probably ask for a partial refund for tha, but I wouldn't sweat it to much.

My nicest sounding JM is a mid-59 with a tort guard. Hope you enjoy the new one!
Totally man. They aren't huge issues, but when you're dropping $$$ on stuff, you want the shop to be completely open about everything. I didn't get it from Grandma Millie down the road who wouldn't know one way or the other. Maybe it's my fault for not asking enough questions, but either way, I'd rather spend a little extra and get something with no issues. The 59 got here today and it's great. Body date of 8/59, 100% original and insanely clean. It sounds completely different from the 63. Much clearer and cleaner sounding. The 63 was a lot hotter. The 63 neck was slightly fuller which I really liked. But the 59 neck carve is great too.

And I actually ran across a dude on instagram who used to own my 59. He said he was the first person to open the guitar up. He found it on eBay from some old guy in the middle of Tennessee. Pretty cool I was able to get some of the history on this one.

By the way, this forum has been amazing. Love seeing all your guys' stuff!
I've owned a 63 as well, and I agree with everything you said about the differences between the years.

I think you are right to complain to the shop about the issues you noted, just to be clear.

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:26 am

Crshngdstryr wrote:
And I actually ran across a dude on instagram who used to own my 59. He said he was the first person to open the guitar up. He found it on eBay from some old guy in the middle of Tennessee. Pretty cool I was able to get some of the history on this one.

Postby eggwheat » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:17 pm
Here it is: http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... &p=1298310

Yeh I said a few posts back on this thread; he is on here...check out the thread to see when your '59 was up for trade on here previously.

Crshngdstryr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Crshngdstryr » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:22 am

eggwheat wrote:
Crshngdstryr wrote:

Yeh I said a few posts back on this thread; he is on here...check out the thread to see when your '59 was up for trade on here previously.
I can't get the link to work, but the guy told me that he got rid of this one to get a GG. Worked out for me!

Took the 63 to another local shop that specializes in buying and selling used gear, consigned it $1000 more than what I paid for it. Some guy is going to pick it up today. So it all worked out.

Crshngdstryr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Crshngdstryr » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:28 am

Here are some additional pics. A bunch of the pics are from that guy's IG. I was really surprised at how clean everything is. No issues at all (a little bridge buzz, but that has never bothered me, and can be fixed with a mastery or staytrem). Hopefully the pics work this time.

http://m.imgur.com/9j5JyxZ,hZ7S6kr,3ltP ... TX,MTFBSxB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:38 am

Crshngdstryr wrote:
eggwheat wrote:
Crshngdstryr wrote:

I can't get the link to work, but the guy told me that he got rid of this one to get a GG. Worked out for me!

Took the 63 to another local shop that specializes in buying and selling used gear, consigned it $1000 more than what I paid for it. Some guy is going to pick it up today. So it all worked out.
Ahh yeh...you dont have access to the for sale page..sorry I forgot..

Here is a link to the photos shown on there: http://s525.photobucket.com/user/blake4 ... l.png.html