Post your #1 vintage offset!

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
takeittothemall
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Post your #1 vintage offset!

Post by takeittothemall » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:02 pm

kosmonautmayhem wrote:^ Beautiful. How are you liking it?
It took a few days to adjust, but now I am really digging it. It's a got a really meaty sound that I love from a Jazzmaster. I was originally thinking that I would flip it to help work my way into a slab board model, but it sounds and feels so dang good. After my last 65, I am enjoying how dark the burst and guard are.

The new one has a Mastery on there currently, which I tend to think makes it feel a little stiff. The original bridge was lacking three height adjustment screws. As soon as those arrive, I will get the original bridge on there and should be able to judge conclusively. My only complaint is that it's really clean. I loved how dinged up my old 65 was.

In short, expectations exceeded thus far.
great OSG deals with: ncarey13, skip.
great TGP deals with: drjoel, 12strings, Tim P, angrybandnerd, echobaseone, guitarpkr67, jcampbell331

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:38 pm

takeittothemall wrote:
kosmonautmayhem wrote:^ Beautiful. How are you liking it?
It took a few days to adjust, but now I am really digging it. It's a got a really meaty sound that I love from a Jazzmaster. I was originally thinking that I would flip it to help work my way into a slab board model, but it sounds and feels so dang good. After my last 65, I am enjoying how dark the burst and guard are.

The new one has a Mastery on there currently, which I tend to think makes it feel a little stiff. The original bridge was lacking three height adjustment screws. As soon as those arrive, I will get the original bridge on there and should be able to judge conclusively. My only complaint is that it's really clean. I loved how dinged up my old 65 was.

In short, expectations exceeded thus far.
Thats great! I made a similar move. My current '64 that I've had for a number of years now came from a trade of my '66 D+B. I liked the 66 but it was never quite as good as I hoped for. Pickups sorta lacked, guard was really bright red and texture-less and the burst was almost comical side by side with an older one. The 64 I have has killed all gas for JMs and damn near all other guitars too. Occasionally I get the urge to check out earlier ones but then I play mine... It just checks all the boxes for me.

Love the grey bobbins too. As long as they're in the 8k range they'll sound pretty spectacular. Black bobbins are awesome, yes. But I've got nothing but good things to say about the greys. Not better just different, ime.
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:35 am

My one and only vintage is my blue sparkle (special order/promotional) Fender '65 Mustang:

The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:51 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Oh my... my pants.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Kinx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kinx » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:51 am

I love my '72 jazzmaster to death ! Everything about it is stock, love the wear. This thing was well-loved and saw lot of use, but frets are still very nice :) I have never seen 70s Jazzmaster like this before in person. I am thinking about putting mastery bridge in it just for the comfort and hassle-free use on the road, but I managed to set it up almost rattle free recently. I am taking it to a gig for the first time on friday, can't wait

I got it from a gentleman who purchased it in Boston in early seventies, from where he smuggled it back to Czechoslovakia. He was told by the store clerk that it is '62 and believed it pretty much until he sold it to me.
Check out my band, The Atavists ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG-HZtrljMg

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:12 am

Poly wear is rare. Cool