Spray painted edges on a '61 Jazzmaster?

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Crshngdstryr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Spray painted edges on a '61 Jazzmaster?

Post by Crshngdstryr » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:14 am

Hey all,

So I finally received my 61 jazzmaster today and everything looks like it checks out, with the exception of the fact that the edges were spray painted black at some point. You can very clearly see the tape line from when the painting was done. Normally I wouldn't care all that much, but this one wasn't cheap. This wasn't disclosed and it was not visible in the pictures posted by the shop online.

http://m.imgur.com/vP1N5Zb,7oqQfg4,rVW8 ... 19,WuTJfF4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does this hurt the value of the guitar at all? Would you guys keep it or return it? Thanks!

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Spray painted edges on a '61 Jazzmaster?

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:23 am

Crshngdstryr wrote:Hey all,

So I finally received my 61 jazzmaster today and everything looks like it checks out, with the exception of the fact that the edges were spray painted black at some point. You can very clearly see the tape line from when the painting was done. Normally I wouldn't care all that much, but this one wasn't cheap. This wasn't disclosed and it was not visible in the pictures posted by the shop online.

http://m.imgur.com/vP1N5Zb,7oqQfg4,rVW8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 19,WuTJfF4

Does this hurt the value of the guitar at all? Would you guys keep it or return it? Thanks!
I think touch-up paint has to devalue a vintage guitar. If you're happy with it otherwise and would rather keep it I would think some kind of discount is in order.

blake480
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blake480 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:01 am

Totally depends on how much you paid. Is the rest of the finish original? Have you done the black light test on it? I'd shoot it with a black light and see which parts or showing bright avocado green. But it does appear to be a bad touch up job. If you paid a premium for it, I'd say return it. If it was a semi good deal, and you're in love with it. I'd keep it.

Crshngdstryr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Crshngdstryr » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:58 am

Thanks guys. I paid $5k for it. I definitely would not have bought it at that price had I known. What kind of discount would be fair? I always thought the rule of thumb is 50% off of value for any kind of refin. Would you say that applies here?

I dont have a black light, but everything else on this appears to be straight. All the electronics and plastic parts seems original, and it sounds good. However, unless I get a crazy discount, I'm probably gonna have to let this one go. I have been looking for a perfect all-original JM for a while, so spending $5k on a vintage '61 that's been spray painted seems kind of ridiculous.

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:02 am

Thats a bummer. Agree with the above either return if totally unhappy or try to work out a deal if it doesn't bother you and is still an amazing guitar to play.

How do you like other than the paint issue?
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

Crshngdstryr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Crshngdstryr » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:15 am

I only had a chance to play it for a few minutes, but it seems pretty legit. Doesn't appear to have any other issues. Sounds/feels very similar to my 63. I'm supposed to hop on the phone with the shop this afternoon, so I'll see what they say. I think if they keep the price at anything over $4k, I'll probably return it and grab something else. $5k is a lot to drop on a guitar that isn't completely straight.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:25 am

Crshngdstryr wrote:What kind of discount would be fair? I always thought the rule of thumb is 50% off of value for any kind of refin. Would you say that applies here?
Don't know, but I'd be amazed if the shop would agree to that. I guess you've set the bar at $1k off minimum. No idea if that will fly either, but good luck getting it if that'll satisfy you.

Crshngdstryr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Crshngdstryr » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:44 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Crshngdstryr wrote:What kind of discount would be fair? I always thought the rule of thumb is 50% off of value for any kind of refin. Would you say that applies here?
Don't know, but I'd be amazed if the shop would agree to that. I guess you've set the bar at $1k off minimum. No idea if that will fly either, but good luck getting it if that'll satisfy you.
I agree, it'd be a tough sell, but I'll just wait and see. I'm mostly just disappointed that the shop failed to disclose a very obvious thing like that. I could have saved myself and the shop the time and hassle by just passing on it from the beginning. Maybe it's just me, but paying $5k for a guitar that is covered in spray paint seems steep, especially when I can get one that isn't painted for roughly the same price.

Crshngdstryr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Crshngdstryr » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:55 am

Well, just got off the phone with the shop. They said they'd knock it down to $4300, which is $1000 lower than what I paid. So what say you wise folks of OSG? Is a '61, all original with original case, that has some spray painted edges on the back for $4300 fair? Would you keep it or let this one go? Here are some photos of the rest of the guitar if you're interested. http://m.imgur.com/a/DX62V" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I'm really torn!

It looks like the worst is on the back belly cut and around down to the bottom.

terminalvertigo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by terminalvertigo » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:21 am

do you love it? answer that question, and you will know what to do! 8)
GoodDeals:Jaguar018-Skip-Scotty66-Noirengineer-Panoramic-Soundhack-Tribi9-Stereordinary-Dug-Ginnungagap-Loomer-Eupat-FenderBob-Franco-AWSchmit-PeterHerman-TweedleDee-Diceman-Prospect-Danocaster-Glimmertwin-Jetset-Staytuned-ukfuzz-Aen-Atomicmassunit-MT,etc

painted wood
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by painted wood » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:45 pm

I would think the value as it is now is $3,500. If it was parted out it may fetch around $4k. Those '61 necks are desirable as they are full in the hand but not too fat.... just right. I have a '61 body/head refin. and it is the best feeling in my hand over my '62 and '63.

So I think paying an extra $800 to get a '61 that is all matching (if it indeed is under the guard) is worth the extra $300-$800 to me. If you can get them down to $4,000, I think you'd be better off.

If you can gently polish off the black overspray, you could restore the body and get the oversprayed black off... it would just stay in the dings and where the wood shows.

A pro could probably restore the black overspray off the body for you, but it may cost you a couple hundred...another reason that $4k would be a better price. can you feel the black edge and does it seem like there was no clear sprayed on the whole thing to cover over the black overspray?

If you really wanted a no issues baby, I'd return it and not settle. $4k is a lot. Do you have the option to return it?

Crshngdstryr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Crshngdstryr » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:07 pm

painted wood wrote:I would think the value as it is now is $3,500. If it was parted out it may fetch around $4k. Those '61 necks are desirable as they are full in the hand but not too fat.... just right. I have a '61 body/head refin. and it is the best feeling in my hand over my '62 and '63.

So I think paying an extra $800 to get a '61 that is all matching (if it indeed is under the guard) is worth the extra $300-$800 to me. If you can get them down to $4,000, I think you'd be better off.

If you can gently polish off the black overspray, you could restore the body and get the oversprayed black off... it would just stay in the dings and where the wood shows.

A pro could probably restore the black overspray off the body for you, but it may cost you a couple hundred...another reason that $4k would be a better price. can you feel the black edge and does it seem like there was no clear sprayed on the whole thing to cover over the black overspray?

If you really wanted a no issues baby, I'd return it and not settle. $4k is a lot. Do you have the option to return it?
Yeah, they gave me until tomorrow to decide whether to keep it for $4300 or to return it. I can feel the edge of the paint job, so there's no overspray, but I can tell it's definitely been on there a while. I've looked at it thoroughly and see that its just on the top belly cut and the bottom of the guitar, but only on the back. The front is untouched. But I am definitely leaning towards grabbing something without any issues. If I'm going to drop that kind of money on a guitar, I probably would rather spend the extra $500-1000 for something completely straight. I don't really want to go through the hassle of paying someone to remove it.

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:11 pm

I would just return it. It's a mess. And to be honest the black edge respray is obvious on the front too . You'd have a really tough job removing it without destroying that delicate finish.

Crshngdstryr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Crshngdstryr » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:22 pm

eggwheat wrote:I would just return it. It's a mess. And to be honest the black edge respray is obvious on the front too . You'd have a really tough job removing it without destroying that delicate finish.
Thanks. Yes, I think I agree. Oh well. Now I can keep guitar shopping!!

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:34 pm

Crshngdstryr wrote:
eggwheat wrote:I would just return it. It's a mess. And to be honest the black edge respray is obvious on the front too . You'd have a really tough job removing it without destroying that delicate finish.
Thanks. Yes, I think I agree. Oh well. Now I can keep guitar shopping!!
Yeh good move..you'd never have bought it if you'd known..I'm sure something else that's spot on will come up.