Spray painted edges on a '61 Jazzmaster?

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Crshngdstryr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Spray painted edges on a '61 Jazzmaster?

Post by Crshngdstryr » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:01 pm

Hiwatt Bob wrote:definitely the right move. it's stupid that paint plays such a huge role in how vintage guitars are valued--but that's the market. pretty sketch that they didn't disclose that--hopefully they reimbursed you for the shipping.
Yeah! Honestly, if I had picked it up for like $2k, I wouldn't have cared at all. But at $5k, that guitar better be damn near perfect. The fact that the shop didn't disclose it was a huge red flag, because either they didn't disclose it on purpose, or they just didn't do a thorough enough job. If it's the latter, then who knows what else was not correct on it.

But yeah, the paint job was one of the worst I've ever seen. Literally someone taped the guitar to protect the lighter colored paint, and just sprayed on a thick layer of black paint on the edges. You could feel the line between original finish and the spray paint.

Hiwatt Bob
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Hiwatt Bob » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:20 pm

Probably seemed like a good idea at the time?

Just be glad it's was something obvious enough that you caught it. I once got a '65 Sg special off Craigslist for a steal $1400. Here I thought I got a $3500 guitar for a steal. Well, when I traded it toward another guitar, the store black lighted it and sure enough, there were 2 repaired cracks that were nearly impossible to see with the naked eye, but sure enough you could see the repair and pro touch ups. I was actually kind of lucky to get $2k trade in value. Still made out on it, but I invested in a black light after that.

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:30 am

I'm with Hiwatt Bob on that ... I have had a few 'issues' guitars over the years, but more often than not I've identified them first and factored that in to the price I've paid. I love headstock repairs on guitars ... at a 50% discount you get a guitar that is probably well repaired and unlikely to ever cause you any issues. I've had a few down the years and I've never once had an issue with a repair causing problems in terms of tuning stability, stability of the neck ... whatever.

But ... it's got to be factored in to the price.

Crshngdstryr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Crshngdstryr » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:33 am

So just to give everyone an update, Miami Vintage Guitars promptly refunded my money. So I'm happy that is taken care of. My quest for the "one" continues...

Crshngdstryr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Crshngdstryr » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:40 am

One more update. Talked to the "shop" owner. He apologized, but one thing he said that stuck out was that selling vintage stuff is his hobby, not a business. He is a doctor. So ALWAYS BE CAREFUL WHO YOURE BUYING FROM. I thought they were a brick and mortar shop (there's even a website!), but they're apparently not. Lesson learned: do your homework before dropping a ton of money on something.

You all saved me from talking myself into keeping that turd, so thank you!

mcjt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcjt » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:23 am

true. but i know a Montreal dentist who used to sell incredible vintage guitars to the Stones, Clapton, etc.
He even dabbled in repro vintage replacement parts back in the 80's!
so you never know!
You're fortunate but you chose the right thing to do. good luck!