original shell pink

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: original shell pink

Post by Embenny » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:39 pm

scottT wrote:
OSGTemp wrote:never seen the original color on anything.

This is actually the only other vintage Fender in Shell Pink that I know of. A '61 Jazz Bass is rare enough, but this must be one of a kind.

And he stickered it up.
Flea had the custom shop recreate the '61 so that he wouldn't have to take it touring...I sincerely doubt that is the original. If he cared enough about it to leave it at home and tour with a replica, I somehow doubt he would plaster the original nitro with stickers.

Then again, he's one weird dude, so who knows.

Edit: found an article claiming it's the original. I still find that hard to believe.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

scottT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by scottT » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:24 pm

Yeah, the original as seen here has the screw holes below the bridge pickup where the string mutes once were (string mutes being an early feature).

Enzo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Enzo » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:30 am

I saw (or should I say experienced?) flea playing his shell pink Fender bass in Austin back in October. Waited in front of the stage since that morning and was really lucky to be around 30 feet away from him by the time RHCP played that evening.

If he plays a fender CS replica live, it looks like a closer replica than any other custom shop fender I’ve seen so far. I wonder how he got ahold of the original. However it was, I’m glad he has it!

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:50 am

That JM is the business.

aliendawg
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aliendawg » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:25 pm

Enzo wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:30 am
I saw (or should I say experienced?) flea playing his shell pink Fender bass in Austin back in October. Waited in front of the stage since that morning and was really lucky to be around 30 feet away from him by the time RHCP played that evening.

If he plays a fender CS replica live, it looks like a closer replica than any other custom shop fender I’ve seen so far. I wonder how he got ahold of the original. However it was, I’m glad he has it!
You won't believe the story

http://www.jfeffects.com.br/2017/09/dav ... -pink.html

Dave, I was wondering about that story you mentioned, of how you helped Flea get his Fender Jazz Bass, and how it was a crazy one. I'd love to know it, can you tell me?

Dave Lee: "Kind of a long story.

Flea had somehow released on social media that he was looking for an old Fender Jazz Bass. Soon after, we were touring Australia. This guy shows up at the backstage door of one of the shows in Australia with a guitar case. Says he has a Jazz Bass for Flea. I don't want to be cruel, but the guy was somewhat "odd". Unusually soft spoken. And "different". But nice. He said he had bought this rare '61 Jazz Bass from a reputable dealer in Seattle (a dealer I was familiar with). He showed me the paperwork. I don't remember the exact price, but it was very expensive. I seem to recall well in excess of $20,000. I could tell right away it was the real deal.

I said, "You flew all the way to Australia to try to sell a bass to Flea?". He says "No. I just want to trade it for one of Flea's Modulus basses". I said "Do you realize Flea gets those basses for free, and you could just buy one for about 12 hundred dollars?". He said, "I don't care. I play in a band kind of like Gwar (yes, "Gwar") and this bass has the wrong sound. I want a Modulus that was Flea's. I'm also very rich. I started a website that I recently sold for millions of dollars. So the financial loss doesn't matter to me". Then he adds... "And can you give me backstage passes for the rest of these Australia shows?... as long as I'm here?"

I brought him and the bass to the dressing room. Flea obviously fell in love with the bass immediately. And although Flea had reservations about the deal because he felt like the guy wasn't getting a very good deal, the guy insisted. So. The guy took one of the Modulus basses and that was that.

He followed us around for the rest of that Australian leg. But kept to himself mostly. That's the story as I remember."
"With the resurgence of offsets it seems like we're also seeing a resurgence of people who don't know what to do with them" - 601210

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:16 pm

Luiz Spindola wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:25 pm

Dave, I was wondering about that story you mentioned, of how you helped Flea get his Fender Jazz Bass, and how it was a crazy one. I'd love to know it, can you tell me?

Dave Lee: "Kind of a long story.

Flea had somehow released on social media that he was looking for an old Fender Jazz Bass. Soon after, we were touring Australia. This guy shows up at the backstage door of one of the shows in Australia with a guitar case. Says he has a Jazz Bass for Flea. I don't want to be cruel, but the guy was somewhat "odd". Unusually soft spoken. And "different". But nice. He said he had bought this rare '61 Jazz Bass from a reputable dealer in Seattle (a dealer I was familiar with). He showed me the paperwork. I don't remember the exact price, but it was very expensive. I seem to recall well in excess of $20,000. I could tell right away it was the real deal.

I said, "You flew all the way to Australia to try to sell a bass to Flea?". He says "No. I just want to trade it for one of Flea's Modulus basses". I said "Do you realize Flea gets those basses for free, and you could just buy one for about 12 hundred dollars?". He said, "I don't care. I play in a band kind of like Gwar (yes, "Gwar") and this bass has the wrong sound. I want a Modulus that was Flea's. I'm also very rich. I started a website that I recently sold for millions of dollars. So the financial loss doesn't matter to me". Then he adds... "And can you give me backstage passes for the rest of these Australia shows?... as long as I'm here?"

I brought him and the bass to the dressing room. Flea obviously fell in love with the bass immediately. And although Flea had reservations about the deal because he felt like the guy wasn't getting a very good deal, the guy insisted. So. The guy took one of the Modulus basses and that was that.

He followed us around for the rest of that Australian leg. But kept to himself mostly. That's the story as I remember."
Typical Aussie, probably Sookwinder or Andy_tchp

:)

Nice looking guitar

aliendawg
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aliendawg » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:57 pm

windmill wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:16 pm

Nice looking guitar
Wait... Is that a joke or it really could've been those guys?
"With the resurgence of offsets it seems like we're also seeing a resurgence of people who don't know what to do with them" - 601210

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:15 pm

Luiz Spindola wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:57 pm
windmill wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:16 pm

Nice looking guitar
Wait... Is that a joke or it really could've been those guys?
Its a joke