NGD: 1964 Jaguar (Refin)

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Phatfrank
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: NGD: 1964 Jaguar (Refin)

Post by Phatfrank » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:24 am

Very nice indeed!!! And very similar to my '64:). Congrats - if it's anything like mine you're in for a treat.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:35 am

Good to hear that a coat of tinted lacquer could work. Food for thought.
Despot wrote:That's really nice cestlamort - great score!

Does it have that slightly full feeling neck? Sort of a well rounded C without being a boat neck? I've a '64 L series as well (also a refin - but nowhere near as pretty as yours!) - and the neck is perfect ... a nice full C shape. It's remarkably similar to the neck of my late '62 Jazzmaster (which is stamped Dec '62, so it could well be a '63). Nothing at all like the much skinnier '62 reissue necks.
Thanks! I feel pretty fortunate about being able to pick it up. (Both the opportunity and having saved up enough in the rock fund to make it happen).

The neck is a different shape/feel than the Thin Skin (not to mention the giant frets on the TS which I never liked). Very comfortable and feels "easy" to play. Inspiring, too, which is ultimately the reason we all muck around in dusty pawn shops and order $$ guitars unseen from dark corners of unknown music stores, right?

I'll give it a set up this weekend (at least change the strings and address the intonation, which is pretty off right now).

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:01 am

Beautiful! I have a white refin '63 Jag still awaiting re-assembly, I am mortally afraid of the rewiring job which awaits me.
dc wrote:"out there the Snow Queen is kidnapping boys" -- s. kilbey
8)
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:08 am

Jon, if you want me to send you a complete set of 10x8" colour blow ups of the wiring required and an easily understood instruction sheet, promising to only mention "don't burn the paint with the soldering iron" every second paragraph .... I can...

;)
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:00 am

The problem isn't getting the instructions or even doing the wiring, it's when everything is all together in the right places with lovely neat solder joints and the bloody thing still doesn't work .. which has happened to me three times now with my main JM. Oh well, I guess I didn't need to hear the neck pickup anyway.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:48 am

mezcalhead wrote:The problem isn't getting the instructions or even doing the wiring, it's when everything is all together in the right places with lovely neat solder joints and the bloody thing still doesn't work .. which has happened to me three times now with my main JM. Oh well, I guess I didn't need to hear the neck pickup anyway.
At least with a jaguar you can wire stuff up on the guitar itself - I swore I'd never rewire a jazzmaster after similar failures and thousands of pickguard screws only to discover that I'd screwed up somewhere along the way.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:17 am

except on a Jag who still have to fit the bridge & strings (with or without the guard) to truly work out whether the wiring is correct and sounds correct.

For me Leo just go a little bit too smart by half with all those earth leads connected to the brass plates/tubs.

The strat set up, is a much simpler way of doing it (one led needs to be connected to the trem unit claw).
Which means changing from one guard/pups to another guard/pups can take 10 minutes.

I am sure James will pipe up and tell me that the rick set up is even simpler ... but my response to that is "... but you're still just playing a rick ... ;) "
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:58 am

Are you loathsome tonight?

jimboyogi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jimboyogi » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:04 am

sookwinder wrote:except on a Jag who still have to fit the bridge & strings (with or without the guard) to truly work out whether the wiring is correct and sounds correct.

For me Leo just go a little bit too smart by half with all those earth leads connected to the brass plates/tubs.

The strat set up, is a much simpler way of doing it (one led needs to be connected to the trem unit claw).
Which means changing from one guard/pups to another guard/pups can take 10 minutes.

I am sure James will pipe up and tell me that the rick set up is even simpler ... but my response to that is "... but you're still just playing a rick ... "
Rics are dead simple. The other beauty of their easy-to-get-at wiring, is that when you put it back together, you then get to play a Ric!

Geoff, congrats on the Jag! Superb :w00t:

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:42 pm

shadowplay wrote:Oh well played Geoff, she's a pale beauty.

And in smoke-filled rooms of electric sound
A legend is built around
The Snow Queen

D
Thanks, David. I'm not familiar with them. I would never have gotten by the Looie katorze styling if not for you recommendation.
It's lovely enough that I'm considering breaking my long standing vow to never anthropomorphize these things (thanks to DC for the easy nickname). (I'll probably go back to the simple identifiers in a few weeks: "the white fender" or the like).

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:23 am

^^^
:D

I didn't know that was even a video, I just harvested the link. I bought that single because I knew the original but mainly because it had a barn owl on the sleeve.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:51 am

what? You didn't throw down $8k for that Burgundy Mist Jaguar at Thunder Road? You'd need a James Brown pimp suit to play it in public, but damn!

Actually I think it's the same BM Jag I've seen for sale in Seattle three times before and it goes up $2k each time with 3-4 years in between.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:24 am

fuzzjunkie wrote:what? You didn't throw down $8k for that Burgundy Mist Jaguar at Thunder Road? You'd need a James Brown pimp suit to play it in public, but damn!

Actually I think it's the same BM Jag I've seen for sale in Seattle three times before and it goes up $2k each time with 3-4 years in between.
Ha, nah. That seems more or less in line with the Offset Inflation Index (OII) over the last few years. (Note that the OII has been lagging behind the BLOOZ* curve but seems to be catching up).

I thought "that's a really nicely relic'ed thin skin" when I first saw the BMM jaguar on their wall.

* Buying Leo's Only Original guitarZ

Clipps
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Clipps » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:52 am

Wow ... :?
Nice job

NelsonInstruments
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NelsonInstruments » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:08 pm

The Carl Wilson model! I had one exactly like that around 15 years ago. It had the original headstock (but the logo was completely destroyed) and a poorly refinished body. I opted to have the whole thing restored. Man that was a great playing and sounding guitar.

I also picked up a white '63 shortly thereafter. For whatever reason that one never played or sounded quite as nice as the '64.

For some strange reason '64 seems to have been a great year for fenders. I've played very few dogs from '64.

Nice grab!!!