NGD: 1964 Fender Jazzmaster(now CAR)

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
otis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD: 1964 Fender Jazzmaster

Post by otis » Thu May 31, 2018 2:27 am

My Jazzmaster is back from Rexter, who did an amazing job!
I finally decided on a CAR finish. I know a lot of the members here don't like it, but I do!
The CAR has got a silver underlayer. It's a very complex color, the deepness depending on the amunt of layers of transparant car on a metallic undercoat. It turned out a bit darker than the one on my telecaster '64 reissue, but almost equals that of the '65 reissue Jaguar.
here's some pics. I'm currently looking for a white guard, so that the color will be more radient.
Let me know how you like it.

Maulden7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD: 1964 Fender Jazzmaster(now CAR)

Post by Maulden7 » Thu May 31, 2018 3:06 am

I finally decided on a CAR finish. I know a lot of the members here don't like it, but I do!
And so do I!

Looks like a nice job.

Thought about retaining the tort guard? I think it works well with a CAR finish & is a bit different from the usual white (if you asked Fender they would supply a tort guard on a new CAR guitar back in the 60's)

Jazzmastervsjaguar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jazzmastervsjaguar » Thu May 31, 2018 3:33 am

Yep, I agree the finish looks great keep the Tort!!

otis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by otis » Thu May 31, 2018 4:18 am

Maulden7 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 3:06 am
And so do I!

Looks like a nice job.

Thought about retaining the tort guard? I think it works well with a CAR finish & is a bit different from the usual white (if you asked Fender they would supply a tort guard on a new CAR guitar back in the 60's)
Thanks Maulden7 en JazzmastervsJaguar!
I Guess I might settle on this combo after all, and just get a repro white guard that's relicked a bit to match the plastic parts, so I can change it if I felt the need.
The color turned out pretty good, indeed.
Dave, do you see a lot of variation in deepness of CAR with the same undercoat? Since my 3 guitars in CAR graduate from lighter to darker I thought this might be the case, even with original finish Fenders?
Again, thanks for your help with the CAR color!

deeohgee
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by deeohgee » Thu May 31, 2018 4:41 am

That is a beautiful finish.

Does it make you want to play it more than before?

otis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by otis » Thu May 31, 2018 4:51 am

deeohgee wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 4:41 am
That is a beautiful finish.

Does it make you want to play it more than before?
I can't say I play it more than I used to, but it is a very busy time in scool right now.
Also,now I tend not to play guitar but focus on singing in my band.
I'll think of this again in some time; interesting thing to ask yourself.
On the other hand, it feels way nicer than when I first got it. The refret, the refinish and refinish of the neck (it had an ugly brown varnish on) surely make it feel a more substantial guitar.
Rexter did an incredible finish of the neck without loosing too much of the played-in feel of it.
again, very pleased he did what he did!

Maulden7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Maulden7 » Thu May 31, 2018 6:45 am

Dave, do you see a lot of variation in deepness of CAR with the same undercoat? Since my 3 guitars in CAR graduate from lighter to darker I thought this might be the case, even with original finish Fenders?
Again, thanks for your help with the CAR color!
No problem - glad to have been of help.

Variations in original CAR finish with the same undercoat? My goodness ... yes! They probably all started off the same (both with silver & gold undercoats) but then the amount of UV exposure determines what happens after that. I have some that don't look very different to your newly finished example, one that's faded almost to gold (but with a silver undercoat - a 64 Tele), & just about every shade that you can think of inbetween!

A 63 Jag with gold hardware (must have been an early example - silver undercoat) still carries a very deep red finish, but clearly has been round a few blocks in usage!

A few of the guitars have clearly been painted at least twice as the original job was obviously not considered to be good enough (not that unusual) but even this does not seem to prevent colour change.

With either undercoat the colour moves towards a goldy shade, & I wouldn't like to say for sure which undercoat provides the best long term colour stability. I've never been able to establish for certain why Fender changed from silver to gold undercoat circa 1965 - perhaps folk here have a view?

All my CAR Fenders are kept out, either on racks or wall hangers, but fortunately I have a room in the middle of the house that has no outside windows, so whatever shade each CAR painted guitar was when I bought it is still there.

Marc
Expat
Expat

Post by Marc » Thu May 31, 2018 7:59 am

Lovely!

Out of the vintage JMs I've previously owned my '64 was my favorite neck shape - slimmer than my '65s at the first five frets but gets a bit beefier further up. It was a nice shape as it had a bit of both worlds in the right places.

That's not a bad relic job - they haven't gone too mad on it. The worn neck might be original - that's how mine used to look. The only person who does relic finishes who does a realistic job on the back of the neck I've seen is Danocaster with his secret sauce recipe. IMO Fender Custom Shop aren't doing it very well and seems to be getting worse (although the early Cunnetto ones that Fender outsourced were much nicer) and as for Nash relicing - I'm not sure he's ever seen a vintage guitar :D :fp:

PJazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Location: Bo Diddley Technical Institute of Cryptozoology (European HQ)

Re: NGD: 1964 Fender Jazzmaster

Post by PJazzmaster » Thu May 31, 2018 8:46 am

otis wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 2:27 am
Nice. I like the look of vintage tort on CAR :-*